Wednesday, April 16th 2014, 3:27pm UTC+2

You are not logged in.

• Login

Dear visitor, you are currently not logged in. Login or Register as a new user .

Monday, January 16th 2012, 3:00am

How to make this sound...

hi everybody,
Please help me to reproduce this sound...i try and i try but it's too hard for me...i'm starting with my virus ( ti2 deskop)... Please help me

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%…h?v=4SMS7QuPGD0

The sound starts at 1.00...
Thank you very much for your help...

Monday, January 16th 2012, 9:11am

OK, here's a little breakdown of the first minute or so:
  • 15 seconds of kick drum, then percussion comes in.
  • Then the bass and snare are introduced
  • At around 0:30 the first sample of the original song is faded and filtered in
  • At around 0:45 a sawtooth wave based string-like sound is skipping between two chromatic rising scales. The bass line is muted.
  • From 1:00 onwards you have: The whole drum pattern, bass and sequenced samples from the original song. No other synths!
If you are trying to reproduce the sounds from the original song on a synth, I suggest you give a listen to the unremixed song, and try to recreate it as closely as possible. You'll have bass, strings, piano, and a funky el. guitar to deal with. Or just sample it yourself. But don't do anything illegal ;-).
Nile Rodgers is god.

Monday, January 16th 2012, 2:39pm

Thank you for your answer,
But i don't want reproduce the track, but i just want to know if i can produce the kind of sound who starts at 1.00 with the virus...
I like this sound and i want to make it... So if you have some tips to help me....
Thank you very much...i appreciate..

Monday, January 16th 2012, 10:06pm

OK then, as I said this "sound" is actually at least 3 different sounds combined, and then hi-pass filtered (hi-pass filtering is very common in remixes that use the final product as source material instead of the multitrack). The 3 sounds: The most dominating sound is the strings. On top of it there are funky guitar patterns and piano patterns.

For the strings you can use some of the synth strings patches already available, just select category Strings or run a search with the term "str". The strings play long chords. There are also some very impressive piano patches bundeled with the TI, search for the term "pia" or use the categories. The funky guitar is a resonating pluck - a fast attack and decay and can be detuned and/or go through chorus with a very short delay for the resonating effect. It can also go through the vowel filter, or can use a grain/wavetable oscillator but in both cases controlled by a MONO continuous LFO to create a wah-wah effect. Both the piano and the guitar break down the chords into patterns, that you can play yourself or use the arpeggiator.

In the end, for all three patches, use the low EQ, in minimal (most negative) gain, and relatively high frequency, to recreate the hi-pass filtering.

Tuesday, January 17th 2012, 10:42pm

Thank you, really you're great to take some time to help me...but I'm zero...i can't make what i want...
I know the virus is very hard for the new users like me but i'm despered.. For you it seems easy but for me... ;( ...
If you have some time could you try to reproduce a similar sound with the virus just to show me that's possible...
Like that i Could continue to work to get this sound...
Thank you very much

Wednesday, January 18th 2012, 10:00am

Oooh... a challange... OK, but it'll take some time as I am busy beyond belief. So stay tuned...

Wednesday, January 18th 2012, 11:26pm

Ok...no problem...i'm wainting for you and your sound...

Friday, January 20th 2012, 7:48pm

Here comes the walkthrough

Two preexisting sounds:

Mellotron is sometimes another term for strings, if you don't know why, search it...

Push the strings an octave higher:

Give the piano this arpeggio:

And now, to create the funky guitar on part no.3:

And give the guitar this arpeggio:

Duplicate the guitar to part no.4 to create broken chords when the two random arps work together.
Use your DAW to send all 4 parts, the exact same chord sequence. It sould sound like this:

http://soundcloud.com/flabberbob/disco-groove1

Friday, January 20th 2012, 8:11pm

Respect to you...you're great....i'll try...thank you very very much to help me like that...
Thank you...really...

Saturday, January 21st 2012, 12:59am

Thanks!
And I forgot just one more thing - The high-pass effect is gained by doing this to all of the patches mentioned above: