How do I record filter cutoff automation in Logic?

• you don't have to hit record.
    - hit button"automation",
    - above the normal logic channelstrip there is a button default set to "off".
    - change it to "latch" or "touch". one of them overwrites data. don't remember which one....
    - hit play and tweak.
    and don't forget to set the button from "touch" to "read" after you recorded your automation. otherwise your automation data will be overwritten.

happy tweaking & cheers!
    martin

• Thanks for that explanation but I would also like to know how to draw in the automation for the filter cutoff in Logic.
    I just didn't see "filter cutoff" in the list of automation assignments. Also, I tried to automate a different
    parameter in the 2nd or 3rd patch of the Virus TI plugin while using it as a multi instrument
    but it automated the first patch only. There was NO automation drawn in the first track but yet it was still
    automated. What's up with that?

• I don't know in logic, but in other hosts you have to right click the knob in the UI, select "ADD TO AUTOMATION LIST" and then you can find it under "[#] Filter 1 Cutoff" (where [#] is the part number)

• I'm not in the studio right now but next time I am there I will help you.

If you are using TI you should just be able to open up your automation then select the part & parameter you wish to edit.

• Ok Roderick5, sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you - I'm not sure if you have figured this out by other ways yet.

I reckon that what you should do is look in the automation menu for something labelled (Part No) Filter1 Offset FL or Filter2 Offset FL

This will automate the two large dials in the centre of each filter. I'm assuming thats what you are trying to do :D

• Thanks for that explanation but I would also like to know how to draw in the automation for the filter cutoff in Logic.
    I just didn't see "filter cutoff" in the list of automation assignments. Also, I tried to automate a different
    parameter in the 2nd or 3rd patch of the Virus TI plugin while using it as a multi instrument
    but it automated the first patch only. There was NO automation drawn in the first track but yet it was still
    automated. What's up with that?

What you need to do is to make new multi timbral tracks.

1) Select new track or the + sign and tick the multi timbral. Input the amount of tracks you need.
    2) Use the hagmanma method below and you'll be able to automate your 1st, 2nd or 3rd etc tracks seperately.

If you wanna draw the automation, do as what Ruari mentioned by going into the part no.

Also, the part no will show up as well after you turned the cutoff knob using the latch automation in Logic.

Cheers

Mac Pro 2 x 2.4 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon, 28GB Ram, 4 TB Hard Drive, Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz Dual Core Intel Xeon, 7GB Ram, 2 TB Hard Drive
    Logic Pro X 10.2, OSX Yosemite, Motu Ultralite,
    Access Virus TI Desktop [5.1.3.00]

• Hey man,

I was really confused about some automation issues for the same reason; lots of stuff isn't listed.

So here's what you do:

Open up the mod matrix, assign the filter cutoff to the modwheel then automate that.

If you are using the modwheel for something else you can assign it to the CC things using the same method. Sorry I'm not with my virus...forgot what those are called.

Hope that helps.