Virus B - Multitimbral

• Is there anyway that I can use different patches of a Virus B on different tracks in Logic Pro or Ableton?
    Or any other DAW for that matter?

When I select MIDI Channel 1 on a track it works fine. If a create a new track and
    i select MIDI Channel 2 nothing happens - absolute silence on the respective track.

I heard that the multitimbral part on Virus B is pretty much unusable due to polyphonic limitations (Wikipedia)
    but I just wanted to make sure that there really isn't a solution to this.

Thank you.

• wikipedia said what?
    multi mode on my virus b rocks mate
    dont know what there going on about

make sure you have the part enabled
    and try using the multi single mode(hold down both the keys together)
    any probs private mail us

• Yeah. I can play the multi parts on a channel (I hear multil-layered sounds), but I haven't figured out yet
    how to split each sound on each different track.

And that's good news what you're saying !

I'm pretty new to hardware and I took what Wikipedia said for real.

Thanks a lot !

• any synth that has 16 parts is going to have polyphony probs you just have to be smart with the way you use it.

ok give this a try

hold down MULTI+SINGLE
    then press CTRL
    then use the parameter buttons to select PART ENABLE=on
    then set your PART MIDI CHANNEL
    then use the PART SELECT to set up the other channels
    Also check the volumes

• does anyone know where wikipedia lives so i can go and put a brick through their windows

what other crap have they got wrong as well

MATT i would sue them for slander

• I Think this one....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Access_Virus

Quote:
    Lastly, the Virus has always been 16 parts multitimbral for multilayered patches and ensemble performances. However, up until the Virus TI, this aspect of the Virus has been severely flawed and is often considered unusable because of the polyphonic limitations of the Virus A, B and C.

the virus b has 24 voices. i doubt that you can play 16 parts at the same time in a musical fashion. the reason why it has 16 parts is that you can use different parts at different positions within the arrangement. fast forward to today, it seems that a limitation of voices in a hardware synth doesn't make much sense because we are all used to soft synths which depending on the cpu do not have this problem. funnily enough track freezing exists in modern DAWs for exactly the same problem...
    what should be important is the sound you get. if the polyphony is exceeded, bounce it down and free voices up.
    if you listen to the virus b demo song you will hear a musical arrangement, in fact a whole song. when i did it years back, i didn't struggle with the 24 voices so much but with the 16 parts because i wanted to show as many aspects of the synth as possible.

check this page on the access website and select "Endorphins" - this is a Virus b and i bounce down tracks. the hardware plays it back all at the same time.

best, marc