Happy about your TI troubles....... Ok, not really :-) My TI journey.... Like so many of you... Please read

• Hello All You Tonal Warriors,

I've been a TI user since day 1. I know that doesn't mean much for the lot that jumped on the Virus band wagon in the A series but it's long enough to share some perspective. I think they're slogan should be "Virus TI:" It's the almost functional synth you love to hate".....

I was starting to get down today as My TI is doing a number of strange things mid creative flow, totally derailing an amazing track, but hey, "you" have had that same experience. You are just like me in so many ways. Like me in the fact that you see such great music making potential in these futuristic and certainly forward thinking music making tools, if only.

The thing that always got me about the Virus TI was it's redundancy..... If VC was giving you guff, go straight MIDI (my preferred method). If MIDI wasn't working for yah, jump over to VC. If only..... I say if only because my Virus has sat many times for months without the warmth of my fingers upon it's knobs because for as long as I can remember there have been issues. They only show up long enough to de-rail a session, and then with some down time and maybe some time spent un-0plugged they all but vanish, until you are 75% though a great lick and doing automation when the Arpeggiator star tbehaving poorly and in an instant the creative luster that shown in your eyes is all to quickly gone as you DEAL because the TI is like that super hot chick who is just dumber that a rock. Although stability and reliability aren't it's strong suit, it sure as hell makes up for it in creative and tonal firepower.

So my hat is off to you ladies and gentlemen for being in the same boat as I. In a true love hate relationship. I know some of you will say that reporting and in-depth and strenuous trouble shooting would be a means to an end, but at the end of the day, even some best engineers in the world can only pontificate at the innumerable variables affecting your situation therefore I take solis in the good times, and look away from the bad. I'm usually not this poetic and story like with my ramblings but I just felt it necessary for some strange reason.

I wish you all the blessings that the world can muster!

JB Vries

• "Virus TI:" It's the almost functional synth you love to hate".....

Hi JB,

You're SOOOO right. I can relate to your post because I seem to have had just the same experiences and impressions.

If it wouldn't be such a great synth I'd toss it - because it did such terrible things to me... and I hate it! :)

I really miss my Virus b somehow.

Best regards, Jesper

• My TI behaves just fine, all the time...

I have communicated a bug where the virus will go mental in exceptional circumstances (i.e. very avoidable in normal operations) but aside from that I load VC into projects and set it up without even a hint of trouble... I really don't understand how people get into such trouble...

Maybe we need to set up a masterclass thread to help troubled people set up their system in a way which is as accomodating as possible for the virus... It's not that hard (at least for PC).

Also, if you don't report to bugs to support they may never be fixed (yes I know its a pain in the behind, but how else will they know)...

• .... because the TI is like that super hot chick who is just dumber that a rock. Although stability and reliability aren't it's strong suit, it sure as hell
    JB Vries

Ha!!! 8o That is so true! If I didn't love the sexxxy sound this thing made I'd cheat on it and file for a divorce. It has been like a horrible girlfriend that I can't shake. I'm holding out for the bugs to get fixed but go through periods of wanting to just sell it.

• Well I think it's really bizarre that someone would spend so much money on a lovely synthesizer and be content to complain about it not working whilst not investing any time in actually making it work properly with a little careful research...

• Hi All

Atony - I guess I'm just bewildered. I don't know what I can do as my system is stripped of non-necessary functions and minimalized power management.

If you could lend any advice I would be so grateful to you.

On the FAQ when they say the MIDI timing and ARP stability could be a problem with the OS and that a properly configured DAW is always a first step.

I have been producing and doing computer music for years and I have never seen a checklist or any literature really about a "properly configured DAW". What does that mean? Low DPC times? If so, I'm solid there. I have all of the latest drivers for every chip or bus on the system. That's where I get discouraged because I consider myself an above average technophile and to have continual problems with the TI is just annoying.

I am in the process of contacting support because I can't initialize the VC plugin after a certain unknown point in a project or else it BSODs my shit. If I start out the project with VC open and rolling ill be fine but after a certain number of plugins, or tracks or what have you, if I add the VC pfffttttt.

I do have my TI running "well enough" but it would just be nice to use it without timing issues or other problems.

Cheers all!

JB

• Well I think it's really bizarre that someone would spend so much money on a lovely synthesizer and be content to complain about it not working whilst not investing any time in actually making it work properly with a little careful research...

