OS4 Public Beta 4.0.2.01 has been released for testing

• hi guys,
    a new version is available for download and testing right here: http://www.virus.info/start/ - here's a list of issues which have been addressed:

About TIOS 4.0.2 Public Beta

Resolved issues, refinements and new features:

VC: is not in time when operating at 96 kHz (fixed)
    VC: Improved behaviour and performance on multicore systems
    VC: Protools don't playback reliably with more than 1 processor assigned (fixed)
    VCC: Virus Control Center shows "Driver mismatch" in Windows 64-bit (fixed)
    VC: incorrect parameter labels in Distortion and Frequency Shifter section (fixed)
    DR: Virus audio in was distorted in Windows 64-bit (fixed)
    VC: Support for new mechanism to enable automation in Live 8.0.2
    VC: Automation map got corrupted when loading a project using the VST3 Plug-In (fixed)
    VC: Context menus causes Logic 9 to SPOD for 2 seconds (fixed)
    HI: LFO LED swapped under certain circumstances. Needs additional hotfix update!
    VC: Small amount of random global latency in Logic (fixed)

User who experience swapped LFO LEDs need to this version and in addition the "hotfix" updater which is available in the same directory (public beta downloads ).

Known issues:

Graphic Performance under Windows 7 needs fine tuning.

Side chaining into audio instruments is currently not supported in Steinberg Cubase. The VST3 version shouldn't be used in a productive environment.

best, marc

• Installation went without a hitch. 2 problems while using the update however.

1.) Loading a project which previously contained the Virus Control Plugin loaded (VST3) now has NO automation options AT ALL in Cubase 5. You cannot select a single parameter to automate, the list is empty and the R/W buttons are greyed out and are unable to be selected. Starting a fresh project has all automation listed per part as should. This is really bad for those who have projects on the go created from previous versions of Virus Control and relied on using automation as they intended.

2.) A strange crash occurs if you save a project which contained Virus Control, however the Virus itself it unplugged in Cubase 5. I found this out the hard way as I loaded a project I was currently working on just to edit some drums. Since it had no relation to the Virus at all I left it unplugged. The project loaded and operated as should, however, the split second I went to save what work I had done, I was greeted with the following message in a pop up window:

INVALID OUTPUT MAPPING

A OUTPUT CONFIGURATION PROBLEM IN VIRUS CONTROL OCCURED.
    THE PROJECT MAKES USE OF THE OPTIONAL THIRD USB OUTPUT WHICH IS CURRENTLY CONFIGURED TO BE DISABLED. YOU MIGHT ENABLE THE THIRD OUTPUT IN THE UTILITY/CONFIG TAB WITHIN VIRUS CONTROL.

DETAILS:
    -PART 3 IS MAPPED TO THE USB 3

It doesn't just come up once either, it comes up a hundred times at least. The entire screen gets littered with this pop up and the entire program grinds to a halt. If you go into task manager and close out the pop ups more just appear. You are forced to force close Cubase and restart it to allow it to work properly. I can fully understand what the message is telling me, however in previous versions I could have the Virus plugged in or not and have never received this message if I went to save a project I was working on which contained Virus Control. I should not be forced to have the Virus plugged in if I choose to edit something else in my project that has no bearing on the Virus itself. I have done this in the past and have never been greeted with this crash. If the Virus is unplugged, the project should work as should, including saving, however, the parts which are contained in the Virus will not play back obviously. If I have the Virus plugged in this does not occur and by going into the Utility/Config tab of Virus Control I can see the 3rd output is enabled and working. For whatever reason Virus Control just throws a fit about output 3 if the Virus is not plugged in, never 1 or 2 however. Since I have never experienced this in the past I believe it to be a bug or oversight? Can anyone confirm that they are able to load projects and resave them if they contain Virus Control within them even if the Virus hardware itself is unplugged? I know I have been able to before OS4.

Thanks for reading, hopefully some answers and/or a fix to the above can be sorted.

p.s. thanks for the proper labeling of the knobs which were mucked up in the previous release. They are fine now.

• This does not appear to be fixed in the 4.0.2.01 public beta. Unless I set the playback engine to 1 processor, arpeggiators still do not sync properly. Notes drift in and out of sync, and I also get many dropped notes. Below are test recordings I just did.

A 1 minute long MIDI note triggering an arpeggiator patch in the Virus TI with 1 processor enabled in the playback engine:
    http://noleftturn.autisticpig.…rusProToolsSync-1proc.mp3

A 1 minute long MIDI note triggering an arpeggiator patch in the Virus TI with 4 processors enabled in the playback engine:
    http://noleftturn.autisticpig.…rusProToolsSync-4proc.mp3

System details:
    Windows XP Home SP3
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R Motherboard (P45 Chipset)
    4GB DDR2-800 RAM
    Pro Tools M-Powered 8.0.3cs2
    ProFire 2626 (connected via Texas Instruments firewire card)

• "Graphic Performance under Windows 7 needs fine tuning."

1. Is there any improvement yet?
    2. If not, are you saying we have to wait for 4.0.3 or are you working to get it out in 4.0.2 'official release'

I realise I could install and find out myself but just curious ... and at work :)

S.S.

DAW: FL Studio 9.1
    CPU: Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz
    Mobo: Asus PEe
    RAM: 8GB DDR2 @ 800MHz
    Monitor: Dual Sumsung 223bw
    GPU: ATI HD 3870 x2
    Audio: MoTU UltraLite mk3
    Monitoring: Genelec 8020a
    Midi Controller: Edirol PCR-500
    Hard Synths: Virus Ti2 K/B, Tetra4, Mopho K/B
    Fav VSTi's: Omnisphere, Trilian, RMX, Kontakt4
    Microphone: sE2200a

• Installation went fine here on WinXPsp3 32 bit and Cubase 5.
    First try, the virus switched to USB update mode, but the installler couldn't find the Virus ? Also virus control center couldn't find the virus
    Second try everything went perfect.
    So far so good :thumbup:

• Has anyone, including you Marc, had similar happenings in regards to my report earlier in this thread of issues I am experiencing with this new beta. Is it reproducible? I would like to know whether I am alone or not and if not is a fix in the works for a future release? I don't see much point in replying with issues to the new betas if they are not acknowledged. Even a simple we will look into it, or we have reproduced the problem etc would be sufficient enough for me.

• Access - Virus Control is still not able to sync proper to ProTools LE systems after patching to the new beta.
    That means hyperthreading is not the problem.

By playing a lot of notes virus will get some lags, klicks and pops in every case.
    This problem especialy occurs by playingback ARP patches.

• Just realized today that you cannot even change the buffer size of your project if the Virus is not physically plugged in and turned on yet your project contains an instance of Virus Control. The second you go to change your buffer setting from current to a new one you are thrown with literally hundreds of windows explaining problem Number 2 above. I have wrote Access directly about this issue and have heard nothing back for over a week now.

• Just realized today that you cannot even change the buffer size of your project if the Virus is not physically plugged in and turned on yet your project contains an instance of Virus Control. The second you go to change your buffer setting from current to a new one you are thrown with literally hundreds of windows explaining problem Number 2 above. I have wrote Access directly about this issue and have heard nothing back for over a week now.

will be fixed in the next version.

best, marc

• will be fixed in the next version.

best, marc

Thank you very much Marc, exactly what I wanted to hear. What about issue #1 from my first post regarding current tracks now having no automation options possible if using the VST3 version in a project which contained an earlier version of Virus Control before upgrading to 4.02.01?