OS4.5 Public Beta discussion

• Ok, so I've been really busy lately & not able to play with the Virus much. Now I'm back to normal so I thought I would get re-acquainted with it.

Every now & then I get a random spewing of noise, like the patch I'm using is getting 100 arpeggiated notes sent through it - this can happen if the sequencer is running or not.

I've only been using it with VC so I'm not sure if it behaves the same in stand alone, I've got a ticket open with support from my last problem so I'm going to mention it there.

• I'm getting the same crackling problems in VC, mostly when using the new "Air Chorus" effect. I get them no matter what Audio Buffer setting I use. They audio pops seem to rotate from left speaker to right speaker and are usually very short (three little pops) and only when audio is playing. I recently ran a fine tooth comb through my system optimizing it, so I know it's not anything but the VC. I've got my Virus TI2 Polar on a single USB bus, without any other devices and I'm using a High Quality USB 2.0 cable with ferrite chokes on each end. Everything was spot on until I started using the "Air Chorus" effect. The only other problem I can find is that the ring that's supposed to light up around the Chorus Amount when it's turned up doesn't.

iMac 2.93ghz i7 Quad, 4 gigs RAM, Logic 9.1.3, Ableton Live Suite 8.2.2, Using the Virus as a 2 channel audio interface

• "FreqShifter Frequency" doesn't work as a destination in the Modulation Matrix any more with certain Mod Sources: for example, it works correctly with any of the LFOs set as a source, it doesn't work (there's no FreqShifter Frequency modulation) when the source is set as Amp Env or Filter Env. It doesn't seem to be working with AnaKeys Fine, either.

Sent this also to support (case number is e54caf18 ) - this is both in standalone and with Virus Control.

• "FreqShifter Frequency" doesn't work as a destination in the Modulation Matrix any more with certain Mod Sources: for example, it works correctly with any of the LFOs set as a source, it doesn't work (there's no FreqShifter Frequency modulation) when the source is set as Amp Env or Filter Env. It doesn't seem to be working with AnaKeys Fine, either.

Sent this also to support (case number is e54caf18 ) - this is both in standalone and with Virus Control.

it cannot work. an envelope is available per voice in contrary to the frequency shifter which is available per part. this is true for other effects etc. as well.

marc

• The Virus Control Browser isn't working for me. The top half seems to be fine, but the bottom half won't change banks, and all the bank controls actually cause the bank in the upper display to change. Can anyone confirm? I'm on a Mac..

• Ok, so I've been really busy lately & not able to play with the Virus much. Now I'm back to normal so I thought I would get re-acquainted with it.

Every now & then I get a random spewing of noise, like the patch I'm using is getting 100 arpeggiated notes sent through it - this can happen if the sequencer is running or not.

I've only been using it with VC so I'm not sure if it behaves the same in stand alone, I've got a ticket open with support from my last problem so I'm going to mention it there.

UPDATE: It looks like we have finally been able to sort out my issues, the culprit - a USB hard drive connected via a USB hub :!:

I have no idea why this was causing a problem for the Virus, according to the computer the port the TI is on is separate to the port the hub is on. ?(

Jorg from support (who is very helpful) says that USB drives can quickly eat up any available USB bandwidth, but in my non computer trained brain seeing as the ports are separate from each other I wouldn't have thought that would cause me a problem.

Anyway, the TI has been running flawlessly for the last couple of days so it must have been & if I have to disconnect the USB drive which is only used for Time Machine when working with the Virus - I can live with that.

• Since OS 4.0 Virus control works so slow when i change the page. Any Idea what the problem is?

If by page, you mean "part", then I've noticed the same thing. For example, when I'm manipulating one of the soft knobs on a part, then switch to another part and try to manipulate that same knob. I would be expecting that knob to change to the parameter associated with that part right away, but I have to wait awhile for the Virus to catch up and load that soft knob parameter (even if all other parameters for the part I just switched to seem to have been loaded). I even reduced the time that parameters stay active on the lcd screen, but that seems to be independent of this issue. Too bad, because I would like to jump back and forth and "glitch" out the sounds of each patch on the fly (directly from the Virus hardware), without having to resort to using some other Midi controller to change parameters in the background (if that would even work anyway; meaning if there are midi cc's independent for each part). Hopefully the 4.5 iteration will speed things up in this area.

• that combo looks fine here. please get in touch with access support.
    best, marc

It was working properly the next time i opened Live, but there was evidence that something had gone wrong in that it lost the bank that had been stored in the bottom half of the browser. I mean the bank was still on my hard drive, but the Virus Control lost what bank had been stored in the browser and reverted to whatever the default is (RAM A?), whereas in the past it always recalled what bank had been there when I reopened my Live set (in this case it had been the 4.5 demo patches).

• If by page, you mean "part", then I've noticed the same thing. For example, when I'm manipulating one of the soft knobs on a part, then switch to another part and try to manipulate that same knob. I would be expecting that knob to change to the parameter associated with that part right away, but I have to wait awhile for the Virus to catch up and load that soft knob parameter (even if all other parameters for the part I just switched to seem to have been loaded). I even reduced the time that parameters stay active on the lcd screen, but that seems to be independent of this issue. Too bad, because I would like to jump back and forth and "glitch" out the sounds of each patch on the fly (directly from the Virus hardware), without having to resort to using some other Midi controller to change parameters in the background (if that would even work anyway; meaning if there are midi cc's independent for each part). Hopefully the 4.5 iteration will speed things up in this area.

No, I mean page(Filter,OSC etc....) but the parts works also slow. Not to slow but it could be faster ;)

• So the 1% constant seems to be causing some problems.
    I'm using latest logic, latest snow leopard on mac pro etc
    I have in the modulation matrix slot 1 lfo 3 bipolar with amount 1 assigned to osc 1 pitch and amount 2 as osc 2 pitch. With no actual added modulation (ie sliders at 0)
    Then in modulation slot 2 I have 1% constant modulating slot 1 amount 1+2 by +6 to get a vibrato effect whilst also doing osc1+2 pwm in the lfo tab on lfo 3.
    It works but after a while the patch becomes out of tune and goes back into tune when i remove the 1% constant modulation amount (the +6)

• If the Save button of one of the active patches is clicked in Virus Control, the list of existing patches shown when a RAM bank is selected does not get updated with any patches that have been added to the bank in the current session.

Virus TI2 Polar | TIOS 4.5.3.00 | Cubase Pro 9.5 | Windows 10 Professional

• I also experience slow/laggy gui behaviour on my system. When i turn off the gui (long live reaper :) ) all is smooth again.
    This happens on my (old) p4 laptop and on my desktop, both use nvidia graphics cards. Maybe something to do with that?

Breaxity - bringing breakbeats and basslines for over 5 years on urgent.fm - tune in - rinse out!

• Hmm, I think the Chorus isn't quite working properly yet. First off, the knob's mix indicator in VC doesn't have the white line that rings the knob as the others do. Also, and maybe this is just me, but I feel like the mix knob isn't actually working properly. In most patches, turning the mix up doesn't really introduce any significant chorusing at all. Can anyone else tell me I'm not crazy here? It just seems broken....

Same happening with me grrr made my virus slower and my arp keeps going out of time. Guna roll back and wait for next update...... i hope its soon.
    :(

• I hope something comes soon. Access is known to not release anything over the summer months due to the crew taking holidays. Could be quite some time before we see anything else once that starts happening. Not that they don't entirely deserve a break, just saying.