What i'm gathering from this forum is - pro tools and Virus TI don't play nice

• Is that about right?

I've been digging for hours trying to figure out how to get the RTAS plug to work in Pro Tools 8. I can't even get it to show up. I can get the VST plug to work in ableton, my synth is good, but im mostly using protools right now, so this is incredibly frustrating.

Then as i looked around on this forum, it seems like even if you can get it to work, there are major latency issues that you can't circumvent.

And following that, it seems that access hasn't addressed anyone's issues themselves, so we're all left hanging.

So - should I just take this thing back? I heard so many great things about the access virus I was excited to try one, but now i'm fairly disheartened by the company. Has anyone else gotten RTAS to work in Win 7 64bit with ProTools 8? (not using midi cables thank you very much).

• And after talking to support - wow. Talk about engineers who could give a crap if you remain a customer of theirs or not. This has to be the worst dealings I've ever had with a company. No solutions, just 'sorry'.

Bottom line - if you run windows 7 64bit the 64bit installer won't install any RTAS plugs, I dunno why it can handle 32bit vsts but not a 32bit RTAS. Anyhow, since the 32bit installers detect your architecture you are fully screwed. Will Access help? offer any dates? or anything alluding to the fact that they care about your business?

No.

There are plenty of other synth manufacturers out there, I guess this just cements the fact that I won't be using access products in the future. Can't wait to take this piece of junk back.

• a windows 7 compatible version of protools beta version was released shortly before christmas. at this time, we were working on the initial release of OS4 and were focused on having something to show on the NAMM show in january. we will support RTAS 64 bit in the future but you need to understand that we do things in an order and cannot adopt to every new thing without a certain delay.

here's what avid disclaims about protools 8.0.3:

* Important: Windows 7 compatibility with Pro Tools HD, LE, and M-Powered 8.0.3 software is not fully tested or supported by Avid. (Windows 7 is fully supported with Pro Tools M-Powered Essential 8.0.3 software.) We recommend backing up your system and work files before using this software, or installing a fresh copy of Windows 7 on a different boot drive. In preliminary testing, we have found most plug-ins to be compatible with Pro Tools 8.0.3 and Windows 7.

if you need a working 64 bit RTAS version of Virus Control and you cannot wait, you should indeed take your Virus back to the shop. if you want all protools plug-ins working today, you should not use a 64 bit windows OS since not all plug-ins are compatible as of today.

i can't comment on what support told you but in case you want me to have a look into that case, please provide the support case number.

best regards, marc