A little help please - Virus Audio Quality

• Hi folks,

I have been having a little trouble with the mixdowns from my virus. When I render a file I get little audio glitches, crackles and errors. I have installed OS4 today and things are improved but when for example, I mixdown say the ClubSub patch, I get little audio defects here and there. My question is, is this normal?

I know that may sound like a silly question but I can't seem to get rid of these noises. They are often quite faint but they are there!

Could anyone be so kind to listen to this file and tell me if I have a problem? The noises are not on each note, just here and there. I have marked in the comments section on Soundcloud where I hear glitches. It is very noticeable in places when played on studio monitors. You may need to download the wav to hear some of the less obvious noises.

http://soundcloud.com/aliciapi…-gsharp-x3-long-os4-final

If it's normal, I just need to know. I can get a perfectly clean file if I render it 15-20 times, one is usually clean.

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers
    Ciaran

• Hi there, thanks for giving it a listen. I am mixing down via USB. That file was created by the store I bought the virus in. They are currently doing some tests on it and they think the virus is functioning correctly. The info I got on that mixdown is the following.....

G sharp Key and the following

"ClubSub MS2 tweaked
    "ClubSub MS" preset
    "%SOFT% CC" with filter attack turned up slightly.

I'm not sure exactly what they tweaked, will ask them tomorrow when they reopen. In your opinion, is there an issue in that mixdown? I find it difficult to believe a synth with such a good name mixes down like this. I don't know if the store noticed the glitches, possibly not.

Cheers again for your help and input.

Ciaran

• This could be audio buffer underruns from a poorly set up system. USB selective suspend could be enabled (this caused such glitching for me). The audio track to be clipping slightly. There are number of possible explainations - one would have to fiddle around with it to work out what.

• It shouldn't be that way, but you need to provide some more info about the setup you are using (what host, buffer sizes, soundcard etc), possibly a small project demonstrating the problem. With all this information you should also address support directly, so they might troubleshoot the settings ( I think it is only a settings issues, but to tell for sure, please contact support ).

for a first step into the right direction, check if it also happens if you are using the Virus as ASIO/CoreAudio soundcard.

cu
    -timo

• Hi folks,

Thanks again for your interest and advice. The system that file was mixed down on is a Windows XP system belonging to the store that I bought the unit from.

However, I get the same results on my own system, very often worse!

My system is a Quadcore Imac with 8G of Ram. I am running both Cubase 5 and Logic 9. Im am running Mac OS X Snow Leopard. I use the Virus as my ASIO/CoreAudio soundcard. I have also tried rendering with an mbox 2 with simialr results.

I also own a PC and a Macbook Pro. I get the same results on all.

Does anyone notice that the tuning on this file is slightly out. Not majorly I admit but it does vary. Should the tuning be rock solid or should there be minor variations?

Cheers folks,

I appreciate your time and help

Ciaran
    Suburban Dream

http://subdream.net