So, how do YOU use the LIVE mode?

• With LIVE mode on, Virus parts playing recorded MIDI are out of sync with the project.
    With LIVE mode off, recorded MIDI is OK, but latency is too high for playing (4096 samples ~ 93 msec).

This is not a problem if you just want to paint some notes on the grid - simply don't use LIVE mode.
    But what do you do if you have recorded something (e.g. a bassline) and want to play a melody along with it?
    Or is it something Virus users never do? :P

• With LIVE mode on, Virus parts playing recorded MIDI are out of sync with the project.
    With LIVE mode off, recorded MIDI is OK, but latency is too high for playing (4096 samples ~ 93 msec).

This is not a problem if you just want to paint some notes on the grid - simply don't use LIVE mode.
    But what do you do if you have recorded something (e.g. a bassline) and want to play a melody along with it?
    Or is it something Virus users never do? :P

I don't get such a high latency with live mode off even with the windows 7 interface quirk. What host are you using? What soundcard?

• Soundcard is MOTU Ultralite Mk3, with 128 samples buffer. I can try lowering it to 64, but in fact 128 is recommended in Virus documentation.

DAW is Reaper - yeah I know it's not officially supported, but I suppose plugin's latency should not depend on host anyway.

What is your host, and how much latency do you get?

• Soundcard is MOTU Ultralite Mk3, with 128 samples buffer. I can try lowering it to 64, but in fact 128 is recommended in Virus documentation.

DAW is Reaper - yeah I know it's not officially supported, but I suppose plugin's latency should not depend on host anyway.

What is your host, and how much latency do you get?

that problem might be related to reaper. we don't test against unsupported hosts - can you please send a report to support so we might be able to look into it?

thanks, marc

• Marc, I followed your suggestion and described my situation to support. The answer I got was: the main problem here is simply that Reaper is not a supported host for the Total Integration. I then asked if maybe something in Reaper needs fixing, and the answer was:

Zitat

What we are doing with the total integration is anything but trivial and therefore is only guaranteed to work in supported hosts, since we need to adjust the plugin so it works in every supported hosts.

I was actually hoping that the problem might be in the way Reaper handles VST plugins, since Reaper developers are quite responsive when it concerns fixing bugs. It seems however that it's the plugin that must be adjusted, and nobody's going to do that. Alas ;(

• Marc, I followed your suggestion and described my situation to support. The answer I got was: the main problem here is simply that Reaper is not a supported host for the Total Integration. I then asked if maybe something in Reaper needs fixing, and the answer was:

I was actually hoping that the problem might be in the way Reaper handles VST plugins, since Reaper developers are quite responsive when it concerns fixing bugs. It seems however that it's the plugin that must be adjusted, and nobody's going to do that. Alas ;(

i think you read it a bit wrong. yes, reaper is an unsupported hosts and support team will not be able to help you out (partly because they don't know reaper well). my intention was to get an example of what is not working so we can have a look at it, time permitting.

marc

• Everything seems to be working, it's just that the latency is very high. Reaper shows plugin's latency in a tooltip, this way I know the exact numbers:

LIVE mode off:
    [Blockierte Grafik: http://ljplus.ru/img4/b/o/boreg/virus-pdc.jpg]
    LIVE mode on:
    [Blockierte Grafik: http://ljplus.ru/img4/b/o/boreg/virus-pdc-live.jpg]

I tried different buffer sizes for the audio card, but these figures did not change much. At the lowest setting, PDC dropped to about 3800, but LIVE PDC never got below 1024.
    If there's any additional information that may help, I'll be glad to provide it.

• Everything seems to be working, it's just that the latency is very high. Reaper shows plugin's latency in a tooltip, this way I know the exact numbers:

(...)

I tried different buffer sizes for the audio card, but these figures did not change much. At the lowest setting, PDC dropped to about 3800, but LIVE PDC never got below 1024.
    If there's any additional information that may help, I'll be glad to provide it.

what you see is totally normal and the way it should be. you can use live mode during recording but switch it off when you playback, you will compromise timing otherwise.

best, marc

• This is something that I think could be a little clearer. Correct me if I am wrong - but I see it this way:

Live mode OFF:

The latency is high, but consistent (so it will always be 3048 samples off, or whatever) - no use for playing live since the delay is too long to work with, but good for recrording/playback because you can use PDC or simply offset the recording by the appropriate number of samples

Live mode ON:

Great for playing live for leads, etc. due to the lowered latency, but the latency may not be constant (so it will vary in real terms between, i dunno, 1000 and 1048 samples or whatever). This makes it inappropriate for recording or using tempo linked parameters, LFOs or Arpeggiators as they will, over time, get out of sync.

That is what I extrapolate from my usage, anyway.

I use live mode for playing around and getting the sounds right - I then go out of live mode when I actually record (assuming the part is MIDI sequenced, if I'm playing in then I have to go for live mode usually).

• have you tried setting the synth part to Direct analog out1+2 (or pressing the "D" button next to "Mute") with live mode off
    you bypass any software effects but you end up with zero latency.

then turn the "D" off for that track on play back leaving live mode off for consistent timing info... see if that works?

save live mode for running through software effects maybe, i dunno