spdif output not outputing

• Hello all. I've been running various audio sources thru my TI's wonderful filters and FX then into my PC via an audiophile 2496 card. Works a treat when I use an analog out but when I attempt to go via spdif to spare my audio a D/A conversion, I don't get a signal. I asumed I just needed to change the output assign in the Common page but it is not available as an option. I had it in my head that pluging into the spdif out automaticaly bypassed the analog outs but I may have made that up from a list of possibilities in my own head 8|
    Is this evidence that my soundcard is not picking up the spdif out? It works fine the other way, running audio from the card via spdif into the virus, so is this a problem with my soundcard??
    I hope I'm overlooking something glaringly obvious but I'm stumped at the moment!

• Ok, Maudio tech suggested installing an older driver for the audiophile, but this had exactly the same result. The set-up works with Virus clock as master but not as slave.
    My next step would be to try the virus with another spdif clock source but as I don't have one, I'm snookered.

I also just found out it will cost me almost a weeks wages to get the unit shipped to Germany (with insurance) for service. Then after you add the cost of shipping it back and the service charges, I don't think I can actually afford it given that after shelling out money I don't have, I still won't be able to sync it to my soudcard :cursing:
    Now I'm left with a synth I can't use that cost me a relative arm and leg :cursing: And of course I won't be able to sell it as it doesn't work :cursing:

Sorry for the moan, I seen a CS-80 on ebay and the irony of the situation pushed me over the edge ;)

• Hi,
    I have a M-AUDIO Audiophile 2496 and AFAIK it cannot accept an spdif input signal without being slaved to it. Which means you can't use your audiophile as spdif master and receiving spdif in at the same time. Have a look at the audiophile user manual, if my memory is good, this restriction is mentioned.
    At the moment I'm running my virus as a spdif master and my audiophile as a spdif slave. And this is not very convenient, I must say, but it works very well (except under Windows, where my audio driver sometimes get stuck).

• where do you live and where did you buy your virus. and why do you want to send it in?

marc

I'm in the Uk. The retailer I got my TI from is no longer in business (Sound Control). The one I have was actually the second unit I got from them as the first had internal damage. I bought it almost exactly 3 years ago as I had a number of really decent gigs about that time and needed a decent synth. I had noticed some very strange noises (distortion, white noise, clicks, sneezing etc) as soon as I started using. As these were relativley sporadic and I was desperate to honour the work I had at the time, I persevered with this for a bit. But subsequent experimentation with the external inputs and vocoder functions indicated there was something seriously wrong with the unit.

I'm raging at myself for not getting this sorted then but I've had a 2 year break from music due to ill-health and it really has been a couple of years from hell so synths have not been far up on my list of priorities.

• I've had trouble with this setup - perhaps due to differing sample clocks or whatever - I don't know, BUT

Virus SPDIF Out -> Creative X-fi elite pro - no problems works fine
    Boss GT-8 FX pedal -> Virus SPDIF in - no dice, though I will have to try it again, was a long time ago - i think it said 'device not recognised' or something like that...

• This would seem to me to be a quite ridiculous state of affairs. I can't remember reading that in the manual but thanks for bringing it to my attention, will have a gander.

Found it, audiophile 2496 english user manual, at the bottom of page 12 :

Zitat

"in situations where S/PDIF In is being used, the audiophile 2496 should be configured to get its master clock from the S/PDIF In data stream. Without this setting, S/PDIF input will not function. Setting the Audiophile to derive its master clock from the incoming S/PDIF stream keeps the Audiophile in tight synchronization with that external S/PDIF device, and no drift occurs. Digital transfers are therefore precise and bit-accurate."

• Found it, audiophile 2496 english user manual, at the bottom of page 12 :

Thanks for that.
    Need to get a new soundcard anyhow as the audiophile is picking up cpu and gpu noise that apperars at analog inputs and outputs. It's just about tolerable on the monitor path as long as I go direct to my monitors but rules out running thru any outboard as it tends to accentuate the problem. I get so much noise at the input that recording is not possible. The thing is almost 10 years old so I guess it's had a decent innings.
    Cheers

• I've been trying to hook it up to my Creamware (Scope) S/PDIF i/o. I can get it to output sound fine but when I try and send it audio for processing or to use the Atomizer I get nothing.