Creating my own sounds.. Any help would be wonderful!

• Hey,

I'm new to the forums, looking for some insight on how to program synthesizers to sound the way I want them to... i've been trying to just tweak it on my own and I'm not getting much success... I've been messing with my Virus TI Desktop Synth for quite some time now, following tutorials and watching videos and reading articles online and even tried reading a book but didn't feel like i got much out of it. (not exactly the best book for creating patches though) I'm feeling very frustrated but I don't wanna give up! It's a huge passion of mine, Its my dream to create music and to give someone else the same joy that other artists have given me through their music. So, I feel it's time that I ask someone that will know how to help and has figured this out for them self already. I have the dedication and the desire, I think I just need some direction.

I have however, created a few songs, (one of which I have on my artist page on myspace) so I've managed to teach myself a little bit, but I used presets and just tweaked knobs, I didn't start from scratch. If you'd like to listen and think it might help you to help me then here's the link: http://www.myspace.com/softlysound

A friend of mine gave me the idea to try and recreate a patch from an artist that I like. Maybe that's a good start? So I'll include this link to a song called "In the Dolphin Tank" by Port Blue Song link: http://www.myspace.com/portblue. I would have done this already but I honestly don't know what I'm doing... just spinning knobs and listening... I would love to know how to recreate the patches in that song and anything else, I really wanna know all that is happening throughout.

(You can always instant message me on aim if that makes it easier. AIM Username: xarzie)

If anyone would be willing to help me in any way, I would be extremely grateful and couldn't thank you enough.
    And sorry for writing a novel, but if you've read this far then thanks for your time, its nice to know that someone cares or at least is willing to make an attempt to help.

All the best,
    arzie

• start off with simple patches
    there are init patches which are blank starting points
    and just tweek the life out of it
    there are of course tutorials for the virus in the download section but IMHO these will only help you get stared and not really develope your own thing
    which is why we went and bought a virus in the first place

• I went through the same problems when I got my first virus in 2007.

Found it hard to work with and make the sounds I wanted, after lots of practice I am now able to make the majority of sounds needed for my productions, just keep tweakin, you'll get there eventually dude :)

SJR

• Alright. Well, I gotta give it to you guys for figuring it out on your own. It's hard work!

Thanks alot for the encouragement. I guess I'll have to just keep tweakin!

If you come across any helpful tutorials or any other hints/tips/tricks for learning, please let me know! Here on the forums or on AIM. (aim: xarzie)

Once again, thanks for your responses, it means alot.

• its not hard work mate
    just have to start simple

bass
    lead
    pad

once you get the jist of these all you do is add or adjust a parameter and embelish the patch

remember that just because you have hundreds of parameters to tweek doesnt mean you have to play with all of them

and also NOTHING THATS EASY IS WORTH DOING

after a few weeks of head scratching im sure your eggs will hatch

• Again mate, practice makes perfect, don't stress yourself with trying to create amazing sounds or sounds from your fave tracks, just program some simple patches to get to grips with the way it works, then as you understand it more, move onto greater things :)

SJR