Virus TI and Unbutu

• Hello guys

I just want to know if someone has all ready try to install the Virus TI application on Ubuntu (with wine) or other Linux OS???
    Can you share your experience???

Thank

;)

PS: I hope it's the good forum section to talk about this.

• Hi,

I don't think it's possible to use the Virus Control under Wine. AFAIK, Wine only runs applications, not drivers.
    However, the Virus is recognized as a USB audio interface (so you may use it as your main soundcard) under Linux. The USB MIDI ports are also available.

• Hi,

The USB protocol for a soundcard is standard ; the Virus complies to it (implemented on USB interfaces 1 & 2). All you need to have is a recent Linux kernel. The Virus will automatically be recognized as an audio interface and you will be able to send audio from USB to the Virus output ports, and to record audio from the inputs ports. Please note that I'm not talking here about the synthesizer part.

The USB MIDI part is a little more tricky, because the Virus also complies to the USB MIDI standard (implemented on USB interface 3), except for some small details. These details are now handled by the current Linux kernel version. Plug your Virus to a USB port on a Linux box and you'll have two I/O MIDI ports (Virus TI MIDI and Virus TI Synth).

The synth part is the most tricky. You can't connect your Virus only through USB if you want to record its sound from Linux. The synth-audio part is on USB interface 4 and uses some protocol Linux isn't aware of. Maybe one day it will be implemented, but we shouldn't count on it too much. For the moment, you have to use your soundcard inputs.

I'm using the spdif input of my audiophile 2496, and it works very well.

• it's interesting ,how linux recognize the virus audio interface?
    several months ago i tried to use virus sound card in linux but i couldn't run it!!!

if you don't install a driver on a system, the virus makes itself recognizable as a standard USB audio interface (which unix, windows and mac OS can deal with). all special functions needed for Total Integration do not work in this moment and Virus Control for instance would not be able to communicate with the hardware.

best, marc

• I have almost managed to use Virus TI in VirtualBox 4 (in version 3 I was less successful). Everything works, Virus Control is able to communicate with Virus, MIDI works as well. There is one downside :) no audio comes out of virus, even when virus isn't used as audio interface I can hear nothing from headphone output, meaning it's not like it fails to transfer audio over USB but something else. Comparing to VirtualBox 3 it's a big achievement, hopefully in next versions USB 2.0 devices support will be improved even further.

Nevertheless, I would definitely love to use it with Wine.

• Mmm, this does not look like a USB problem. Are you sure the Virus is receiving the MIDI notes? (=does the little note sign in the Virus LCD shows up?)

Have you tried to set your part output to "analog out"? Then, do you hear something on the headphones?
    I used to launch the Virus Control inside a VMWare running Windows XP, and I had audio coming out of the synth (from the headphones). The synth isn't even aware its plugin is being virtualized, it should behave the same way.

• Great thread. Good to know that the TI is recognized as a USB audio device by Linux. Working fine for me however for some reason when I connect it I have to make sure Local is set to "on" in Virus' config. A couple times when I rebooted the computer Local got reset to off and had to manually set it to on again.

• Great thread. Good to know that the TI is recognized as a USB audio device by Linux. Working fine for me however for some reason when I connect it I have to make sure Local is set to "on" in Virus' config. A couple times when I rebooted the computer Local got reset to off and had to manually set it to on again.

AFAIK, the Virus always sets itself to Local OFF when it connects a USB connection and automatically switches back as soon as USB is off.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Hi, I just brought a Virus TI Desktop and I am a long time Linux user and developer (Gnome Desktop, GStreamer). I am running debian testing and so far midi I/o is working fine, I can send audio to the virus ti over usb. When I capture I get a 6 channel wav, where the first 2 channels are what is playing on the analog audio-inputs (at volume determined by master volume and config - inputs 1/2 - sensitivity & boost). I hear both the audio from usb/input and synth on the headphone out, but I can't capture the synth on the usb side.

I anyone aware of a block diagram of the mixer. Like which parameters affect how the audio is routed. Also as much as I explored the menus on the synth, I slowly believe that the audio routing can only be configured in the total integration software. Or are there menus I haven't discovered where I can tell for to which output to route (In multi mode I can assign parts to out 1-3, but no mention of usb).