• Trying to set up my new Virus TI in Logic (9) and I'm having this strange behavior - hoping someone can shed some light. The unit only generates sound on odd midi channels (1,3,5 etc) while even channels (2,4,6 etc.) make no sound. I can see them all receiving midi in the monitor section. This is just with init patches, before any actual patches are loaded.

• This is just bewildering. I'm using the tutorial song to try and get my head around what's going on and it's not making any sense to me at all. Firstly, the behavior I mentioned above is still present, so I'm only hearing half the patches. Next, they're not actually playing when the transport is rolling, despite the monitor section displaying midi activity on all tracks. I can play the sounds (that is, those on the midi channels that will sound) when the transport is still, I can even record note/automation data and see it when the transport is rolling, but no sound. On top of that, when I engage Live mode the Ti stops making any sound at all.

• I ended up re-initializing the unit, which temporarily solved that problem, but it's back, and there are plenty of others too. There's no predicting whether the TI will actually be available in Logic (sometimes it just doesn't show up and I have to restart Logic. Or the TI. Or both. Again), I've had it scream a loud digital distortion at me several times. Sometimes it will play the song, but just random notes, and not in time, and notes played on my midi keyboard will sometimes trigger sometimes not. If I introduce a tempo event to the session it will crash Logic. Currently it's back at the odd/even play/no play state, and I barely have the energy to go through the whole re-init process.

Is com.amv.sage the prefs file for the TI?

• What other USB devices are connected to your setup exactly (besides the TI and mouse/keyboard) and at what audio buffer size are you running Logic exactly? (you can check this in Logics "Audio" preferences)
    Also check the "process buffer range" on the bottom of the same audio preferences panel in Logic.

Best wishes,
    Joerg Huettner

• Process Buffer range is small, and the behavior is the same using any buffer size from 64 to 512. I'm suspecting the same thing you suggest - that the USB simply has more than it can handle. There's a midi interface (Motu Express 128), Frontier Design Tranzport, passive hub w. iLok (and a couple of other dongles) and a Novation ZeroSL all connected to the MacPro. The TI is connected directly to it's own USB port.

• Process Buffer range is small, and the behavior is the same using any buffer size from 64 to 512. I'm suspecting the same thing you suggest - that the USB simply has more than it can handle. There's a midi interface (Motu Express 128), Frontier Design Tranzport, passive hub w. iLok (and a couple of other dongles) and a Novation ZeroSL all connected to the MacPro. The TI is connected directly to it's own USB port.

Also - see if you have the same results if you remove the Novation and Frontier devices, and any other non-keyboard and mouse type USB devices...

Matt

• Crazy that this is still an issue. I'm having the same problem but years later. Im running Logic 10.2.4 with a Virus Ti2

Maybe I'm missing something here but I haven't found the solution.

I'm using an Elektron Octatrack to play the midi which works fine. But when I use the Logic Virus plugin only the odd channels produce sound.

I really wish for an iPad standalone app or something to program the Virus so I don't have to use a computer for intense programming. I'd pay $20 for the darn app.

Please help!
    Thanks in advance.

• if all odd or even midi channels make no sound, it means that one of the two signal processors in the Virus has crashed.

That seems to be a rather coarse way to approach load balancing... does that mean it helps to distribute CPU intensive sounds among odd and even channels to squeeze out more voices? Is it the same for VC or MIDI mode?

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• same for multi/sequencer and Virus Control

Thanks.

And does that mean it helps to distribute CPU intensive sounds among odd and even channels to squeeze out more voices?!

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• you're missing the info that this has nothing to do with Virus Control.if all odd or even midi channels make no sound, it means that one of the two signal processors in the Virus has crashed. please contact support by email.

If that is the case, does that mean that one of the processors is actually faulty?

• I seem to be getting a similar problem now, random notes not sounding, especially on arpeggiators or complex patches. Will log it with support and probably open up the case and check all cables for a sure fit. (The weather has been very warm, lately!)

EG