"Audio driver failed" error

• so far we didn't find a single system we have access to, which makes the audio driver fail. admittingly, this list doesn't include a new 27" imac but this would be the first mac which show a general incompatibility.
    when you select the virus as you system audio driver (preferences > sound > output) - does this work?

best, marc

• hi marc.

just tried selecting the virus in the sound preferences then launching ableton and the virus plug in but still getting the same message "no virus ti connected" followed by "audio driver failed"
    also tried selecting virus as the main output in ableton but still no good. ?(

• catchymunki,

what i wanted to ask is, if the audio driver works as expected when you, for instance, select it sound preferences so systems sounds and other things such as itunes can play through it. or if it works in ableton live if you select it as you core audio / asio soundcard and play just a track through it (don't launch virus control at this point in time). what i'm attempting to do is to narrow down the issue.

cheers, marc

• catchymunki,

what i wanted to ask is, if the audio driver works as expected when you, for instance, select it sound preferences so systems sounds and other things such as itunes can play through it. or if it works in ableton live if you select it as you core audio / asio soundcard and play just a track through it (don't launch virus control at this point in time). what i'm attempting to do is to narrow down the issue.

cheers, marc

Hello Marc,

Thanks for taking interest in this problem, yes I also tried the above said suggestion and I can use Virus as a audio driver, no problem there.

• follow up to my situation:

while Working in Cubase 5, Virus control was intermittent. Sometimes it would load up the first time. Sometimes it took multiple restarts/resets of Virus TI and Cubase 5 before I could work. Once I do get Virus Control to instantiate, I can work on mulitple projects that is until I close Cubase 5.

Worked with Joerg for about a week going through all sorts of possibilities/system reports and still couldn't pinpoint the cause. Joerg was great, just couldn't find out the source of this mishap.

I'm suspecting maybe it was windows xp hotfix update that messed up virus control or maybe it's something in Cubase 5.

I've been able to adapt my workflow to this occurence, but hopefully we can sort this out or pinpoint the cause.

my setup:
    Core I7 920
    Gigabyte board UD3r (speed steppng off)
    Windows XP Home
    Virus Ti desktop
    Cubase 5.1
    Steinberg MR 816
    Motu Micro Lite

• Well i came on here because i'm having the same problem and i was hoping there would be a solution..

Cubase 5, Windows 7, i7 920 / EVGA X58 / Corsair XMS3, Ti1 keyboard, beta OS 3.3.0, motu 828 Mk3.

Pretty much the same as others have described, if i start a new project and open the VC plugin from scratch it seems to work everytime, but work on that project for a while, save it, then come back and try to open it again and most of the time i get the "audio driver failed" message in the VC plugin window.

Can't find a way around it except shutting down cubase & the TI, restarting the PC and trying again.. just seems to be pot luck i can't find a specific method to get it to work consistently even after a full power off / restart of everything.

Needless to say it's more than a little frustrating having to restart the computer 2 - 3 times before i can open a project to keep working on it.

• we have an idea what this could be. the problem is that it doesn't happen here so far, so fingers crossed that we can find a way to reproduce it (and consequently fix it).

best, marc

Thanks a ton for the info Marc. I am sure everyone is grateful for you guys even trying to pinpoint the problem. I am confident you guys will get it sorted.

• Patience runnin out on this one, waiting and waiting. No reply from Access support either, what's going on, usually they are pretty quick on the solutions. Well what else can we do beside wait or maybe sell the Virus and get over with all the problems. Just kiddin, but seriously Marc where r you man? ;(

• the problem we face is to get out hands on a new imac. at least here in germany, they are backordered for weeks. would anybody with an imac 27" / intel i5 processor would like to help us testing a few things? please contact me privately (ms at virus . info)

thanks, marc

Hey Marc,

I'm ready to support also, I already sent you a PM Marc, tell us how can we help.

• please download version 3.3.4.00 which is available within the download section and install it. then run the script below. in our limited tests, this combo will make virus control work (although you will face a couple of error messages when starting it up). we hope to have a more convenient solution in the future but for now, that's the best we can do so close to christmas.

open the terminal window and past the following single line (without speech marks) and execute it:

"defaults write de.access-music.virus_ti.control Axiomatics -bool false"

hth, marc

ps. your guess is right, apple/intel build hubs into their latest USB design.