SOUND DESIGN REQUEST

• I would really love someone make a tutorial video on creating and automating wobble bass n synth patches from scratch (HEY ZENO YOU UP FOR IT:) I usually start with a patch that has the lfo's linked properly and go from there but I really prefer to create my own patches its more fun and helps keep your sound more original. Lately I am ashamed to admit I have even been making a square/sawtooth mix wav file from the virus simply using lfo1then dragging it into simpler in Ableton then automating the sync rate, lfo amount, frequencey, cutoff etc.. from there as its so damn easy. Attach all those parameters to knobs on my apc40 and its so much fun!!!! Unfortunatly I am losing the ability to automate the Virus's fx n such and im also pretty sure my overall sound must be compromised.

Virus TI Keyboard, Ableton Live 8.04 and APC40, Windows XP 32 (vista 64 on my laptop), waves, psp's, magix, sonnox, GT Condenser Mic, EMU 1616m pci soundcard, Event Monitors, Core i7 3.3,6 gigs ram, two velociraptors in a raid 0, two 1tb's in raid 1.

• Hey bud

a fairly simple way to do it, (this is how i usually do wobble basses)

1. choose your wave form and get it sounding how you want it first

2. go to the LFO Section and use LFO 1 as the parameter is already mapped that you need to use

3. then use the OSC1 or OSC2 KNOBS or both together on the right hand side in the LFO 1 Section, this modulates the pitch of the wave form on the specified OSC

4. set the OSC 1 or 2 knob on the LFO 1 Section to "+12" and then turn the LFO Clock SYNC ON and play around with the settings, usually 1/16th is a good one.

5. make sure you turn "re trigger" or "trigger" (cant remember what its called) KNOB all the way up so that the LFO starts again each time you play a new note. (its under the main LFO SPEED KNOB on the LEFT HAND SIDE)

thats pretty much how i get a wobble sound for any of my patches, i tend to only use one OSC for my bass but then turn on the Unison to fatten it up :)

i hope this helps, if not, reply to me and ill make a patch and send you it via email and you can have a look at how ive done it :)

SJR

• And there is no shame in using ableton to edit your patches, its still sound design, if you are achieving a sound that your happy with, stick with it, there is no shame in it what so ever :D

• Good thread...I'd love to hear more ideas on how to program those nasty dubstep-type bass patch sounds. There's obviously more than just the wobble, though. What other techniques are being used to get those dirty sound that have lots of movement in them?

• Hey dude,

I presume you're making dubstep or something similar?

Well, it's impossible to automate a synced LFO with the Virus (this feature has been enabled in the new version of NI Massive though, if I'm not mistaken?) so how I overcome this problem is to just drag the patch that you've made to a new Virus channel, change the LFO rate, and then cut and chop your bass melody (MIDI region) over the corresponding Virus MIDI channels - please tell me if this makes any sense, cos I'm quite bad at putting these things into words! Lol!

If you wanna hear an example of what I've just tried to explain, check out this tune:

Externer Inhalt soundcloud.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.
    (0:31 to 1:53) or this tune:
    Externer Inhalt soundcloud.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.
    (0:02 to 0:31)

:)

• Thanks, Man...this is spot on. I was struggling to figure out how to automate the synced LFO to acheive the movement I was looking for. I was doing it manually, and the results were not what I was going for (it's hard to keep it on time and in the range of 1/8 to 1/32 manually). Running two or three patches with different LFO rates, and then editing them makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the great tip!

Any more Virus dubstep tricks out there?

• Cool man, glad to be of service!

Another cool trick to try out is the LOCK SECTION function.

Consider locking the filter and/or the LFO sections, and then changing the patch to see what other cool wobble sounds the Virus comes up with! :D

• It's not impossible to automate synced LFO clock on the TI. I've done it before.

The real trick to getting good wobbley basses is just automating lowpass filter cutoff with an LFO and play around with the oscillators until you get a sound you like.

• Drifta: ahh, the Lock function! I never use that (mainly 'cause I forget about it). Another good tip...thanks!

Sonis: could you please describe how you were able to automate the synced LFO clock? I haven't seen that option available to me in my automation lanes in either Live 8 or Logic 8.

