psy squelch on the virus ti...

• Hello,

Please can someone show me how to make a psy squelch sound such as in this track by Synthetic Chaos v Illegal Machines, at 2mins 10secs

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

(I know it's best to learn from experimentation but I'm keen to get fast forward to the tune writing stage and don't have a lot of spare time at the moment.... I have tried tweaking existing presets but can't get this type of sound I hear on many psytrance tracks. Any help you can give would be much appreciated.

Cheers

FM

• Simple. You set the destination of LFO 1 to oscillator pitch. Make the LFO have a fast rate and make it a sawtooth waveform. You must also set the LFO phase to 1 so that it will retrigger everytime that you play a note. Play around with the amount and the rate and I promise you will get some very nice results, at least that is how I make my Psi sounds.

Another thing: It is very helpful when you tweak it's amount or rate.

• MuchasGracias Ionis. I have created some nice squelch tonight using your tips and a video I found. Messing about with the arp to get some good patterns going. I would be interested to listen to your psytrance, do you have any on line?

• I don't have any of my stuff online, but I mostly do Live PA's. My format for making Psy is to to make a bizarre yet interesting patch while in stand alone mode on my Virus. I do this a few times and the I drop the elements into Ableton as a loop. I then write my track as fast as I can RECORDING it from start to finish. I forget about the song for a few days and then I come back to it and see if it is still interesting to me. If it is, I will continue on what I started by mixing and mastering the track. If it is not, I will start my whole process over again. I feel like the Psy that is the best is the stuff that has a good Bass/Synth/Trippy hook that could continue until the breakdown. After I drop the breakdown I like to bring in a movie sample and a new synth sound and all the while slowly changing the other elements. Two bars before the drop I will do a Highpass filter over the entire track with lots of pingpong delay and reverb and then sample that. Drop that sample over the rest of the track on the drop with new sounds and then you have insta-Psy Nirvana!

What is your format?

• Yeah, I think I know what you mean, though I'm along way off being able to do anything like that yet. My approach is to build up a few usable goto sounds, like the squelch based on existing recording that I like. Once I've got these down I'll start to get a bit more creative with it... It's a slow process, but I'm getting there. My format is cubase 5.5 on a Pc, .... I'm sorry to say it hasn't been a winning combination for me. Cubase crashes a lot, the virus has issues loading the midi driver and the PC seems generally unstable! What's yours?

• I use Ableton Live 8 with a Virus TI Keyboard, APC40, Novation Launchpad, Korg MS-2000 and a Presonus Firebox. In my opinion, all you NEED to make good Psy is Ableton, an APC40, a good audio interface and of course a Virus TI. Ever since I went over to Ableton, my music and work have gotten light-years better. The ability to to take looping elements in and out with the push of a button is an Electronic Musician's dream come true. You should consider Ableton with your Virus bro!

• Yeah, I like the look of Ableton and have thought about getting a copy. Many of the controllers like the APC40 you mention look like the business. I'm just limited for time really and am finding I make the fastest progress by concentrating on the synth side of things at the moment without having to learn a new sequencer as well and I've only recently got to grips with Cubase... later down the line though it's looking like a good idea as well as a switch to Mac. Cheers :)

• I hear you on that one. Learning a new DAW can be daunting. Well if you want any more help making sounds, just post it up in the forum. I'm always here to help bro!

Good producing.

• Cheers dude :)

PS in case there are any mods reading this thread my driver issue with the virus mentioned now seems to be sorted having installed the latest driver. Thanks :)