how does Snow to Desktop switch affect existing (logic, live) projects?

• I'll be swapping my TI Snow with a TI2 Desktop pretty soon, and I was wondering how smooth the change is regarding the VST/AU plugins. I noticed that there're two different plugins for the 2 synths so will I lose my setup, or will I be able switch the plugin under the settings and it'll load just fine into the new Desktop version?
    Is there anything I should do before giving away my Snow?

• Unfortunately the change didn't go that smooth: the virus control center utility says that it cannot restore the (Snow) backup to my new Desktop TI2 (something about different firmware versions), even though they were both up to date. And I don't have the sysex dumps, just this single backup file.

• Unfortunately the change didn't go that smooth: the virus control center utility says that it cannot restore the (Snow) backup to my new Desktop TI2 (something about different firmware versions), even though they were both up to date. And I don't have the sysex dumps, just this single backup file.

the backup file is independent of the OS version installed. are you sure this is not VCC stating that the drivers/firmware/etc. do not match?

marc

• Yeah I actually _was_ saying that the VCC stated it. It's not in front of me now, but the message was something like "the backup was created with/for an older version of something" (yeah I'll have to check it again for a precise quote :). Even though it's the same VCC utilty.

• Yeah I actually _was_ saying that the VCC stated it. It's not in front of me now, but the message was something like "the backup was created with/for an older version of something" (yeah I'll have to check it again for a precise quote :). Even though it's the same VCC utilty.

VCC differentiates in between the snow and the rest of the series because the snow has a very different multi mode among other details which are not compatible in the sense of a backup just being played back. probably you saw that message, sorry - my first answer wasn't very clear. the easiest way to get the snow patches to the desktop is to use Virus Control and transfer the single banks. Make copies of the internal RAM banks and also the ROM banks in case you've changed them. Then, transfer those copies to the desktop.

marc

• Yeah, I thought so, but can I aquire the single banks (or patches) from virus backup? Because I don't have my Snow to sysex dump them.

• yeah that's what I guessed..

also, reusing projects with virus au/vst plugins seems a bit complicated, since I had to save the plugin settings in logic, switch to the desktop plugin, and then load the plugin settings file into the desktop version. and I'm not sure all the settings are the same as they were, could it be that reloading the settings only reloaded the preset, but not my custom configuration for a specific patch? I haven't done extensive testing yet but there was something different in one of the projects I switched