Recording Virus TI 2 (sound is too early)

• I want to record the analog outs from my TI2 in Logic 9 (like I do with all my synths), but the audio file is always (annoyingly) early.
    Is there anyway around this?
    My settings in Logic are the recommended ones.

I want to run the sounds through some outboards, so no, bouncing to disc won't do.
    Out 1+2 -> outboard -> RME800 = early.

Why doesn't it behave like the rest of my synths?

• Just set a bit of pre-delay. The latency is (or should be) fixed, if you aren't using "live mode" (the little D button). This is because of how the VC works.

Thanks for the reply.
    What exactly do you mean by pre-delay?

I love my virus, but this is...kind of a deal breaker in a working studio.

So if this is a limitation of the software, I guess the only other solution would be to hook it up via midi and use it as a sound module.

• Thanks for the reply.
    What exactly do you mean by pre-delay?

I love my virus, but this is...kind of a deal breaker in a working studio.

So if this is a limitation of the software, I guess the only other solution would be to hook it up via midi and use it as a sound module.

the negative delay on the analog outs when using virus control is documented in the manual, the virus control tutorial and the setup guide. at least the setup guide you really should read so you understand how things work.
    in general, using traditional MIDI might help you with the getting the outputs in sync but has so many side effects (sloppy midi timing/sample accuracy is gone, no total recall, no total integration etc. etc.) that you should consider using the USB outs and stream audio into the virus control plug-in. the USB outs are in time.
    Roby31: a bit of pre-delay will not necessarily help. depending on the host, the latency varies and that's why it is so hard to compensate it automatically. activating direct monitoring (the "D" button) does not make the latency vary, it might result in unsettle note timing (AKA know as jitter).

best, marc

ps. if you need to break out of the box and use outboard gear on inserts, logic for instance has an I/O plug-in which allows you to do so. if you use this in conjunction with virus controls USB outs, you get the timing you want and you can continue to use your outboard gear without printing to audio. okay, you'll loose two outs on your RME card but in many cases that shouldn't be a deal breaker.

• Marc
    So what you're saying is that if one want to use analog outs and VC - it's basically unworkable?
    And your workaround is ok - except that involves an unecessary DA->AD roundtrip, which is what I wanted to avoid in the first place.

This was indeed sad news.

• Marc
    So what you're saying is that if one want to use analog outs and VC - it's basically unworkable?
    And your workaround is ok - except that involves an unecessary DA->AD roundtrip, which is what I wanted to avoid in the first place.

This was indeed sad news.

the "workaround" does not involve more conversions than what you were planning in the first place.

best, marc