ARP Pro-Soloist

• Hi Virus users
    I really like the Clarinet lead on the ARP Pro-Soloist that GENESIS Tony Banks uses
    Is there a patch (stock) in the TI 2?
    Do you know how to set-up the sound design?
    Thanks..... :|

• Clarinet sounds are created using square waves. I believe the Pro-Soloist only has a single VCO, so I'd use only one osc. Then tweak filter and envelopes to taste which is what Tony had to do :thumbup: Take a look at Pro-Soloist info online and see what controls were actually tweakable, then use only those.

I don't have a TI2, but Virus Control can browse patches by name. Try searching for "clarinet", "ProSolo", "Banks", etc. in the TI2 preset banks.

• The controls on the Pro-Soloist are given pretty abstract names - If you want a clarinet sound then you will need to consider using ring modulation, sync the oscillators and use a bit of FM - Then use some very light distortion (i dont remember which model as i am nowhere near my virus, but i'd start with something like medium). Just because the pro soloist only uses one oscillator, it doesnt mean that you'll definitely be able to get a great replica only using one...

You wont get a perfect ARP sounding tone because ARP tended to use an XOR ring modulator rather than true ring modulation - something the virus apparently lacks as a feature (which is a big shame in my opinion, especially since i spend my time reproducing tones created on ARP synthesizers).

Hope that helps a little...

If you have a link to an example I'd get a better idea of what you are trying to achieve.