Modulate volume of OSC 1 and OSC 2 independently

• I would like to make sounds like the 80' synths : these synths uses sounds in layers. Of course it's possible to make sounds in layer in Multi Mode.
    But if the Virus would have the possibility of modulate the volume of OSC 1 and OSC 2 separately, a lot of new sounds could be made : sounds with particular attack sounds. For example, using OSC 1 (in wavetable) with a decay for the sound of attack, and the OSC 2 (a simple classic wav) with sustain for the following of the note.

Is it possible to add, in the modulation section, target "OSC 1 volume" and "OSC 2 volume" in place of "Osc Volume" ?

• You can set an LFO in envelope mode modulate oscillator balance. Make it sweep from -64 (osc1 with the desired attack wave) to +64 (osc2 with the sustain phase wave) and there you go.

• I lack the imagination to understand how it's different (when the balance is at 0 both oscillators are at vol 64; changing the balance rises one and lowers the other, effectively turning OSC X up and OSC Y down as you would if you had them in the mixer section)

• would be nice

independant vol, pan and saturation and glide for both oscillators

• Zitat

changing the balance rises one and lowers the other, effectively turning OSC X up and OSC Y down as you would if you had them in the mixer section

Roby : my request is not about how to do a crossfade between both OSC : of course I know how to make it. I want both OSC attack at the same time, but one disapear (decay on VCA) and the second continue (no decay on VCA). It's a typical technology of synths like D50 and M1, using sounds in layers...
    :S

• And I still don't understand why you don't achieve the same results using osc balance. You set it at center position during the attack phase and using an env. mode lfo you simulate osc x decay without even using the amplifier's envelope

• Zitat

You set it at center position during the attack phase and using an env. mode lfo you simulate osc x decay without even using the amplifier's envelope

A lfo in ENV mode on the decay of only one Osc is possible ? Ok I will try it...

• As it happens, I had been looking for a solution to this problem recently, and I've found one - there will be a few examples in my soon-to-be-released soundset :)

It requires that at least one oscillator be in either Pulse (classic) or Wave PWM mode.

You can then exploit the fact that 100% pulse width results in silence to create an "attack" oscillator, by setting PW to 100% and then using either the Filter Envelope or an LFO in Env Mode to modulate that oscillator's PW by a negative amount 8)

• That's another option I used on some patches but as you stated, it forces you to use the pulse on one osc. Looking forward to listen to that new soundset of yours...hoping it doesn't come out with a new model :P

• Ah ok...
    Now, another solution would be to use the Osc Balance, because it seems that the crossfade is not linear but in curve : I experienced it by reduce the OSC 2 to silence (with your method !) and regarding a VU-meter : the sound of OSC 1 goes from 0 to 80% (OSC balance from +100% to 0) and from 80% to 100% when balance goes from 0 to -100%.
    Thus, by moving the OSC from 0 to +100%, OSC 1 disapears with a linear decay and OSC remains, with a little more presence. Now I must search how to move OSC Balance half way and not full way...

• set osc 2 pw on square wave to full (basically mute the osc as ben said)
    then use osc 3 volume and osc balance......bingo