Ti2 Latency+Set up Issues

• I have read ideas about this here but I'm not sure how it relates to my setup.

I have the ti2 desktop conected to my 8 Core 3.2 intel G5 10GB RAM.OSX 10.5.8 , Logic 8

I have it connected to one of the USB ports at the front of the machine (the other is free), I'm thinking they might be on another bus to the USB connections at the back ? I'm getting a lot of latency and some dropouts already with 6 parts running. Its not quite Total integration !!?? ANyway I followed the set-up examples from the tutorial video but they made no difference.

Any ideas ? I'm not going back to Midi and Audio outs after all these years ;)

• hi,

do you use the virus ti as your main audio interface?
    what audio buffer size do you use?
    please try 256 samples and set the process buffer range to "small".
    for playing the Virus in realtime and for recording into your host you should use the direct monitoring function
    market with a little "D" on each virus control track. but make sure to deactivate it if you playback your sequneces.

i hope this helps.

cheers,

oliver

• Hi Oilver

No I use the Fireface 800 as my main audio interface so the "D" option doesnt work for me does it ?, but changing the buffer to 256 seems to have helped the latency quite a lot thanks, its not cured it but at least its playable now.

• Have you tried simply using the USB ports at the back and seeing if that helps with latency? Something else you can do to see if a bus is involved is to open System Profiler and look at the USB section. It will show you a tree structure for your USB devices and indicate any hubs in the hierarchy.

• Out of interest I'm getting a much better playback performance from a 512 buffer and medium Buffer range than I was with the suggested levels which gave me dropouts and false starts for arp sounds etc. This is better but another thing I have noticed is a kind of distortion, sounds breaking up almost digitally when I have multiple instruments playing ?

I'm guessing this is a USB issue ? Is there any way around it because I cannot committ these sounds to a recording otherwise.

thanks

Paul

• Hi Marc

I have to find a balance with the Buffer range because I use a lot of the big Orchestral libraries and that kind of buffer will bring my G5 to its knees wont it ?
    As for the tutorial, I kept my fireface 800 as the main soundcard, I did enable the smooth cycle algorythm as requested though. Not sure what to do for the best ?

• OK so thats that from tech support is it ? and reading elsewhere it seems that its a common problem. I'm trying to use it for pro jobs and its rubbish, taking up preciouse schedule time messing about trying to get something to work that obviously doesn't unless you're going to do a 6 part song like the demo track with bugger all going on in it.

Great ! You can have this Virus back and I'll spend £1500 on something that works. :cursing:

• I have to find a balance with the Buffer range because I use a lot of the big Orchestral libraries and that kind of buffer will bring my G5 to its knees wont it ?
    As for the tutorial, I kept my fireface 800 as the main soundcard, I did enable the smooth cycle algorythm as requested though. Not sure what to do for the best ?

paul, that might be me being completely blond after a long day but what is an "8 core intel g5" - do you have an intel 8 core mac or a g5?

Zitat

OK so thats that from tech support is it ? and reading elsewhere it seems that its a common problem. I'm trying to use it for pro jobs and its rubbish, taking up preciouse schedule time messing about trying to get something to work that obviously doesn't unless you're going to do a 6 part song like the demo track with bugger all going on in it.

please contact support, if you want tech support and a guaranteed response in a short period of time. i can only post here when i _have_ time and i'm not working in support, i'm just trying to help you. :)

please also keep in mind that this thread is about latency. if you run a 512 sample buffer size you shouldn't be surprised that there _is_ latency.

best, marc

• Hi Marc

Ok firstly ..apologies for my rant, I thought this was kind of a support area too. I have emailed support and am waiting for a reply however.

I dont know what you mean though ..its an 8 Core intel mac ....is G5 not what they are called anymore ? I dont know...maybe only PPC are called G5s now ?

As I have already said though, I've tried all options, I'm currently on 256 sample buffer and sometimes from Logic the latency is a whole quaver. Its far from accurate and I'm having to compensate dramatically within Logic to lock it with the rest of the track.

I also tried 64 sample buffer and to be honest I'm not really seeing a lot of difference. There is a slight improvement with the beta OS thats just out, I'm getting less gliches and squeaks, but I'm on a different track now. Previously loud digital squeaks/squarks/gliches would occur (especially when bouncing a track) and they would throw off the Arp tracks completely.

I'm happy to send you projects, and if I have time, MP3s of when it goes wrong. Please let me know where to send them so we can get it fixed asap. Problem is though ...unless you have my libraries and computer, how will sending you a project enlighten you to what the problem is ?

best wishes

Paul

• I'm happy to send you projects, and if I have time, MP3s of when it goes wrong. Please let me know where to send them so we can get it fixed asap. Problem is though ...unless you have my libraries and computer, how will sending you a project enlighten you to what the problem is ?

please send everything into support. we will check the project and see if we can replicate your findings. if we can, we can work on it, if we can't and the project works fine for us, we need to see what does make the difference.

best, marc