USB 2 Hardware Upgrade

• I notice how quiet Access are on the whole USB 2.0 thing - I just can't help thinking that surely USB 1 devices are hard to come by these days, so they must already be using a device capable of USB 2.0, but simly done run it in high speed mode...

• + 1 for Derrick,

I realy want to pay for an implant upgrade for my TI1 Virus, making it TI1,5 with USB2.0 (0_-)

http://www.myspace.com/monoproductionstm

DAW: Cubase 5

MB: Asus Rampage Extreme
    RAM: 4x 2GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
    CPU: Intel core 2 quad @ 3.0 GHz
    GPU: ATI EAH 4890 1GB
    Sound: t.c. eletronic Konnekt 8
    Monitoring: 2x KRK rp6 g2 + 1x KRK rp10s
    DSP: UAD, t.c. eletronic Powercore 6000 including virus powercore
    USB: Virus Ti Polar
    FW: Korg m3

• ever thought to offer a USB2 Hardware Upgrade?

the virus could be much more powerfull with this

Wow, so all of the current TIs are just usb 1.1? I had no idea. I don't understand this decision, especially considering how long usb 2.0 has been around.

• yeah it's kinda weird, i think it's not even possible to buy any usb1 devices nowadays. It doesn't have to do with extra cost as USB principal is build to be cheap.

USB1.1 is definitely an obstacle for the TI's brute power. Maybe we CAN use all 16 spores if they had implanted the 2.0 standard.

Anyway, i think everybody is willing to pay usb2.0 upgrade for something like 150,- euro's, this will open a new path for the developers (feature updates, etc) and for the high demanding consumers (getting more out of the Virus TI).

• yes, the concept and sound is great but the only weakness is the usb 1 bottle neck

even the small dave smith tetra has usb 2.0 allthough its not even using its full bandwidth i guess

• hm...thats intresting because usb-infos.de says:

USB 1.1. FullSpeed 12 MBit/s

USB 2.0 HighSpeed 480 MBit/s

so..when its allready usb2 why is not using more bandwith?

• Actually, i would just like it if it ran at high speed - just so it didnt eat up all the bandwidth for my other USB devices, just because it isnt running at high speed - IE same bandwidth, just at USB 2...

I'm not sure what the extra speed would be useful for, other than more channels of audio (if the hardware can manage the bandwidth) and better timing and overall speedyness of the VC interface.

Im not sure what this has to do with using all 16 parts, though, since thats a polyphony/midi thing... (spores?!? what the hell?)

• Actually, i would just like it if it ran at high speed - just so it didnt eat up all the bandwidth for my other USB devices, just because it isnt running at high speed - IE same bandwidth, just at USB 2...

I'm not sure what the extra speed would be useful for, other than more channels of audio (if the hardware can manage the bandwidth) and better timing and overall speedyness of the VC interface.

Im not sure what this has to do with using all 16 parts, though, since thats a polyphony/midi thing... (spores?!? what the hell?)

The TI's latency is pretty annoying.. I wonder if ramping the bandwidth all the way up to 480 would help with that. I already have the virus connected to its own dedicated PCI-E usb card.

• I'm not sure what the extra speed would be useful for, other than more channels of audio (if the hardware can manage the bandwidth) and better timing and overall speedyness of the VC interface.

indeed thats 2 very good reasons

more usb outs + vc acting quicker (perhaps?)

• I doubt that USB2.0 would lower the latency since this is rather a question of polling the USB device fast enough than of the bandwith and more usb audio channels would as well cause a higher CPU load.

• i guess most of the users allready have dualcores or even quadcore cpus, so that shouldnt be a problem

and you would have the option to select aditional outputs like allready is with the 3 outs

• USB2 compatible, but it's really an USB1.1 12mb/s hardware i think. It's possible to upgrade via software the port for full use of the usb2.0 spec.?

i think this is really confusing for the most of us. i'm not an engineer so correct me, if it'm wrong:

USB1.1. had a maximum speed of 12mbit/s, USB2 has 480mbit/s. for both protocols there are devices claiming different transfer speed devices from the buss (mice are 1.5mbit/s and so on). the virus TI claims 12mbit/s (which is not the maximum an USB2 system can deliver). but there is also another parameter: devices that work within an USB2 environment. the USB chip used in the TI supports all USB2 requirements, is labelled and sold as an USB2 chip but does not support 480mbit/s.
    to answer you question: no, the chip is not capable of handling higher rates than it already makes use of.

best, marc

• @ AntonyB, i meant parts (spores from Sporen in dutch). couldn'f find the proper name while writting that down. ;)

i want to use 16 parts yes, so maybe the sounds fade away because it only let 12mb/s through while more is needed. Why you think the virus couldn't handle more than 12mb/s with it's current hardware?

@ Marc, yes it has usb2.0 running at 12mb/s....Sorry but usb2.0 is 480mb/s anything slower or equal to 12mb/s is just usb1.1 Who you trying to fool here?

Now i want to know what the TI2 has for usb"2.0" speed, i bet the usb speed from the TI2 goes faster than 12mb/s so that allows it to use 30% more of it's power. :)

Sorry for my complot theory but i just try to think logical.