Please... I beg of you..... teach me..... What research can I do? Are you talking down to micro controller architecture of the USB system on the TI vs the one in my computer? I mean, beyond that I don't know where or what I would begin to look for.

• I concur, if this synth did'nt sound as good as it does it would have been up on ebay years ago. As for 'spending time trying to make it work ?' I have lost count of the hours.VC is the biggest piece of crap software I have ever had the mis-fortune to try & use.

• I concur, if this synth did'nt sound as good as it does it would have been up on ebay years ago. As for 'spending time trying to make it work ?' I have lost count of the hours.VC is the biggest piece of crap software I have ever had the mis-fortune to try & use.

Just as the title implies, I'm happy I'm not the only one, yet feel for you all.

• Just as the title implies, I'm happy I'm not the only one, yet feel for you all.

.... Do u really think that these engineers would somehow release a "simple" software full of those bugs u say here????
    I give u an advice.... Give your self a few hours to explore all possible types of communication between your ( full of crap computer, your wasted TI and your brain)!
    Or.....
    Simply quit the sequencer mode and return to work as you have done with your virus b.
    Go to school boy.
    Keep up!
    :thumbup:

• I think we need a forum section devoted to 'ideal' setups so that people can either submit how they got their virus running smoothly, or read up on how someone with a similar system did so. It's not easy or obvious how to get your virus running smoothly sometimes...

Maybe it would highlight some 'blind spots' maybe, too... or at least help people work out what parts of their formula are redundant and which are crucial...

Maybe a thread should be started in the tips and tricks section...

In fact, I will do just that...

• Well at least you are being positive about the thread unlike mental...but what you are both missing is the difference not only in the set up but the different versions of VC ie VST, AU & RTAS, I can run the VST version in Ableton live on my computer without too many problems, though not perfect by a long way but the RTAS version on the same set up is totally unusable. It is also obvious that you had to pretty much configure your computer to run this thing which kind of contradicts the whole point of buying a hardware synth in the first place. No VI has ever given me this much grief.

• ...It is also obvious that you had to pretty much configure your computer to run this thing ...

Not at all, I just had to (un)tick a couple of boxes, and buy a USB PCI card because I had too many USB devices. The trick is knowing which of the possible small things you need to do.

• Not at all, I just had to (un)tick a couple of boxes, and buy a USB PCI card because I had too many USB devices. The trick is knowing which of the possible small things you need to do.

Well I would'nt say that having to buy another piece of hardware to run this plug-in was exactly a 'plug & play solution' would you? I think you are totally missing the point. I bought a hardware synth thinking it would get rid of a lot of the hassles of VI's...not at all the case here unfortunately.

• I bought the extra card because I had a full USB - not the fault of Access, obviously. If i detach the other USB devices I can get it working fine on my motherboard USB devices (i think, havent tried it for a while having no particular need to).

It was plug and play, though.

• :thumbup:

• Hey chris,

If you are not smart enough to write your own post dont bother, you obviously dont have anything to add to the thread. Just quoting other people makes you a dumb ass. But I digress...
    The VST hosts & the PC platform are the ones that have recieved the most engineering as these are the biggest user base & pretty much the only ones available when the TI/VC first came out. If you cant get it working there, then all is lost, but really no big deal only after you spend a more $$$ & days figuring it out. I use pro tools as my main DAW on a MAC & although RTAS compatibility was announced over 2 years ago it STILL does not work on my machine no matter what I do, but you dont know anything about that right? I'm also guessing you dont know anything about the AU version also?. On the same set up I can run the VST version ( the one you have ) in Ableton Live. So PLEASE stop talking about stuff you know nothing about. If access can't get it to work & I cant get it to work then it just does'nt work...END OF STORY...

End of rant!

P.S.

I Have serious cash for anybody out there that can tell me how to get this thing working in pro tools LE on a MAC!!!

• It's a shame I don't have access to either... that is, if I could stand touching a mac... ew... Pro tools AND MAC... brrr...

Feel free to continue using it, though, don't mind me...

Yes it is a shame, otherwise you might know what you are talking about. Pro tools was a mac only program for a very long time & Logic still is AFAI know.
    I will continue to use it, just not with VC until they can get a professional, stable working version going like the rest of the software in my studio.
    Thanks for your input Mr fruity loops ; )