psy bass

• I ve been trying to get a nice warm psy bass sound but not much luck yet to my satisfaction. any one got some nice recipes ? What I m looking for is some hot mid range spectrum and not much subs. If i take the env amount high it gets kind of squeaky and clicky. I want something dark and warm at the same time. Something to match up to a saw oscillator on a Korg Mono/Poly sort of spectrum.

• Psytrance baselines are two form: A good sound combined with a good sequence. If you are looking for that really cool drone type, but more mids, the trick is to make a very simple sub like sound with a highpass filter and mix it with a thin saw sound that has a bandpass filter. Both synths always play the same line as to create the illusion that it is in fact one synth. Put a huge reverb on your sub, but make it have an almost instant decay. Make sure that your mid sound has a LFO modulating the bandpass filter and make the rate faster, but with only a little amount. This will make your static sound start to evolve.

I was working out some sounds with the new Hyper Chorus and have been getting some very good results. I have always felt that the best Psy is and very dreamy ethereal sound mixed with a very dark mechanical sound. This tends to make the song more interesting.

• Greetings!

I have a few months with my Access Virus TI desktop and as much as I attempt to do a good bass sound for psytrance do not get it.

I leave this example of the kind of low that I am looking for:

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

I

hope you can help me telling me how should I use oscillators, I should move to the filters, waveform.

Thank you! 8)

• I recently worked out on how get the (0-0-b-b) and (0-b-b-b) psy-trance bass right, similar to the one in the link posted below. Ill give you guys some pointers on the MUST DOs.

Mostly LP filtering used.

Mostly Saw tooth wave.

Single oscillator and lower number of voices (polyphony) helps to get rid of any phasing effect (makes the bass more snappy).

The design key is in the amp n filter envelops. I cannot stress on that enough.

Plus PROPER side chaining is a must for the bass to sit in. You need to learn side chaining properly to have a crisp sound. Remember that your envelop setting for the synth and side-chain settings are relative to each other.

You will have to keep going to and fro to envelops and compressor to get just the right balance.

Adding a bit of high end with eq helps. A small bell curve around 1k region will help it.

Most psytrance kicks are synth based with no weird tails. Side chaining will not be effective if the kick drum has weird bits. Getting a psy-trance sample library or design one yourself if you can be bothered.

Play your pattern up and down a few notes to see if your compressors attack and release is working properly. If playing your original pattern played up or down with does not go with the original pattern that means your compressor is squashing the bass too much.

eg. (0-0-g-g)(0-0-f-f)(0-0-e-e)(0-0-f-f) and (0-0-g-g)x3 (0-0-f-f)

Modulate the filter cutoff with note velocity to get the rolling feel. If making (0-b-b-b) adjust the note length too.

Having saturation on your channel strip (before the side-chaining compressor ofcourse) by another compressor/vintage warmer/saturater helps to beef up the sound.

Plus eq your kick to make room for the bass in the mix and vice versa.

Panning d kick a few cents to the left and bass a few cents to the right helps as well but overdoing it will defeat the purpose.

Hope this helps! I would love to know how you went. You can pm me for feedback or suggestions.

• 210Mhz ...
    m Flattered that you used my tune as an example :)

this bass was made in ES-1 synth .... but u can get fairly similar sound on TI as well ... (if not a better one) :)

anyway its way more simple than it sounds :

u need 1 Saw tooth Osc . the most important thing is the phase retriger - so ull get a study sound each time u press a note .
    for that u need to slightly move the phase init knob at the ocilator page ,

next thing is the filter ... use just 1 (take it all to the left) lowpass .
    cutoff and res all the way down . Env amount all the way up ..
    filter envelope : very short decay (around 25).
    attack sustain and release all the way down .

from here on its only a matter of fine tuning to your liking ... the Cutoff freq , Env Amt , and the filter Decay ...

here is a patch i made recreating that bass ... (i used some saturation/EQ/Analog boost to fatten it up a little bit) .
    its an Ableton Live Clip , containg the preset . hope ull like it :)

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/17115…l%20Bass%20Virus%20TI.alc

cheers , Eli .

• I ve been trying to get a nice warm psy bass sound but not much luck yet to my satisfaction. any one got some nice recipes ? What I m looking for is some hot mid range spectrum and not much subs. If i take the env amount high it gets kind of squeaky and clicky. I want something dark and warm at the same time. Something to match up to a saw oscillator on a Korg Mono/Poly sort of spectrum.