Virus TI2 Paint (gun metal finish coming off)

• Hello forum. I've been pondering a bit about posting this thread because this is a very minor issue, but ultimately decided to.
    The paint finish is coming off from some parts of my Virus. It's very minor, it looks like it's scratched a bit and I can cope with it, but it's rather annoying when the "dent" is right there in my sight. The paint has come off in the lower border in a place where usually my right hand rests while programming the synth, the angle/bend just above the "wooden" front panel. It's just a few millimeters and again it's minor, but it sucks. It's not scratched with the nails, the paint just came off with normal use, revealing the metal beneath. The longest part is less than 1cm long, and 99% of it is concentrated on that side, between the imaginary lines from Soft Knob 3 and Value+ button - i.e. where I keep my right hand during programming. There's a couple of dots on the left side of the synth, too, but they're even smaller.
    The Virus has never been cleaned with anything else than those dry, soft cloths used to clean eyeglasses' lenses. No moist nor chemicals. It's 15 months old, got it home on 16 November 2009.
    What can I do if I want it repaired? Is it common?

This is a picture of the "damage". I hope it's clear enough - the white parts are the aluminum showing up and reflecting my camera's flash.
    [Blockierte Grafik: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11539383/080220111116.jpg]

• Hi Roby

I'd guess that the paint has just wore down over time, if it's only happened where you rest your hand while programming then I do think thats what it it is.

I don't have any problems like this with my Virus but the leading edge of my mixer looks very tatty, alot worse than your Virus :D

I don't know if there's anything you can do to get it repaired & in my case I don't really want to get my mixer repainted as I quite like the patina of wear & tear that you get on a much used bit of equipment. As long as it's still doing what it's meant to be doing it shouldn't matter…unless you are about to throw the towel in & thinking of getting rid of it 8o

• No of course not :D I asked because it is such a "young" Virus I was wondering if other people ad their own wear so "much" in so little. My uQ is 10-11 years old and its paint (which has a different finish) is only ruined in the ears' corners (some people don't even know how to rack-mount stuff) and slightly worn around the encoders and buttons.
    I'd give my Virus away only if I really needed the money to, let's say, buy another one...

• I have the same problem for a while now. I didn't do anything to my virus on the corners and there is no physical damage except for paint getting off. Its really annoying for such a high end quality product. The paint is coming off also in the back of the virus in the corners that are hard to reach even. Is it maybe possible that the store that I bought it from has racked it or something?

[Blockierte Grafik: http://www.freeimagehosting.net/t/77405.jpg]

• Is it maybe possible that the store that I bought it from has racked it or something?

It's possible, but maybe unlikely that the shop did it. To rackmount the TI2 desktop you need to unscrew & take the back off & flip round the connection points, with more screws along the way, the rack mount kit goes around the side of the main casing.

I can't see the shop going to the bother of doing that & risking marking the machine then switching it back round again when they sell it.

• It's possible, but maybe unlikely that the shop did it. To rackmount the TI2 desktop you need to unscrew & take the back off & flip round the connection points, with more screws along the way, the rack mount kit goes around the side of the main casing.

I can't see the shop going to the bother of doing that & risking marking the machine then switching it back round again when they sell it.

Hmm that seems to much effort indeed. I just try to figure out the paint issue around my synth corners. Anyways I just want my nice TI2 to be perfect, and want to figure out how to get a new case or paint it somehow. The service repair center hasn't reply yet to my response.

But if there would be any other users have the same problem I have (paint defects) I would have a stronger point.

• Mine has done the same, its no big deal in my opinion but it does suck a bit when you want it to look perfect.....just incase you may want to sell it one day to raise funds for a Ti3 ;P