Virus Indigo too quiet

• Hi,

i got my used virus indigo today and found out its volume is very low in my logic 9 compared to my software synths. I´m using a audiointerface from echoaudio (audiofire 2) and connected the two line-in to the the virus. My audiointerface dont let me change the line-in-volume, so is there any chance to get more volume out from the virus by changing any software setting in the synth? I tried to set the volume of some single patches to maximum but its still way to quiet.
    If there is no way to change any softwaresettings, what can i do? Buy a Mixer with preAmp or something like that?

Thanks for your help

8|

• Lower the other tracks in your DAW, turn up the amplifier on your monitoring system.

Use a gainer plugin on your Virus' channels in the DAW.

You're the first person I know of that complains about the Indigo volume levels. Usually the fuss is about the TI which is even more quiet.

• Thanks Roby. To lower all other Softsynths is sure a possibility but i think i like it more when all synths in my working environment are at the same volume. i think i dont like to work with all other synths at volume -20 when the virus is at Zero. A also tried a compressor on the virus channel. Anyway if there is no possibility to make the virus output louder i think about buying a preamp or something like that.

• It's a matter of your soundcard and not the Virus. Our Viri output a fairly high signal, approximately +4dB. Anyway, I got the same issue with my soundcard (Presonus Firestudio). The Line level inputs just can't be clipped by anything.

Connect your Indigo to a DI box and run the signal from there to your mic preamps. It does wonders!

• Yeah, just like that. A user has asked them why they gave THAT much headroom to those inputs and the answer he got was that those inputs are intended for use with high-output preamplifiers. Well, I don't know.

What I know though is that the Virus output is the strongest amongst my other synths (NL2, XS6, SH-201, Blofeld), but still it can't drive those inputs. Funny is that it can clip my DJ console and any other consumer level inputs (-10dB). So the fault is in the design of the cards, cause much headroom is nice, but way too much is a problem again.

The DI-box -> MIC Preamp solution quite worked for me but it costed some more Euros... Oh well.