Will firmware update erase multi-mode patches?

• I realize now how stupid this was, but I recently purchased a virus ti snow and spent about 20 hours writing patches on the actual unit (not with software) because of an upcoming gig and a serial number issue. Now I have worked out the issue and am going to install Virus Control which I've read automatically prompts for a firmware update. Should I opt to not update the firmware and back up my multi-patches first? I really can't afford for them to be erased, but I also cannot afford to blow the house speakers this weekend if my virus makes the loud squealing sound it has been making with the old software. Thank you!!

• I realize now how stupid this was, but I recently purchased a virus ti snow and spent about 20 hours writing patches on the actual unit (not with software) because of an upcoming gig and a serial number issue. Now I have worked out the issue and am going to install Virus Control which I've read automatically prompts for a firmware update. Should I opt to not update the firmware and back up my multi-patches first? I really can't afford for them to be erased, but I also cannot afford to blow the house speakers this weekend if my virus makes the loud squealing sound it has been making with the old software. Thank you!!

a firmware update does not alter the sound or multi patches, so you're save to update. but since you've spend so much time, i'd do a backup using Virus Control Center.

best, marc

• Thank you Marc! I went ahead and updated, and there was only one part that changed on a single multi setting. I found this odd since it was in the RAM bank.

It's so easy to back up with Virus Control Center!

• and thank you heckmat...just to be safe I used sysex librarian with the multi-dump before I updated and that worked great as well.

bad idea. sysex is everything but save. most sequencers in those days cannot record large amounts of sysex without dropping bytes. you should really use virus control center instead and make a backup.-

best, marc

• is it safe to say doing a midi bank dump via the virus ti hardware into Midi OX is ok?

for my interest...

this is how i've backed up in the past

i havent used the control centre yet..