Monday, July 28th 2014, 2:20pm UTC+2

You are not logged in.

• Login

Dear visitor, you are currently not logged in. Login or Register as a new user .

louis1

Trainee

• "louis1" started this thread

Tuesday, August 23rd 2011, 12:45am

Which USB Cable

Hi all

I have read on these forums that a brand new usb cable has cured a lot of sync and glitch problems with the virus Ti and would like to ask anyone in the know which cable i should buy......

Should i get a Hi speed usb 2 cable and are these the same as usb 1.1 or should i go for the latest usb 3 cable which i believe to be colour coded Blue as they are all backwards compatible..?

Any concise help will be fully appreciated...... :)

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "louis1" (Aug 23rd 2011, 2:31am)

louis1

Trainee

Saturday, January 14th 2012, 5:46pm

No one!!

Saturday, January 14th 2012, 6:58pm

RE: Which USB Cable

which cable i should buy......
These ones make all the difference* :wacko:

To properly answer your question, you will be fine if you buy Hi-speed usb cables

* I'm kidding - you would need to be insane as well as mega rich to consider purchasing these.

louis1

Trainee

Saturday, January 14th 2012, 7:42pm

RE: RE: Which USB Cable

which cable i should buy......
These ones make all the difference* :wacko:

To properly answer your question, you will be fine if you buy Hi-speed usb cables

* I'm kidding - you would need to be insane as well as mega rich to consider purchasing these.

Thanks Ruri...you had me going there for a minute ha ha....Starting at $3549 for 3FT. Evan dearer than the virus itself...you wouldn't be on this forum if you could afford one of those as you could just fly one of the access team over with expences paid for the weekend to get your system sorted..ha

Can i ask you if you use your Ti in stand alone or with Vc.....if Vc is it solid most of the time..

I ask because i feel like i'm almost getting there as it seems to behave a bit better now as i have gone back to running logic in 32 bit to get rid of that bridge that sucks, but still get the odd glitch..

Also thinking of getting the belkin hub talked about on this forum but marc didn't think i needed it but i feel my Ti could be tighter

Saturday, January 14th 2012, 8:01pm

Thumb rules for USB cables

• The shorter the better - no slacks.
  • The thicker the conducting metal, the better.
  • The thicker the shielding metal, the better.
  • Thick insulation...? to some extent it will prevent your cable from bending to the point of tearing, but if you do not move it around or pull it a lot it, insulation thickness doesn't really matter.
In order to really tell where the source of your trouble is, you need a USB sniffer - something like this, only for Mac...

louis1

Trainee

Sunday, January 15th 2012, 11:19am

RE: Thumb rules for USB cables

• The shorter the better - no slacks.
  • The thicker the conducting metal, the better.
  • The thicker the shielding metal, the better.
  • Thick insulation...? to some extent it will prevent your cable from bending to the point of tearing, but if you do not move it around or pull it a lot it, insulation thickness doesn't really matter.
In order to really tell where the source of your trouble is, you need a USB sniffer - something like this, only for Mac...

Wow you really know your stuff in usb cables, could you recommend any outlets that sell these as i would give it a go..I also like the idea of monitoring what is happening between my mac and Ti's usb data as it sounds like it would pinpoint where the problem is like you have suggested..

That said its only if i can understand what to look for and which usb sniffer i should use as their seems to be a few to chose from...come to think of it this is the first time i have heard of this method and wonder why access don't point there customers in this direction at the first sign of usb trouble as it would surly say yes you need this hub or its probably a faulty cable!!! or am i getting ahead of myself and it's not that clear cut..

would appreciate any help with this flabberbob or anyone whose done this...thanks

scientificharmony

Unregistered

Sunday, January 15th 2012, 1:01pm

Starting at $3549! ?

Is it made of Platinum ?

lol

Sunday, January 15th 2012, 8:36pm

RE: RE: RE: Which USB Cable

Can i ask you if you use your Ti in stand alone or with Vc.....if Vc is it solid most of the time..

I ask because i feel like i'm almost getting there as it seems to behave a bit better now as i have gone back to running logic in 32 bit to get rid of that bridge that sucks, but still get the odd glitch..
I use both stand alone & VC depending on what I'm doing, I'm happy to report that when I'm using VC it is solid as a rock - all the time.

I run Logic in 64bit mode, since Reaktor went 64 bit I've just abandoned any plug-ins which needed the audio bridge & I've never looked back.

louis1

Trainee

Sunday, January 15th 2012, 9:20pm

RE: RE: RE: RE: Which USB Cable

I use both stand alone & VC depending on what I'm doing, I'm happy to report that when I'm using VC it is solid as a rock - all the time.

I run Logic in 64bit mode, since Reaktor went 64 bit I've just abandoned any plug-ins which needed the audio bridge & I've never looked back.

Thanks for your reply Ruari....

Since my last post i have used a shorter cable and it rocks now compared to what i had....flabberbob give me a heads up on usb cables so i had a gander on this site

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/conten…omputer-and-dac

These guys want the best but they do suggest that this cable is good for the money

http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=2906

What do you think Ruari on the monster cable for £24 as at the moment i'm just using a standard usb 2 hi-speed cable.

I also think i will follow your lead with only using 64 bit plugins and cut some of the chaff to not ever need to use crappy audio bridge again... as it is i have a couple of uad cards in my system and i should get more familiar with those anyway ha

scientificharmony

Unregistered

Sunday, January 15th 2012, 11:00pm

I would love some advice on my issue with VC and its problem with using a 48hz project.

Would you suggest a shorter cable??

Did it solve the issue for you Louis?