Making dark-electro music with Virus TI

• Hello,

I was wondering that so many people say "You can use an Access Virus TI only for making trance and techno", I just want to introduce my dark-electro music project "Schwarzes Fragment" to show, that it can also be used for different other styles than this.

For making this kind of EBM, dark-electro, darkwave, gothic music I'm using two Access Virus TI. A Keyboard and a polar. As sequencer software I'm using Steinbergs Cubase. For natural sounding strings and pianos I'm using Propellerheads Reason with some special refills.

Please be aware that this kind of music style is undground gothic music between EBM, dark-electro or whatever and is not everbodys darling

MySpace:
    http://www.myspace.com/schwarzesfragment

Bandcamp:
    http://schwarzesfragment.bandcamp.com/

• I agree, you can use the virus in all kinds of music. I use it in just about every production from breaks to house to chill out etc. Anyway after reading about the 'dark, gothic' music you are making I was kinda expecting something along the lines of The Sisters of Mercy or something...not the case here though. The synth lines on the first track are borderline tiesto cheese & when the 'singing' started I almost pissed myself laughing...sorry. I would definitely recommend listening to some of the Sisters albums...nobody does dark gothic better than they did IMO.

• Can you explain what dark-electro has to do with dark gothic? I explained what dark-electro is! Between Sisters of Mercy music style and real dark-electro are a billion times of differences. Check those band like Blutengel, Project Pitchfork, very old Apoptygma Berzerk songs a.s.o. on youtube out and you can see that dark-electro is very common music style in europe, especially in germany, also with those kind kind of distorted vocals.

Piss yourself off and learn to read!

*facepalm*

BTW: I saw Sisters of Mercy live - yesterday - in Hildesheim, Germany. A few months before in munich they've played full playback (also e-guitars). Yeah! That's soooo cool!

• I'm sorry but your 'music' is neither 'Dark' or 'Electro'...at least not in the recognised meaning of the words anyway.

• Well I guess 'dark electro' does sound better than 'pale grey power pop' or 'cheezy trance having a bad day', but since your music does'nt contain any of the elements it's name suggests it's easy to get confused. I vote we shoot the dick head music journalist that came up with name for the genre...but then we'd have to kill them all ; )

Cheers,

Berni.

• I don't have to shoot music journalists as they've already wrote in music magazines (also printed and huge ones) about this project. They've named it also dark-electro. Don't know were the problems is o_O But anyway - I think people listening to this kind of music very much know what they have to expect from this project or the music style term "dark-electro" - especially here in the middle of europe ;)

• LOL this dose not sound like Dark electro man bwha ha ha ha more like 90's wanna be dark electro.

I don't know how the music scene is over there in Europe but in Australia "Electro" is completely different to what your saying and Dark is no way near what you meaning either.

But thats what they might call it over there.

But thanks for the laugh mate, Dark electro bwha ha ha ha ha ha to funny

• I don't know how the music scene is over there in Europe but in Australia "Electro" is completely different to what your saying and Dark is no way near what you meaning either.

According to you, what should "Dark Electro sound" like ? Could you give us some examples?

BTW Schwarzes Fragment reminds me a lot of Project Pitchfork. If this was the goal, I think it's reached :thumbup:
    Yes, the chord progressions are cheesy, and so are the synthlines, I'm not a big fan, but this is how the style should sound anyway. And yes, it sounds "old", but what's the deal?

Style consideration put appart, if you're accepting some constructive criticism, I have some remarks:
    I think the voice line is a little too monotone. It's too often stuck on the first degree of the scale, or following the fundamental of the chord (e.g Flammenherz). What about add a some melody to this?

And an extra midground synth line doing something more "melodic" (something more complicated than repeated octaves, like an arp) could also greatly improve the thing. Listen for example to "Project Pitchfork - I Leave Your Dream", the piano melody during the chorus is an example of what I mean. "The Lack of Yourself" clearly goes into this direction btw :thumbup:

Another last thing, as an overall impression, the songs lack "interesting events". I think this due to the chord progression staying the same for too long, combined with the fact that all the foreground layers follow the fundamental of the current chord (It sounds like every measure is a transposed version of the previous).

Anyway, good luck with your "dark electro" project ;)

• Hello Ace17 :)

Thank you for your constructive criticism! =) As it seems you are aware what I'm trying to tell. And yes, if it reminds you of Project Pitchfork than the goal is reached ;)

"The lack of yourself" was my last song, which is the cause, why it sounds more melodic. The project has to grow from song to song =)

I'll try to realize some of your criticism in my next song!

I'm not sure why the other people are laughing, but as it seems, they have a different understanding of electro-industrial and especially the style dark-electro.

Maybe it's a good idea to get an answer from >ray< to this question

Zitat

Quoted from "ray"
    I don't know how the music scene is over there in Europe but in Australia "Electro" is completely different to what your saying and Dark is no way near what you meaning either.

Zitat

According to you, what should "Dark Electro sound" like ? Could you give us some examples?