OS4 + PT8 Issues

• Hi,

First of all, great work on OS4. I love the new look of the Browser, I love the new sound sculpting possibilities, and for some reason, it works GREAT on Logic 9. Before I could never use the USB outputs (latency was too much for me), now it's practically real-time.

I use two sequencers actually, Pro Tools and Logic. On Logic, everything's working excellently.

There seem to be new problems with the RTAS version though ever since the upgrade to OS4. Note: it was working well before the upgrade (minus latency issues inherent to Pro Tools itself). Now (and I think someone else mentioned this on the forum?) there are some graphical issues (not a big deal) but a serious sound problem.

When you open the plugin, no matter which sound you select, all you get is the default -Init- sound coming out...and it's very crackly, and only plays some of the notes (i.e. if you press 5 piano keys in a row, only 2 or 3 of them will produce a sound). And in some cases the sound plays on both the USB and analog outputs at the same time. Very strange. Wondering if the Access team has noticed any of this, given this setup:

DAW: Pro Tools 8.0.3

Thanks

• When you open the plugin, no matter which sound you select, all you get is the default -Init- sound coming out...and it's very crackly, and only plays some of the notes (i.e. if you press 5 piano keys in a row, only 2 or 3 of them will produce a sound). And in some cases the sound plays on both the USB and analog outputs at the same time. Very strange. Wondering if the Access team has noticed any of this, given this setup:

DAW: Pro Tools 8.0.3

the above combo on a mac pro with protools HD doesn't show that behavior. try to reset your system:

- use another USB port
    - remove all cables of the virus and wait for 20 seconds
    - plug-in all cards again boot the virus
    - cold boot your mac

if that doesn't help (and there is a good chance it won't to be honest) i'd uninstall the virus ti software using the uninstaller application (on mac, use the uninstaller in (applications/access music/virus ti, on PC the onboard software removal tools). then install it again.

hth, marc

• Hi Marc!

I did step one: didn't help like you thought.

Then I did step two, uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled, rebooted. Exact same problems. But it still works perfectly well in Logic 9.1.

Have you tried it with Pro Tools LE 8.0.3 specifically? I'm curious if it's just a problem with LE, or just the latest update of PT?

• i don't have protools LE installed, just protools HD. from what i know that should not make a difference. maybe some other users can chime in and let us know if sound transmission is working for them? you should also get in touch with access support - they have a better background on solving those questions than in have.

best, marc

• Same issues here on PT LE and HD 8.0.3. Gonna try going back to an older Version 3 TI OS. The strange thing is that I load up the tutorial song everything works fine. I wonder if there are certain setting that have changed between the two?

• I posted about issues with Pro Tools a number of months back and went a few e-mail back an forth with support at access and never got it resolved.

Sadly I just don't use the TI stuff when I'm working in Pro Tools I've never really got it to work well even when I've jumped through hoops. I'm pretty confident my hardware is fine as the TI plug-in works great in Logic 9 ... But I have a number of plug-ins on PT that I just can't live without.

So I use just midi through USB and go analog outs from my virus. I actually prefer to do patch editing on the keyboard itself so I don't have to boot logic to edit patches that often, thankfully.

When version 4.0 came out I installed on a snow leopard runnin' intel mac with Pro Tools LE 8.0.3 as well as an old power pc workhorse running 8.0.1

Still doesn't work reliably for me on either platform / version.

I can echo your issue to an extent, when I tried to create a fresh project with the TI RTAS plugin I could only get the init sound to play.

I CAN import from the tutorial song and get things to work but then I get sync issues (unrelated to this issue I'm sure)

The tutorial song is saved as a TDM 7.3.1f125 version ... And I've never been able to create a "fresh" project and have it work correctly.

I'm wondering if anyone can post that they run Pro Tools LE 8.0.1 or 8.0.3 and been able to create a new project, add the TI plugin, set up the midi, and get it to actually work. I.e., not just import from the tutorial song.

I'd love to know that I am just an idiot and it is possible ;)

• I to have the same issue and must start a project through the tutorial

Im working with the updated Pro Tools LE 8 and constantly have to battle with latency issues, all for that authentic Virus sound :P

• I have had my TI for a year & a half & have tried EVERY RTAS version available...they all suck. Sync/ latency/stability issues...theyre all there. I too now just use midi leads & analog outs, its much less frustrating that way although not very totally integrated. If I need the VC I use the VST version in Live which performs much better. I can live without more distortion & filters...how about a stable, usable RTAS version Access?

