Shift + Value 1 = Category?

• Under the "Value 1" caption of Soft Knob 1 on the Virus TI2, it says "Category" in smaller letters. That suggests that, while the Shift button is held down, the knob functions to select the category. Sure enough, when I do that, the knob enumerates through a list of all the categories. But, as soon as I release the Shift button, the display reverts to showing the main page of the patch that was already selected. Nothing appears to have changed as a result of me trying to select a category. There has to be a trick to the proper usage of this function. I cannot believe that it is merely supposed to show a list of what all the categories are! I cannot find anything about it in the manuals. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Simon

Virus TI2 Polar | TIOS 4.5.3.00 | Cubase Pro 9.5 | Windows 10 Professional

• I'm not in a position to test right now, but I would assume it would act as a filter to the variation of the other controls so that the 3rd soft knob would only jump to presets containing that category.

• That's a reasonable suggestion and one that crossed my mind too. But that is not what happens. While holding down the shift button, as soon as I take my hand off soft knob one and start turning soft knob three to select the program, it is as if I had never touched knob one and there is no filtering of the programs by category. Even if I don't touch any other knobs, the category name vanishes from the display about one second after I stop turning knob 1 if I am still holding the shift button down. Again, the result is as if I had never selected a category.

• That's a reasonable suggestion and one that crossed my mind too. But that is not what happens. While holding down the shift button, as soon as I take my hand off soft knob one and start turning soft knob three to select the program, it is as if I had never touched knob one and there is no filtering of the programs by category. Even if I don't touch any other knobs, the category name vanishes from the display about one second after I stop turning knob 1 if I am still holding the shift button down. Again, the result is as if I had never selected a category.

Well, either your knob value display time is very short, or it is a bug. At my Ti2, the 3rd knob is for changing the patches. Note that the patches' names are displayed in the menu bar above the display ;)
    As to the knob value display time, I forgot where it is, but I guess you will find it in one of the menus ;)
    Good luck!

• Increasing the knob display time does make the category show for several seconds. But it still does not filter the programs by category, even if I start turning knob 3 with shift down while the category is still showing.

I agree, it looks like a bug. But I cannot be sure, as I still do not know for certain what changing the category is supposed to do or in what context it needs to be changed to have an effect. So I shall email support about this and report back to this thread what I find out.

AtonyB, what version of TIOS do you have installed on your Virus?

• I have written to Access Music Support about this. They agree that it is a bug with the latest public beta and have just now reported it to the TIOS developers.

Meanwhile, category filtering still works fine in Virus Control. But I often don't have my virus connected to a computer. So it will be good to get the hardware-based category filtering working.

Simon

• Having been unable to use Virus Control for a few days motivated me to revisit the problem of selecting patches by category via the Virus hardware. It turns out that there is a way of doing it that works. Press the Search button and follow the instructions in the display. In this case soft knob one (WITHOUT the shift button) really does select the category, allowing for patches within the selected category to be scrolled through using the Value buttons.

There's still a bug in the TIOS beta though, not fixed in the latest beta version by the way. The fact that that the word Category is written in small letters below soft know one's Value 1 caption ought to mean that Shif+Soft Knob 1 should allow a category to be selected when in fact it does not do anything useful.