Backup battery question

• Thanks for all info. I find it cumbersome that giving useful answers is so difficult... also the answers to the initial question seem to be logically correct. It's like the old programmers joke when being asked to do A or B and the logical correct answer given is YES...
    So the result is now: Virus TI has a backup battery and it is placed in a battery holder that makes exchange possible without soldering...?... if you are a qualified can opener... LOL ^^

Concerning the non volatile 'Rom' memory - that could be an EEPROM, Flash or similar.. but that does not really matter much for the user. :D

• well well well

the time has come, battery in my polar is dead, it needs to be replaced
    how difficult is it ?
    I looked at the bottom and saw many screws ... :S
    Should I unscrewed all of them in order to get access at internal main board ?
    any tips or advice ???

thank you boys

• Is it correct, that you improve the lifetime of a virus by keeping it in stand by mode instead of take it off the power supply? will it really :huh: encrease the lifetime of the capacitors inside and the lifetime of the batterie???

the virus doesn't draw power from the battery when it is on or in standby. so, yes, having it switched "on" all the time does help, at least in an indirect fashion. at the same time, everything beyond 3 years lifetime is pure speculation. if you use virus control frequently, you have an up-to-date backup of the content of the RAM banks.
    marc

• Read your manual. It says that you want your Virus TI's battery changed every about 4 years. Of course if you keep it standby most the time, with the power cable plugged in, you'll improve the battery's life. (And also you'll improve the life of any capacitor that's in the Virus. Caps like to be always powered.)

This is interesting stuff Roby.
    I noticed that my TI2 keyboards chassis remained at about room temperature when left in standby under a keyboard cover yet when completely unplugged the metal goes cold to the touch. I felt that with even that low an amount of heat being produced I might be shortening the life of my keyboard by leaving it plugged in and on standby all the while. I even purchased a remote control wall socket so I could easily power off completely after use. I'm now left pondering your comments on capacitors. I heard they can go dry and assumed that this would be under power/heat conditions, but not being an expert I'm assuming I might be wrong then?
    Could you or Access give a definitive answer on which option (plugged/unplugged) will best serve the interests of longevity for my keyboard?
    Thanks a lot.

• I have the same problem and I need to open it, but the video didn't help me so much. Could someone please help me answering here or to this thread?
    Changing backup battery, opening Virus Polar Ti1