• I use the VST3 version of the VC plugin so pretty much everything shows up in the automation already but if you're using the 2.4 version you just have to right click the click the clock box to the right of the LFO waveform and pick the top menu option to add it to the automation.

Reading the manual pays off :P

• A simple building block for a dubsteb or wobble bass is similar to how i described it for GROW earlier in this section.

simply, get a sine or a square wave, or mix the 2 together, sync them, turn the phase reset knob all the way up to 127, then take the cuttoff fairly low so its cutting off the higher frequencies.

go to the LFO section and make some settings to the FILTER ONE or TWO Knobs, basically use the relevant Filter Knob for which ever Filter you are wanting to modulate (the filter knob is the amount of modulation applied to the relevant Filter)

turn the LFO speed to Clock and apply the speed settins you want, 1/16th maybe

once this is done, carry on playing with the FILTER ONE/TWO Knobs in the LFO Section and get a setting you are happy with.

in the OSC section, try playing with the UNISON to fatten up the sound.

add some saturation on the filter section or some distortion.

this is just a simple way to get yourself going towards that Dubsteb sound (or one of the ways you can get close at least)

just play around with settings till you are happy, make sure you play with the filter envelope amounts and amp envelope to further the complexity of the sound.

just play and experiment, sorry if the description isnt very clear, im very tired, long night in the studio :P

SJR

• Very well explained SJR and thank you...I have to say I still find it easier to do my automation using simpler and sampler but I am gonna do my next track entirely in the virus and see if I can't get used to it:)

The main issue I have I guess is that towards the ending stages of producing a track it's imperitive (for me at least) to render it and listen to it in the car, on my laptop and in the club to make adjustments...and as we all know you have to bounce the virus parts to audio within your daw before they can be part of the render. During these final stages I always hear little automation tweaks that need to be made (a lot of them at times) and I realize it's not that big a deal to re-render after tweaking but I guess I am a product of our generation I WANT IT NOWWW. Lets see if the sound quality can be heard by keeping the sound and all of its tweaks withing the vc. THANKS SO MUCH btw! I'll let you know how it goes - Peace n Respect - GROW

Virus TI Keyboard, Ableton Live 8.04 and APC40, Windows XP 32 (vista 64 on my laptop), waves, psp's, magix, sonnox, GT Condenser Mic, EMU 1616m pci soundcard, Event Monitors, Core i7 3.3,6 gigs ram, two velociraptors in a raid 0, two 1tb's in raid 1.

• Very well explained SJR and thank you...I have to say I still find it easier to do my automation using simpler and sampler but I am gonna do my next track entirely in the virus and see if I can't get used to it:)

The main issue I have I guess is that towards the ending stages of producing a track it's imperitive (for me at least) to render it and listen to it in the car, on my laptop and in the club to make adjustments...and as we all know you have to bounce the virus parts to audio within your daw before they can be part of the render. During these final stages I always hear little automation tweaks that need to be made (a lot of them at times) and I realize it's not that big a deal to re-render after tweaking but I guess I am a product of our generation I WANT IT NOWWW. Lets see if the sound quality can be heard by keeping the sound and all of its tweaks withing the vc. THANKS SO MUCH btw! I'll let you know how it goes - Peace n Respect - GROW

No Problems buddy, its whatever works best for you dont forget :D

I have the same problems as you, always find something else that needs tweaking, i produce trance under the name SJR and trance tracks are always so busy you can lose track of what needs doing and what doesnt, i always do my mix downs of parts im happy with, so i tweak sections of my midi parts and once im happy with that, save the settings and mix it down so you have the audio part and put it in the relevent place, so for example, if you have 32 bars of a nice lead sound with some great automation, polish that midi section up and then mix that part down, and then focus on the next midi part for the same virus sound further along the track if u get me. just do it in sections, i personally think that diving into the track and gettin your hands dirty and really putting effort into the track creates better results and better creative flow.

anyway, take it easy :D

il be uploading some patch banks soon so keep an eye out :D

SJR - http://www.lostshadows.co.uk

• Hey Drifta,

Cool songs, Any chance of sharing your bass patches for 'Love (Drifta's Dubstep VIP) ' or 'Into The Dark'