Compressor?

• We have an EQ section in the Virus, how about a compressor? Yes I know we have plugins to do such things in our DAW, but we also have EQ plugins as well and the Virus still contains this? I think a built in compressor would be a great way to really add punch and character to a patch, especially bass and stabs where you can really get the attack and sustain to a nice level to help your patch cut through the mix. Would help contain peaks in crazy patches with lots of resonance and the like too. The Virus is all about character right? A compressor can really add some nice character. Doesn't have to be anything too special, just a basic ratio, threshold, attack and release would be sufficient.

Thanks for reading, hope it gets considered.

• the input follower,

i reckon if you use the surround output and send some signal to the input follower you can set up a basic parrallel comp

• the thing is that the input follower does this already in a kind of way

if you could route some of the signal into it then modulate part volume or channel volume with an inverse amount

to act like the threshhold and adjust the attack and decay, bingo ,parrallel compresion

• the thing is that the input follower does this already in a kind of way

if you could route some of the signal into it then modulate part volume or channel volume with an inverse amount

to act like the threshhold and adjust the attack and decay, bingo ,parrallel compresion

Though I appreciate your suggestion, I am looking for something a little less convoluted and a little more cut and dry. I don't want an approximation of a compressor in action, I want an actual compressor. Parallel compression is not what I am entirely after anyhow, I just want something to tame and shape the overall signal from within the Virus itself to help it sit in the mix with a little more control and punch.

• no bother fringe, i was just trying to highlight the fact that most of the math is there for this function

me too,in fact sidechain comp is a must

• I think it would be great just for regulating the volume of the output - I find that i have trouble with different presets being radically different volume, and there is nothing i can do to level them out - a real nightmare for our sound engineer when we're on stage.

I guess this comes from the fact that originally these different sounds would be coming from different pieces of kit, so the different levels could be fixed - but im jumping between them from the same source...

• i'm in on this one,
    a compressor would certainly enhance the character,

the built in compressor in U-he's Zebra2 is a good example how it could be done, i suggest,
    since it's not quite a common comp what you have in your daw/rack, but very effective as a sound-design tool;

an additional comp would also enable you to add some extra gain on patches which lack loudness, but do
    not profit from using a distortion stage;

best regards, gravity