record automation from virus control to logic 9

• Hi
    i'm trying to figure out how to record automation from virus control instead of using he knobs on the virus snow.
    i do as usual with soft synths : set automation to touch, hit play and move the knobs on virus control ; logic won't record anything .
    when i open the list of automation parameters in logic, i can choose one and draw it , it works .
    do i hi have to enable something on the virus ?
    i've looked everywhere ...

• Hi lore
    How you described (Automation) in Logic 9 is correct.
    Only thing I can think of is in logic's Preferences / Midi / Automation.......is plug-in ticked ?
    Have you got correct matching midi channels set ie: in Logic & virus & correct ?
    Main outs in virus ie: USB 1 etc NOT outs 1+ 2
    The (D) is NOT lit on virus's midi channel.
    Just open a example project & try so you don't stuff up anything important !!
    Hope this helps in some way.....
    Cheers to ya :D

The Fact Is......"We are all tactile creatures & physical interaction has always been a big part of making music" :D

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Zummooz ()

• Hi Zummooz
    i've checked all .also with Virus TI Snow Tutorial Song
    i can't record automation when using virus control knobs , when i use the hardware knobs it works , so on midi side everything should be ok , main out usb 1 L+R
    when i right click on a knob i don't get any menu , is it normal in logic ?

i don't understand what you mean " The (D) is NOT lit on virus's midi channel. " i've a virus snow where sholud i see the D ?
    thx 4 your help !

UPDATE : i managed to record automation from main parameters (cut off ..res ...) but some knobs don't transimt data i.e: in the LFO page in VC i can't record the knob that sets how much lfo 2 modulate filter "lfo 2-> cutoff 1" or all the other knobs on this page ...
    normally, when i right click a knob, shouldn't i see a menu ? so that i can add that parameter to automation , like in cubase ?

• Hi lore
    (D) is for direct audio in virus ti desktop….
    Sorry ignore about (D) button it's not on snow virus…my fault !!
    Your snow must look like page 9 in addendum pdf. Where as my virus desktop
    looks like page 44 of same pdf. Sorry for confusion…

OK lets try this…
    In Logic 9 go to say midi track 1….Open little triangle bottom left corner, which opens up automation lanes.
    Click on rectangle box (that probably says volume) which opens menu.
    In here should have something saying (main & 1 virus ti or in your case might say 1 virus snow)
    In this menu go to virus snow & select part 1 (as your on midi track 1)
    In here should see a complete list of all parameters to set controls to.
    Select what you want to control in this automation lane.
    Repeat doing as above mentioned (In a new lane) to which ever parameters you want.
    This all works fine & easy in logic 9 & desktop virus ti....I hope it's much the same as snow virus.
    When selected parameter you should be able to move level meter left hand side of auto lane
    up & down & at same time see movement in virus control knobs , or move selected parameter
    in virus control & see that meter going up or down in logic auto lane.

Can right click in virus control...But that just changes different menus in different settings !!
    I think what your saying about right click & don't see a menu, is you don't need to, it's done in the DAW
    But this is sometimes the case with other plug-ins thou…Example Native Instruments

If i'm wrong about anything mentioned here, I'm sure someone else will chime in.
    Shouldn't be that much difference between Virus Ti Snow or Virus Ti Desktop.
    Also remember Logic 9 has different ways of working than Cubase….I moved from Cubase 4 to Logic 9 & love it.

I'd get you to send your logic project to me ,but thats no good as I don't have snow !!
    Sorry for delay ,I think where in different parts of the world….I'm Downunder in Sydney Australia
    Hope this helps a bit more
    Cheers to ya & let me know if this gets you up & running !! :D

Edit....Example of what I stated above is on page 7 of 'Apple Logic Tutorial' pdf
    Also this Quote......taken from Virus Ti setup guide page 20
    About automation
    The Virus TI allows you to automate every feasible parameter of the sound engine.
    The parameters which cannot be automated are those which would create an audible artifact were you to change
    them whilst you play a note.
    Amongst these are, for instance, oscillator types which switch algorithms within the sound engine.
    Either all parameters are automatically “enabled” for automation, or you need to enable a parameter manually
    by right-clicking on it in Virus Control and choosing the option to add it from the contextual menu.
    Whenever possible we’ve used the automatic mode which saves you the step of enabling a parameter for automation.

The Fact Is......"We are all tactile creatures & physical interaction has always been a big part of making music" :D

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Zummooz ()

• Seems to be broken at the moment... Noticed a post from Marc saying its a known issue and will be fixed in a coming update.

Works in 64bit mode for me with 1 Ti and actually seems to work with 2 Ti's connected although I haven't had my other one working since I noticed so will update when I get it sorted.

Some people seem to be having the issues with 64bit mode so change it and see if you can see all the parameters?

Just in case... Get info on the Logic app in the applications folder and uncheck 'open in 32 bit mode' to open in 64bit mode.

• Can click on buttons in virus control (as you stated) parameters which get added to the main menu
    in logics auto lane.
    Let me know how you go !!

• Hi Zummoz ,
    thanks a lot for your detailed help ! but i think that Spanda is right ...

i'm trying to do exactly this : "Either all parameters are automatically “enabled” for automation, or you need to enable a parameter manually
    by right-clicking on it in Virus Control and choosing the option to add it from the contextual menu. "

but it doesn't work on the snow , all the knobs on the LFO page don't record automation and right click on them to enable it doesnt' work either .

i'm really an experienced synths and computers guy ... 8) si i think this feature is not working on the snow or at least on my mac pro , i'll try on my macbook pro .

• Hi lore
    No worries, 1st thought it must have been in logic.
    But seems like it must be something in Snow Virus.
    Thought it would be much the same as Virus Ti Desktop thou....
    As stated all works as should with mine, all latest version's.
    Hope you get a fix A.S.A.P
    Might be worth a email to support....Unless they already know about this problem.
    Cheers have a great weekend :D

• Ok so got other Ti back and both working with the new method of add parameters as needed in 32bit mode. (This is great thanks Access!!)

In 64 bit mode they are all there all the time so a bit messy but all working. Think this is what Marc was referring to in that other post I read..

Lore : If its not working as above with your Snow maybe (hopefully:-) its just you OS needing a cleanup? Done a disk Permissions reset with disk utility lately? and a disk check to see if your directory is ok? Always first things I go to when software if behaving strangely.. Disk Warrior is a great app for directory rebuild if disk utility shows issues..

Cheers

spanda

• This is getting really confusing here.

Logic always shows all possible automation targets in the automation drop down within the arrange window. this is true for 32 and 64 bit logic. you do not need to add parameters manually. In Ableton Live you were required to add parameters to automation by right clicking a parameter in Virus Control. That has changed. Now you need to add a parameter to the automation in Live directly and you don't need to do anything in Virus Control. In Cubase you always needed to add parameters manually through the context menu in Virus Control (... right click ...).

We are not aware of a problem, there is no need to repair a disc in order to make automation work.

best, marc