Still experiencing pitch shifting, even though changed the PCI slot of my Soundcard.

• Hello,

I am still experiencing the pitch shifting I have been mentioning is present as a possible downfall in all TI models.

The amount of the pitch shifting seems to directly be related with the computers ASIO / MIDI clock balance.

I got it allmost fixed, but still, this is how either a making of new song, or and yesterdays song begins:

Open cubase

- Hassle, to get Virus TI to play sinewave
    - Check if it is in tune

-> beging son making.

Also 50% of my songmaking consists of maintaining the Virus TI, so that I have to continuously check if it is holding its tune and pitch.

I would be very happy to see some progress on behalf of this issue, and would like to ask you Access employees still put alittle effort into figuring out how the user could be assured, that the synthesizer will not at some point of time during songmaking lose its sync.

I am a person who likes to detune all the instruments in my songs, so that the harmony is at its best, and during the "detuning" of for example percussion sections, it is really important to have the bass sounds (that is usually Virus TI) (and others too) to stay in tune..

..I would like to have the possibility to use this synth to its fullest potential..

• Specs:

I'd like to pass some information for the Access coders here.

The problem mentioned earlier, that many customers were able to reproduce was that the Virus TI pitch, is shifting randomly during our songmaking.

This is driving some people nuts, who have good ear for this kind of thing, and have setups that in which, the Virus TI, will produce audible pitch shifting.

I got my problem reduced by a mile by changing the PCI slot of my soundcard.

Why it functions like this, in my music machine I am not sure, since the problem I described in the earlier topic can be reproduced in any computer that the Virus TI is plugged into.

Depending on the hardware setup, the problem can be fixed by pressing reset ASIO driver, that is an option available in Cubase sequencers.

After changing the PCI slot (of my soundcard), I checked both my MIDI sync, and the pitch shifting bug of the Virus TI.

Beucause the MIDI clock timing in all DAW is "taken" by the midi drivers directly from the ASIO clock timing of the machine, both my experiences of Sync issues and pitch shifting, were drastically reduced alongside with the "external machines" MIDI timing problems, which got cured all at the same time.

Having changed the PCI slot of my M-audio Delta1010LT, I could fix the "pitch shifting" by pressing Reset ASIO 3 times - and this is how I can now get my Virus TI to stay in tune. When earlier, it would not go back in tune, when I would press the reset ASIO button.

I am personally convinced, that all these 3 problems are somehow tied intogether. The MIDI sync of the machine got better, and so did the Virus TI timing driftings, and also the Pitch shifting got "less workflow preventing".

This might be because unlike many synths, Virus TI is using 2 different sorts of drivers that are driving its overall sync.

A programmer friend of mine, who is making games for EA also looked at this issue with me, and we came into a similar conclusion -> there might be some type of sync, that the Virus TI is not picking on from the host software, for some reason, and that same sync, is "re-established" when one presses the reset ASIO button inside Cubase. And because (this is what I am guessing) the Virus TI is using both MIDI and VST protocol simultaneously - all these problems are tied in together.

And that the reason that lies somewhere in the MIDI sync and its relation to ASIO performance, might explain why I got 3 things functioning better, by simply moving up the soundcard by 1 PCI slot.

This might be valuable information when fixing this and the sync problems in the Virus TI line, so I am hoping to pass this on so that Dev's can figure out why these 3 things (1.DAW overall MIDI sync output, ie. how precicely are notes sent out, 2. the pitch drifting of the Virus TI and the possibility to cure it by pressing reset ASIO, and 3. the timing drifting of the Virus TI in VST mode) are linked to each other.

Help for the Developers ->

How to check your MIDI stability:

Use TI in Stand Alone mode (this can be also tested with using headphones, and by using the USB midi, since that is also dependent of the ASIO clock):

-Make a "snareroll" of 64th notes, that is 4 bars long.
    -Use init patch, (turn osc balance so that only 1 oscillator is playing)
    -Turn release and sustain down in the sound and use the Decay button so that you can hear just a little "tip" of the sound
    -Loop the 4bar section, and press play.

A steady zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz - without _any_ audible change or hiccups is a sign of a rock solid and steady MIDI sync.

• As far as I know they are working on it. They ( access support) were quite helpful, and were able to reproduce the problem on a Mac Pro. It is buffer size related ( e..g no pitch drift@64, pitch drift@256 ). It seems to be much more variable on Windows, depending of the audio driver, buffer size....
    The drift is around 1/10th of a tone, that's why probably many people don't hear it, especially in a full arrangement, or when using more complex patches ( with detune, effects or chorus for example). I can still work with it, but it's sometimes really uncomfortable.