Tuesday, September 2nd 2014, 11:09am UTC+2

You are not logged in.

• Login

Dear visitor, you are currently not logged in. Login or Register as a new user .

dobrien75

Beginner

• "dobrien75" started this thread

Friday, September 11th 2009, 3:30pm

request for (hopefully) constructive feedback

Hey guys,

I've been making psy trance for a couple of years. My Polar has been really moving me along. I'd appreciate some tech feedback on my "finished" stuff

http://www.psyphi.com.au

I'm trying to build everything myself, using my own samples, and sound design. In general I start with presets and work them over a fair bit.

I use Logic, Native Instruments, Albino and the Polar of course

cheers

Dave

Monomeester

Intermediate

Friday, September 11th 2009, 7:25pm

Hi Dave,

I tried to download your songs but the webpage isn't very clear to me.

Best regards,

Stef

Saturday, September 12th 2009, 11:05pm

Listened to some of your tracks & the thing that really jumps out at me is that you have really over compressed everything...totally squeezed the shit out of it so that it has no substance. Some good ideas but back off the comp.

Monomeester

Intermediate

Saturday, September 12th 2009, 11:59pm

lol had to wait for ages then something popped up to install quicktime. So eventualy i did as i am very curious to listen to everybody's creations.

I only managed to listen to one track and the rest is just could not find, that website needs an update!

The song is not entirely my thing and i can't tell anything about the mix as i listened on my laptop.

Best,

Stef

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Monomeester" (Sep 13th 2009, 12:09am)

dobrien75

Beginner

Sunday, September 13th 2009, 11:18am

Quoted

Listened to some of your tracks & the thing that really jumps out at me is that you have really over compressed everything...totally squeezed the shit out of it so that it has no substance. Some good ideas but back off the comp.

Thanks for the feedback! Compression is always tricky. Psy trance (and trance in general) tends to be heavily compressed. The main reason being that you are, in general, trying to decrease dynamic range i.e. prevent jolts of sound that will affect the trance you're attempting to create in the mind of the listener. More so than say rock or house. On the other hand, I have a focusrite LiquidMix, which might make me a little compression happy :)

Sorry about the site problems. There are MP3 download links which you can use (hopefully) at the bottom of each track page. The site is written in iWeb, which is easy to use, but not the most flexible tool. I'm going to rewrite it in Ruby on Rails over the next few weeks/months.

Monomeester

Intermediate

Sunday, September 13th 2009, 1:03pm

Hi Dave, only for the first oine i've seen an actual mp3 download link. the rest wasn't there.

Hope to listen to other song in near future. :)

dobrien75

Beginner

Sunday, September 13th 2009, 2:56pm

ah. You have to click on each track to get the track page with MP3 link. I might try and jig around the list so the MP3 link shows up there

I might take the quicktime entries off. They take waaaay too long to load, hey

Monomeester

Intermediate

Monday, September 14th 2009, 3:06pm

in my case i had to install quicktime. Think most people don't want to install tools in order to listen to your songs or whatever.

So best is to seperate the movies from the songs, yes.

:thumbsup:

tehlord

Unregistered

Wednesday, September 16th 2009, 1:32pm

I've just had a quick listen to Journey part 1 and it's a very nicely constructed track. I think it would be a very good idea to host the tracks on something like soundcloud or soundclick as there's a bit of a slog to get past the website and onto the music. I also think the messages about the samples used aren't really necessary as they don't really define the track in any way, not the one I listened to at least.

Mixwise I'd like to hear the kick a bit more, it gets lost in the mix sometimes so maybe ducking the bassline a bit will help keep it at the forefront.

Most importantly you've got great energy in the mix, and that's what's hardest to achieve sometimes :thumbup:

Nice work