Virus Knocks other VSTIs out of Sync

• Hello,

Today I installed FXpansion's new Geist plugin and noticed some strange behavior when used in conjunction with the Virus. Namely, if I have VC loaded into an Ableton project, it knocks Geist out of sync when I try to record additional parts. In other words, Geist has an internal sequencer, and when I arm the record button in Ableton to access Geist's sequencer, it plays out of sync if the Virus is loaded within the project. I'm not sure if it's always been like this (I never really experimented with plugs that have their own sequencers before), but can confirm the same behavior with Stylus RMX.

This is really frustrating and after 4 (almost 5) consistent years of various sync problems I am at the end of my rope (which sucks because the Virus is my favorite sounding digital synth and I like the layout of VC).

Windows 7 32 bit
    Live 8.2.1
    VC 4.1.0.16
    Not hooked up to a hub blah, blah, blah...

• OK,

So I made a little video to illustrate the issue. Sorry for the quality, but I don't think it gets in the way of seeing the problem. This does not just happen with Geist, but with all plugins responding to sync. I guess I never really noticed before because things like arpeggios in Massive are a bit more sloppy sounding than percussion (with delays and what not).

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

Why, you ask have I continued to deal with sync issues? Well, I have dealt with support before, but have usually found work arounds or benefited from updates etc. For example, my Virus will not record in sync through the usb or analog outs (when using VC). Even though the Virus is seemingly on time, the audio file always begins around a quarter note late. The way I get around this is A. insert a "dummy" (no real signal processing going on) external effect in parallel with the virus (through an instrument rack) which forces Ableton to perform a realtime freeze (which is in sync for some reason). or B. Realtime record with monitoring set to "off," which obviously isn't ideal because you can't hear what's being recorded.

• You know, I'm starting to wonder if my problems are actually coming from Ableton. I was just at the Live forum and another user posted a suspiciously similar issue, although different. This user is having issues syncing Maschine when other latency inducing plugins are loaded into his project. The only difference (besides him not using the Virus) is that the Maschine falls out of sync when the record button is disabled, the exact opposite of my problem ?( This really makes me think that Live has some sort of delay comp issues.

Marc/Access, can you guys reproduce this behavior? It's as simple as loading VC into a Live project and then recording a part with any other VST that is using some type of sync info (arpeggios, LFOs etc.). Next, record enable the synced VSTI (as if to overdub) and if you have a problem like mine, it should fall about a sixteenth note or so out of sync. To get a better grip on what I'm saying, you can watch the youtube link in the post above.

It is worth noting that only the record enabled VST falls out of sync. It's almost like other plugins become like the Virus when the "live" button is switched off during realtime play. In fact, if I keep the live button on, the issue is minimized (as in Geist's metronome nearly syncs with Live's, with an extremely minimal offset - like a 256th note or something). Leaving the live button on is not a workable solution though, because then all my recorded Virus parts are not in sync.

Thanks

• Well, I have confirmed that the problem is actually coming from Live and not the Virus (although this discovery doesn't do me much good). Apparently Live's delay compensation syncs to whatever plugin induces the greatest amount of latency. I was able to reproduce the behavior described above (that I initially attributed to the Virus) with Vintage Warmer/ Ozone.

While I must recant my misdirected claim that the Virus was the cause of the issue, it nonetheless reconfirms my belief that Access should issue a patch editor version of VC. I have a patch editor for my Pulse (by Rekon) that works splendidly and doesn't introduce the sync issues that accompany VC. When I use the Virus through traditional MIDI, things are snappy and great, I just don't like editing that way (I am spoiled by VC).

So one more time with feeling, a version of VC that functions as a simple patch editor (no sync stuff) pretty please...