BSOD caused by faulty USB-driver on Windows 7 64-bits with Virus TI2?

• Hi there,

I got myself an Virus TI2 Desktop and found myself with some BSOD-errors ("PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA" STOP: 0×00000050) when loading up a project file in Ableton Live 8 with an instance of Virus TI. It actually works adding a Virus TI instance into a project without one, yet it's pretty unstable. I loaded up the crash dump file in WinDbg and got the following response:

I've tried to remove all other USB-equipment (MIDI-controller and D-Link Wireless Network Adaptor) and test it again, but without any success. I've also tried to reinstall the Virus TI Suite (newest stable version; Virus TI Installer 4.1.1.05 for Windows 64-bit).

Computer specs

• Motherboard: Asus P5Q-E
    • PSU: Corsair CMPSU-520HX 520W
    • CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00 GHz
    • RAM: OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 PC6400/800 MHz CL4 (2x2 GB)

Seems like a USB-driver problem? Anyone with similar problems? Any ideas of what to solve the problem? :?:
    I've contacted Access support but haven't got any reply yet.

• I'm running a Novation SL MkII and a RME Fireface 400 soundcard as additional equipment. Tested without these plugged also - without success.

The funny thing is, I'm able to load the Virus TI instance in my sequencer when there aren't any other VST-plugins in the project - but it seems like when I add the Virus TI instance in a project with other stuff the BSOD is a fact.

• I've had this issue also. It took a while for me to figure out that it was the Access Virus, until I decided to get a tool to analyze the crash dump.

The tool also traced the reason back to the virususb.sys driver. It hasn't happened in my previous projects that had an instance of Virus; this is the first one. Once I removed the instance, it stopped crashing while loading the Pro Tools session.

The crash happened 100% of time until then. While it was having that problem, I found a workaround by loading another project that didn't crash, and loading the problematic one right after. For some reason, that avoided the blue screen, but I got tired of that so decided to investigate the root cause.

Has anyone at access reached out to you yet? If anyone can help, I'm willing to provide a minimal project that would cause a crash so people at access can investigate the issue...

• I've found out something new, which is that if I bring the Virus track to the very top (thus loading the instance first before any other VST instances) the crash goes away. This seems to hint at the combination of Virus along with other VST's possibly being problematic. For example, if Virus is loaded after another instance, it causes a blue screen, which is why making Virus load first resolves the issue? Other 3rd party VST's I use are Ivory and Omnisphere.

I'll try investigating more on this later and providing a sample project as requested; now I really want to get some work done because I've spent too much time debugging this issue :P

• In Win7 x64, I've found that if you disable the on-board audio interface part of the virus TI, the bsod's go away. It seems to be a conflict if you are using a 3rd party audio interface, which most of us are, to run ASIO drivers for your DAW. The way to disable it is in your Windows Sound Options or device manager under Sound, video and game controllers, virus TI audio (version number). This will prevent your system crashing during some incidents. This of-course works only if your not using the on-board virus ti audio interface. Hope this helps!!! 8)

-Gene

• Interesting. I'll have to try that Gene. I've had a couple BSOD's which appeared to be triggered by Virus USB but my big issue is crashes when closing Ableton or opening a different track after working on a loaded project. I'm win 7 x64 as well running 4.1.1.05. I'm hoping & figuring that'll be improved when the release version of 4.5 finally comes out. I'll see if your fix helps any though meanwhile.

• In Win7 x64, I've found that if you disable the on-board audio interface part of the virus TI, the bsod's go away. It seems to be a conflict if you are using a 3rd party audio interface, which most of us are, to run ASIO drivers for your DAW. The way to disable it is in your Windows Sound Options or device manager under Sound, video and game controllers, virus TI audio (version number). This will prevent your system crashing during some incidents. This of-course works only if your not using the on-board virus ti audio interface. Hope this helps!!! 8)

-Gene

Unfortunately, that didn't work. BSOD appeared again when I exit Cubase 5 and turned Virus to sleep... ;(

• yeah, that sux man, only other thing that i can think of, is it could be a DMA or IRQ conflict, but i don't know exactly how to change those, plus i think they are automatically set.
    try other USB ports perhaps that will help, but i'm not 100% sure.

• I'm experiencing this DRIVER_UNLOADED_WITHOUT_CANCELING_OPERATIONS BSOD for ages now, throughout 3 different systems, 3 Major Cubase versions, and various Virus OS versions, at least for me some kind of DMA or IRQ conflict is very very very very unlikely. At one point it used to happen every god damn single time i've send the Virus to sleep, so that i started making backups of all my current working data every time before switching the Virus off :wacko:. Now with Cubase 6 and the lates 4.5 Virus OS it happens waaaay more infrequently, but it still happens once in a while :(

• I'm getting the exact same thing on my TI Snow
    Ableton 8
    CPU: Intel i7 2600K
    Board: Asus P8P67-M
    Win7 x64 + TI 4.1.1.05

• I tried disabling the virus audio driver as suggested in this thread, but it still crashes (wouldn't the Virus not work at all if this was disabled anyway? kind of defeats the purpose). After I uninstalled the Virus software suite, Pro Tools runs smooth as ever.

I tried creating a minimal project but now it's crashing even if I don't have Virus used in the project. For example, changing a setting in the Playback Device settings (ie. changing latency from 256 -> 512 ms) is enough to make it crash. The scenarios where the bsod occurs is semi-random and based on the reports here, it seems it's system dependent. Again, this problem disappeared after I uninstalled Virus.

For the people at Access, the best I can do is provide a crash dump, which is about ~800 megabytes. Please do let me know if that would help you and I can provide anything else if it helps you debug the issue.