A new updated manual

• It's a very simple request, there have been so many awesome updates and additions to the Ti line OS, that Access should really update the manual with all the extra features put in their proper place so that it's easy to find each relevant section. It's simply stupid not to. When I think about buying a piece of gear, I download the manual to see if it's worth it to me. I wonder how many potential Virus buyers downloaded the manual not knowing that there are tons of little update files that show the true value of this synth? There are a handful of features that are not obvious, and require reading the manual - so update the manual already!

Other than that, I would say the next big step is to overhaul the plug-in GUI. It's software, so it can be anything with any layout you want. You should be able to clearly see all signal paths, with flashing lights that indicate signal modulation, and clear indications of what is doing that modulating. If the filter mode is changed - change the layout so that it now visually represents what the filters are doing to the signal, and what type of signal is coming out of those filters afterwards. Software instruments have the most unused potential of any software I've ever seen. There is no reason to stick with emulations of hardware set ups if a new clearly designed set up can do so much more. Having said that, some vintage synths have a clear signal path laid out with their knob assignments, and if it makes sense, then improve on that. Make the layout of the controls related directly to where they fit into the signal path. I know there are lots of people used to how the VST GUI works and they can get the results they want without much fuss. But one of the fun things about the virus is creating random patches! However deciphering how those patches work, is no fun at all - but it doesn't have to be that way, the software should make it obvious what is going on and what each element does to create the whole patch.

The sound of software synths has caught up to the analog hardware (in my mind anyway - I'm prepared for the old fart haters). It's all about the interface now.
    Why do people prefer knobs all over their synths? Control, ease of use, fun to use interface. That's where software needs to go. No more tiny tiny lights.

I'm ranting now.
    I'll stop.
    The company that makes the best plug-in GUI is going to own the future of software instruments.
    But ignore all that - just a new manual please.

S.

• I just downloaded the most recent manual for the Snow, which had newer items from updates in the table of contents, but not actually in the manual. So it looks like it's updated to OS 3.0 because things like the frequency shifter are listed, however those OS 3.0 features listed in the table of contents are not in the body of the manual. That's just bad organization, confusing and stupid.

Once again I say, please give us a proper manual.

• I totally agree, a new manual is WAAAYYYYYY over due & I dont mean lets just add a few addendums to the old one...the old one is so badly written the whole thing needs a complete overhaul, mind you so does the software & I doubt either will happen any time soon.

• I agree as well. A new and updated manual will help us and future TI owners as well.

Cheers

Mac Pro 2 x 2.4 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon, 28GB Ram, 4 TB Hard Drive, Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz Dual Core Intel Xeon, 7GB Ram, 2 TB Hard Drive
    Logic Pro X 10.2, OSX Yosemite, Motu Ultralite,
    Access Virus TI Desktop [5.1.3.00]

• I agree as well. A new and updated manual will help us and future TI owners as well.

Cheers

I downloaded the latest manual today and couldn't belive it sill has the older interface in the illustrations.....I know access team will be busy with other things but for those like myself who are getting to grips with the Ti surely this is a bit confusing! as i read it i'm wondering which bits i can trust

Dose anyone know if an updated manual is on the horizon

• The C manual was waaaaay worse but nothing is as bad as a microQ manual. Interesting sounding VA but terrible manual. Doubt we'll be seeing many updates in the near future as it seems they might be focussing their efforts on the Kemper amp but this is all just speculation of course.

• As a new user of the TI and also fairly new to the Virus A, I would also like to see a much-improved manual. I read the manuals for all my gear, usually before I buy. For the TI, I also watched all of the tutorials here and the boot camp videos on Vimeo. The tutorials and boot camp videos were instrumental in selling me on the TI. This is probably something that Access should know.

A well-written manual should have diagrams and associated text covering the structure of the synth, the function of every I/O port, and the function every section of the front panel. All of the internal parameters should be covered in detail, referenced in an index, and refer back to the method of adjusting the parameter using the front panel and Virus Control.

• Yeah there was a time when I thought the Yamaha manuals for Motif workstation were too badly written... But really the manuals for Virus win hands-down when talking about worse-possible-manual-ever-created :wacko:

At least, the manuals on Yamaha have screenshots, diagrams, etc. But with Virus, you get absolutely nothing! I must say that the guide to program synths is nice, but it really needs to be upgraded with the many many new features that have been added after the Virus C

• Have all you folk checked out the Addenda that come with each successive OS update?

If you're in VC, all you need to do is click the "?" button in the bottom right of the plugin, scroll to 'Documentation' then select 'What's new in OS 4.x'

You can find the same documentation in your file browser too.

On OS X it's in Applications\Access Music\Virus TI\Documents\Addenda

on Windoze I'd guess the same docs would be in your Program Files directory somewhere.

Giddy up!

• Yes, I checked the addendums and I didn't find any diagram or better explanation. Also, I don't think we can consider a simple addendum as a valid complete user guide which complements original (not updated) manuals.

Clearly the addendum is not the solution. If that was the solution, then we would still have the manuals for Virus Classic and a huge bunch of addendums...

Regarding the VC, I don't use it. I only use my Virus TI as a standalone synth so I need good manuals for this kind of usage.

• Whilst not a perfect solution for everyone (those of us who like to keep our DAW PCs and Macs disconnected from the internet for example) maybe a wiki for Virus Ti functionality would work. Every control and function could be described, with examples and tips, and easily updated as new functionality is added. It could effectively be an evolving online manual and resource.

I think it would need the involvement of Access to really make it work and be definitive (and ideally host it). They could even link to it from Virus Control. ;)