Why would you use both Filters in serial???

• There must be a good purpose having Filter 1 and 2 but I cant seem to get my head wrapped around the offset the second filter provides,

For example using SER4, I use a LP filter on Filter 1, Filter Balance is Centered, cutoff link is enabled. Filter 2 is LP as well. With Cutoff enabled i create a bipolar cutoff on filter 2. NOW when i offset filter 2's cutoff whats really going on? I don't understand what i am gaining that couldn't be done by using Filter 1's Cutoff in low-pass. Is this just a bad example using two filters with LP? Should this be utilized more for different types of Filters in Serial, like LP to BP?

Hope this post doesn't give anyone a headache.

Thanks!

• well it really depends. I feel you should really decide what exactly you intend to do with both filters.Using 2 LP filters with filter balance centered will basically give you a 4 pole setting. You could also get that with just 1 filter say filter 1 in ser 2 mode. But I guess it really about using it creatively.I use both sometimes when I use envelope 1 on filter 1(SER 2) but I don t want to reduce the envelope amount but would like it not to be very obvious. So I ll use filter 2 in LP adjusting the filter balance towards the center. Also when I use filter 1 in an extreme situation like really low I get a boomy low end.Then I use filter 2 as HP or BP to clean up a little rumble. I generally prefer not to use cutoff link cause as you said , there s not much of a point in doing that. Another setting where I d use both filters in LP SER 1 is lets say filter 1 cutoff to a 3 o clock position and filter 2 9 o clock but without cutoff or filter link.Then when I adjust the filter balance , it works magic !!!!!!!

• There's heaps of uses for having 2 filters in series. I'll give you some examples:

notch/ band reject filter on filter one into filter 2 as a low pass or bandpass with the cut off link off. Have lfo 1 modulating filter 1's cut off slowly and say lfo 2 modulating filter 2. The band reject filter adds some subtle movement to the patch. Good for pads/leads/bass etc

High pass into low pass creates a 12db bandpass filter and you get more control over the bandwidth by changing the difference between filer 1 + 2's cutoff with the cut off link on.

As Aman mentioned you can cut out low rumble with a hipass then into a low pass or bandpass , works well for bass.

Last thing you can drive the signal with the 1st filter by turning up the osc volume above 0. You can then say have it as a low pass with the dial fully up allowing the saturated signal through to filter 2 so you can get more harmonics pre filter. Have cut off link switched off for this also.