Tuesday, July 29th 2014, 10:52pm UTC+2

You are not logged in.

• Login

Dear visitor, you are currently not logged in. Login or Register as a new user .

nms

Intermediate

• "nms" started this thread

Wednesday, November 9th 2011, 7:36am

If you're talking about how the DA converters are 24bit 192khz...I'd say either that only speaks of the quality of the converters (like running a 192khz interface at 44k) or the signal is actually being upsampled to 192khz before conversion to analog. In either case though my money is on marketing stats, not performance increase. Marc & Jorg from Access have both said flat out you won't get a better signal from the analog outputs. You will get the same signal, but subjected to the DA converter of the Virus followed by the AD converter of your interface. The best sound starts at the source.. from there it's up to you to keep anything from degrading it in undesirable ways.

Ionis

Intermediate

Wednesday, November 9th 2011, 8:52pm

Well then answer this: If we assume that what you just said is true, I should theoretically hear no difference between the outputs in the Virus TI and recording through USB and the burning a CD and then playing that CD on the same speakers because we have taken the converters out of the picture. With that being said, I am still going to buy a Fireface or Ultralite.

Your 2 cents bro?
/|/|/|/|/|/|/|/|/|/|
Ionis

AtonyB

Professional

Wednesday, November 9th 2011, 10:38pm

Via analogue - you will lose clarity because of noise, and add extra steps in the chain with potential degradation - but if you like it, then it's better. BUT, as nms says, if you want it verbatim from the virus you cannot get better than recording it via USB (of S/PDIF, i guess as that is a digital connection, too, so long as you bitmatch your recording [if that is supported by whatever you are using]) and evidently the virus set at 48kHz as it seems to perform better at this sample rate. Theoretically, then, offline SRC is best to get it to match your project - and I guess most sequencers will do that automatically, anyway.

Ionis

Intermediate

Thursday, November 10th 2011, 12:44am

Cool. Thanks.
/|/|/|/|/|/|/|/|/|/|
Ionis

nms

Intermediate

• "nms" started this thread

Thursday, November 10th 2011, 12:45am

Sure converters are out of the picture on the usb version, but with the analog version you're comparing to the converters will never be out of the picture since the analog is subject to the Virus DA converters followed by your interface's AD converters. You may very well prefer the slightly less clean sound of the analog outs though and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. I find it easiest to compare though when you break it down to single tones and listen to them side by side where it becomes more obvious exactly what difference there is. I like to take a look at the waveform as well for any changes and throw a spectrum analyzer on it. Ears can be fooled a lot easier than eyes can. That weird little ridge that shows up on the waveform in the image I posted earlier this thread is what spooked me from using tha analog outs. I don't know what that is and intend to investigate that a bit more. There's something else weird that I encountered and I'm going to put a separate post up soon looking into it. I have found odd glitches though.. one that happens via analog outs only and one that only happens when the virus is connected via midi.