TB-303 on Virus TI

• hey bud

simple building block issssss.....

OSC.........

use one OSC, turn OSC BALANCE all the way towards OCS 1, set this OCS to SAWTOOTH Wave

Turn PHASE INIT all the way up to 127 (it retriggers the wave every time u play a new note instead of letting the wave cycle constantly)

turn Punch up about 3/4s of the way

FILTER.......

Turn FILTER BALANCE to -64 so only FILTER ONE is working

Set one Filter to LP and turn FILTER ONE ENV AMOUNT up to about 50 or whatever you think sounds better.

Turn FILTER ONE CUTOFF down to about 40-60 and turn RESO up to about 35

add some MIDDLE or HARD SATURATION

this is a very simple building block to get you going to create a TBish like sound, tweak to your hearts content :D

Sam - SJR (UK Trance) - http://www.lostshadows.co.uk

• MANY THANKS ! :thumbup:

• Use the same osc settings but try using the analog 3 pole filter rather than the regular virus filter, and try using the wide distortion rather than saturation, I feel like this nets a more 303 like tone

• I agree, but also add a Low EQ gain at about 110hz with 9db gain. Also add a 1/4 clocked delay and some light reverb to get that awesome old Acid sound. And if you really want that filter to squelch, put a bandpass filter on the 2nd filter cutoff and keep it's value at 0. Put on hefty res on cutoff 2 and put the cutoff filter balance at around *50 toward cutoff 1!!!

I :love: 303's!!!!!

• I was just trying this and managed to make the most analogue sounding set of bass presets I've ever gotten out of the virus. Somehow got 1 saw osc to sound really fat. Still trying to get maximum squelch! I think a combination of moderate wide distortion and slight filter saturation works. If you go too far it just sounds like a 303 through a distortion box.

• You can get some decent 303 sounds from the Ti, but for real quality emulations, there are VST's that do a much better job of emulating it. For example: ABL2, Tau2 and Phoscyon. But even propellerheads Rebirth is pretty good, and is now free.
    All depends on how authentic and squelchy you want you acid to be ;)

- 303 addict

DAW: Cubase 7.5 (x86/x64)
    CPU: Intel i7 930 @ 4.0GHz
    MB: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
    RAM: 3x 2GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
    GPU: MSI GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II 1GB DDR5
    HDD: Intel 320 120GB SSD, 2x Seagate 320GB (raid0)
    Sound: E-mu 1212M
    Monitoring: Dynaudio BM6A Mk2 + BM9S Sub
    DSP: UAD-2 Duo
    USB: Virus Ti, BCF2000, Novation Remote SL...

• I agree, but also add a Low EQ gain at about 110hz with 9db gain. Also add a 1/4 clocked delay and some light reverb to get that awesome old Acid sound. And if you really want that filter to squelch, put a bandpass filter on the 2nd filter cutoff and keep it's value at 0. Put on hefty res on cutoff 2 and put the cutoff filter balance at around *50 toward cutoff 1!!!

I :love: 303's!!!!!

• This thread has a lot of readers, and I know a lot of people want a 303-ish sound. But really, these suggestions are not similar to a 303 sound at all. The V-Synth has a 303 filter emulation, which is a unique part of the sound, and even then its close but not 100%.

So I'd like to open up the thread to a wider topic: what are your experiences with 303 emulation on other synths? x0xb0x seems like the answer, and mine's in the mail right now :)

B

• The Virus is NOT going to sound anything like a TB-303. It's not even coming close enough to honk and wave hello, seriously (I do own a few original and modded 303's, so I do know what I'm talking about).

Audiorealism's ABL2 is the very best software emulation, period (oh, and get it on your iPhone / iPod Touch for just a few bucks here: http://tinyurl.com/303808909). It does every little thing just right.

D16's Phoscyon is a very decent runner-up with some extra's, but also some minor weaknesses.

Imho all the other software based options aren't worth your time for getting an authentic sounding 303 sound. (But, of course, if you like how it sounds, who cares...)

˙ɯǝɥʇ ǝsooɥɔ ǝɯ ʇǝl ʇ,uoʍ ɯnɹoɟ pıdnʇs sıɥʇ ʇnq 'ɹǝɔuǝnbǝs puɐ SO ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ǝsn I

• Amen.
    It's about the sound YOUR going for.

But I do disagree, you can get some "pretty close to the TB-303" sounds out of the Virus. At least close enough that when it sits in your mix the listener will say: "Awesome"

• As a TB-303 owner your perspective is very valueable, although you hit the nail on the head with the "(But, of course, if you like how it sounds, who cares...)"

I was looking to get the acid "feel" (not the excact sounds) and this forum summed it up perfectly.

Thanks yall
    Shark Bizarf

• 303 madness for Virus TI:

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.