A bug that prevents pro music making on PC's. (on practically all TI OS)

• I wish it were that easy... unfortunately only ESI has a card that isn't a "gaming card" and mets my requirements, the MAYA 44 with MI/ODI/IO addon (interestingly it looks like you can't get a new one over here in germany anymore, at least i couldn't find any shop that sells it anymore), i've already tried it some time ago and i had very bad experiences with it, it was working fine with XP x86, but with Win 7 x64 it was causing bluescreens over bluescreens, the weirdest one was, trying to connect to the internet with the router not beeing plugged in caused a BSOD by the soundcard driver :S So i switched back to my old Terratec EWX 24/96 and sold the MAYA...

• Terratecs aren't made anymore iirc (it's a pity, they're good sounding, even too much for their price! and they work really smooth with windows x64). M-Audio makes simple internal cards with digital inputs but they're not optical (and frankly, although the drivers work for me, i'd not really advice one). RME makes a PCIe one with lots of digital i/o goodness but it's a "bit" pricey.
    I have to say most of the few problems I had with the TI were ironed switching mainboard and usb ports (and were a bit more dramatical than pitch unstableness, which hurts nonetheless - like the Virus suddenly stopping working and such) so I'd advice you to try bring your virus to a friend's house with a copy of your sequencer and the software installer and hear if the bug stays there or not.

• Terratecs aren't made anymore iirc (it's a pity, they're good sounding, even too much for their price! and they work really smooth with windows x64) [...]

Yep, apart from the USB DMX 6Fire (which looks nice, and if it were an internal one i'd maybe choose that one) they now only do gaming/multimedia stuff, which really sucks, the EWX still sounds superb and i never had any problems with it until Win 7, unfortunately the drivers are totally outdated, though causing less BSODs than the ESI ones did, but they're especially causing problems with Flash Player and Virtualization which is pretty bad for me as an "also Flash Developer" :(

[...] so I'd advice you to try bring your virus to a friend's house with a copy of your sequencer and the software installer and hear if the bug stays there or not.

You mean in order to check if it's my setup or a faulty Virus? Guess that's a good idea...

• Yes, just try to find the problem "by elimination". In my case a mainboard which was about to die and then a faulty usb connector were the causes of trouble. for Lightsound, a PCI slot.

• Is this directed to me? If so, i don't really understand what you mean?

I think he might trying to imply is that you can have multiple sound cards to serve different tasks.