Help! my Virus Ti just died! :(

• Just realized it this morning when the LCD started blinking for no reason. I tried unplugging/replugging it, nothing happens. No standby, no LED blinking on transpose, only a faint blinking of the LCD with nothing on it. When i press exit the LCD and BPM LED starts blinking like crazy, but nothing else.
    I've uploaded a short video showing what happens:

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

Please help! I've got 95% of my projects tied to the Ti, and some deadlines coming soon, and can't afford to buy a new one! ;(
    I tried holding exit while plugging in. Also tried holding edit+arp. Nothing...

What else can I try? Any idea what the problem is?
    Thanks in advance

DAW: Cubase 7.5 (x86/x64)
    CPU: Intel i7 930 @ 4.0GHz
    MB: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
    RAM: 3x 2GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
    GPU: MSI GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II 1GB DDR5
    HDD: Intel 320 120GB SSD, 2x Seagate 320GB (raid0)
    Sound: E-mu 1212M
    Monitoring: Dynaudio BM6A Mk2 + BM9S Sub
    DSP: UAD-2 Duo
    USB: Virus Ti, BCF2000, Novation Remote SL...

• Looks pretty bad! Seems like a serious hardware problem to me, I don't wanna take away all your hope but i would contact Access for this cause i don't think it's gonna be solved by holding the arp button or anything like that...

• Looks pretty bad! Seems like a serious hardware problem to me, I don't wanna take away all your hope but i would contact Access for this cause i don't think it's gonna be solved by holding the arp button or anything like that...

Thanks for the reply. And I really hope you're wrong... this happened for no reason whatsoever this morning. Didn't even unplug it, and it worked fine yesterday. I bought it brand new and never had any problems with the unit until now. Never even moved it from my desk. No update probs, no faulty LED's, nothing... Even bought that power socket adapter with a voltage surge protection just for my PC and the Ti to make sure nothing ever happens to them (although I've never had any power problems where I live).
    I can't believe it would just die from normal use?

Still hope there might be a solution. Maybe Marc has an idea?

• Thanks for the reply. And I really hope you're wrong... this happened for no reason whatsoever this morning. Didn't even unplug it, and it worked fine yesterday. I bought it brand new and never had any problems with the unit until now. Never even moved it from my desk. No update probs, no faulty LED's, nothing... Even bought that power socket adapter with a voltage surge protection just for my PC and the Ti to make sure nothing ever happens to them (although I've never had any power problems where I live).
    I can't believe it would just die from normal use?

it makes it even worse when you take precautions. I don't know how long you actually own the device. You have a 24 month product warranty. If so check: C:\Program Files\Access Music\Virus TI\Documentation\Addenda and look for the warranty.pdf for more information. Unfortunately that's all i can do for you. good luck man!...

• it makes it even worse when you take precautions. I don't know how long you actually own the device. You have a 24 month product warranty. If so check: C:\Program Files\Access Music\Virus TI\Documentation\Addenda and look for the warranty.pdf for more information. Unfortunately that's all i can do for you. good luck man!...

Thanks...
    I still have all the papers and warranty, but unfortunately I bought it September 2007. 3 years ago.
    Died like clockwork. 1st year after warranty. Something I'd expect from a cheap sound card or dvd-rom, not from a 2500$ synth...

Damn it... And to think this is the only hardware synth I've ever wanted and the only one I ever bought in the 10 or so years producing. Knew it inside out before I ever touched one. Actually bough it with the 1st major fee I got from making music. My pride and joy with almost 600 of my home made presets... dead. And from what? Comfort? :(
    Not to mention being unable to open any track I've worked on in the last 3 years (around 120 projects).

But still hopeful... contacted support, so maybe they know something we don't.

• It works! :):thumbup:

...for no reason whatsoever. I have no idea how/why it started working again, but I'm just grateful it does. After trying to get it into bios update mode multiple times yesterday (holding exit while plugging in would not get it into bios update mode) and failing to do so every time (Virus control center could not find it), I gave up. Nothing worked and the Ti showed no signs of life. However, I left it plugged in and then by some miracle after about 3-4 hours it just turned itself on and started up, like nothing ever happened. I couldn't believe my eyes. Actually though I was dreaming there for a second. :D
    I'm glad it works now, but TBH I'm still uneasy as to what happened and could it happen again. It's not like it wouldn't start up once, it was clinically dead for a whole day and countless power on/off cycles. I'm kind of afraid to unplug it now, but it works so I'll look on the positive side :)

Thanks for the help and support everyone, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed I won't have to resurrect this topic in the future.