• Hello,

I can reach all patches, even when I make new projects. (Sure, latency included...)
    Using PT 8.0.1 - 8.0.3 LE.
    TIOS: 3+ / 4+

Suges, Hales you guys using Mac, that may could be the problem...

• I have had my TI for a year & a half & have tried EVERY RTAS version available...they all suck. Sync/ latency/stability issues...theyre all there. I too now just use midi leads & analog outs, its much less frustrating that way although not very totally integrated. If I need the VC I use the VST version in Live which performs much better. I can live without more distortion & filters...how about a stable, usable RTAS version Access?

I concur.

I'm using windows 7 and it's WORSE than it was with XP sp2 or sp3, but it's NEVER worked properly for me either.

SOMETIMES I can get it to work fairly well with ableton 7, but eventually it starts buggin' out and I just quit cuz it's so frustrating.

I'm using my MPC1000 with no USB connect right now and the virus is STILL being strange, hanging on notes sometimes.

If I play a sequence from my mpc, often the virus acts like one of the notes is still on even after I press stop on the MPC.

THIS SUCKS ACCESS!!!

• I should have come back to this thread and updated it...I HAVE finally gotten it to work after a few days of troubleshooting with the Access support guys.

First thing to note is that the Virus is just as picky as Pro Tools is. Any long time PT users know what this means, i.e. there IS a way to get it to run rock-solid but you have to know all its little quirks. This is what I've determined:

If you have "weird" problems like:

- The interface looks messed up
    - That Init sound problem
    - Notes dropping out or getting cut off (sounds like polyphony problems but you know there shouldn't be any yet)

What you actually have is USB issues. I know, me too, you've followed all the steps, TI and the Control Center aren't reporting any problems, it works fine in Logic, etc. Can't explain it. It seems the RTAS version just needs the clearest, most untouched USB line from your Virus to the computer. I confirmed this by unplugging every damn USB device I have, and then checking every single USB port on my Mac (each time you do that, you need to do the 30-second Virus reboot plus a computer reboot), then opening Pro Tools, then loading the tutorial song (which always seems to work), THEN starting a new song, to see if the plugin was okay.

Finally found the right USB port (#3 for me).

Then, one reboot at a time, brought the other USB devices back in and still checked if the RTAS was still working. You gotta be careful what ports you plug the rest of the stuff into. Behind the scenes the Mac is sharing some of those USB ports with each other.

Now it's stable as a rock.

One other thing to try: if you're starting a new session from a template you made or one of the built-in templates, shut down Pro Tools, start it up again in a minute, then start an all-new BLANK session (not from a template), then try to load your RTAS. If that doesn't work, shut down PT, wait a minute, restart PT, load the tutorial song, play it for like 20 seconds, close it, THEN start an all new blank session.

Once you DO have a working Virus RTAS inserted, you should save THAT as a template. It'll always work.

Not very scientific I know but it's working now.

• How to deal with the massive delay problem:

Fist of all, stop shitting on Access for this. I love my PT but this happens because PT doesn't have automatic delay compensation, and the RTAS plugin architecture is pretty crappy compared to the newer Audio Units and VST specs. But you've heard all this before on the DUC.

This is exactly what I do to get the Virus playable in PT:

1. To get the Virus to respond quickly to your keypresses (so you can actually compose with it), set Pro Tools to the lowest buffer size possible. Go to Setup > Playback Engine..., change H/W buffer size to 128. Click Ignore Errors and Minimize Additional I/O Latency. This makes PT snappy and makes the Virus very playable. Make sure to switch this all off and raise the buffer size when bouncing, otherwise you'll have reduced sound quality. Also your computer won't be able to handle it after 20 or 30 tracks so do your Virus stuff first.
    2. Create an Aux track, call it Compensated.
    3. Insert multichannel Delay > "TimeAdjuster long" on it
    4. Set both sliders to 4106 samples on TimeAdjuster
    5. Now, what you do for every new track you make, whether it's an instrument, audio, etc, instead of them going to your Output 1-2 (your main outs), route them to this Aux track instead (including your click track!). Just takes an extra second to set up. So have all of your tracks going through this Aux channel EXCEPT the Virus.

This pushes all the other music forward so it lines up with the Virus. Manual delay compensation.

If you can't deal with this extra delay while trying play an instrument that's not the Virus, you can always temporarily switch its output to Output 1-2, play the part, and switch it back to line things up.

• Thanks for your helpful thread.

It's the policy of Avid (before Digidesign) to allow some important things like delay compensation just in PT HD.
    Thats why RTAS does not work propper in LE.

I agree with you that the latency is handable with a delay plugin - But ARPs won't sync after all.
    It seems the internal clock and the LE clock are not in sync.