• .... and it started again. :(
    This time the symptoms are different, but the results are the same: My Virus Ti is useless.
    It all started (again) 2 days ago when I did what I do every day: turn it on from standby mode. It started with the welcome screen as always, but then, half way through starting up, the screen started to jitter (backlight blink very fast, like an old monitor with a low refresh rate) and it turned off. Then it automatically started to turn itself on again, showing the welcome screen and again, turned itself off. And now I have it stuck in this infinite loop. Crashing on startup and rebooting.
    I tried leaving it on like this, hoping it would eventually come back to life. Nothing. I also tried unplugging and going into update mode and hardware check, both of which work but only for a few seconds, as it reboots all the time, reseting the virus mode in which it's in. Tried leaving it off for a whole day, and that actually made a difference, as the next day I manages to turn it on and switch to bios update mode! I then proceeded to run bios update from virus CC, only to have it reboot again, mid update, and it is now not only rebooting all the time, but it also shows the "update failed - please re-run installer" :(

What is up with this virus of mine?? It's practically brand new, never left the studio, not a scratch on it, and it's dying on me. I can't afford a new one right now, and I've got the last 3 years of projects tied to it. :(
    So any help and/or tips on how to re-animate it back to life is very much appreciated.

EDIT: I managed to get it working in bios update mode long enough to finish the bios update to the latest beta version, but it didn't help. Now it's just stuck on the welcome screen, rebooting every time after the little animated blocks stop and the Ti should finish loading..

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von LfmC ()

• And... again I got it working! :)
    It seemed odd it would keep rebooting right when it was supposed to go from boot up to full power, but would work in update and hardware test mode, so I switched it into hardware test mode and tested out all the led's separately. They all worked fine, but when I tried testing them all at the same time, the Ti would reboot again. That, combined with the weak LCD backlight, got me thinking about a power problem, so I tried a new universal power adapter and... it WORKS! AGAIN! :)

My Ti really does have 9 lives. :D

• how did you get hardware test?

hold exit + tap buttons while connecting the power.

• Same problems here.

3 days ago i went to the studio, Virus TI was stuck on the "welcome" process (welcome > jittering > welcome > jittering > welcome > ect....)
    I tried reset it, holding arp edit button while plugging the ac adaptor in, nothing changed.
    I tried reinstalling the Virus OS from the virus control center, no changes.
    So i changed the moterboard battery with a new one, since the "welcome screen stuck" problem could be given by a dead battery.... no changes.
    So i tried downloading the latest beta release, installed it and then update the virus os... first update failed, second update was ok.
    At the moment, after the last update, Virus won't boot up at all (no welcome screen), sometimes the display randomly flashes, sometimes the white leds do the same, but it has died.

Just wrote to access support, any idea in the meanwhile?

Steve.

• Sounds very similar to what I've been experiencing with my Ti. My latest problem was fixed by replacing the Ti power cable with a universal one @ 12V. You could try that, but be careful. The wrong power levels could fry it. Besides that, my 1st problem was solved by leaving the Ti unplugged for a whole day, then plugging it in. It also showed no signs of life, hence the reason I forgot I plugged it in in the 1st place.After a few hours it just came back to life on it's own. Other than that, there is really little you can do, unless you know your way around electronic circuits.

• Steve, This sounds exactly what happened to my TI mk1 desktop last year. The screen would start - jitter then bomb out. Tried the firmware updates etc etc but nothing. I was seriously bricking myself thinking that the TI was dead or dieing.

Then I noticed something... There was a high pitch wine from the PSU block. So I brought a replacement PSU from DV247.COM and first time I plugged the TI to the new PSU, the TI was back to normal again.

Cheers,
    Simon

• When reading this my firsth thought was as well - check the power supply...
    The power supplies are often a weak component. I've ecperienced this multiple times. While my 10+ year old Netgear Hub still works I have the third power supply with it now. Same with some yeras old LCD screen.
    Probably it helps to make sure power supplies do not run to keep devices in standby mode to increase lifetime.
    Finally many electronic devices - especially digital ones - are very reliable today - but they still do not have an endless lifetime... Most of the time they die early (first 6 months) or late (10+ years)
    Don't remind me of my expensive HW arranger... it died after 3 years and repair cost exceeded second hand prices, so there was no choice but to bite the bullet and dump it... :( Sometimes dealing with electronic devices is a nightmare...