Global Output Routing

• It would be useful if global default outputs could be set in the configuration parameters. I'm not sure how this would work for "multi" patches. But the output for all "single" patches could be globally routed to Output 2 or Output 3 instead of Output 1. There would also be provision for mono output, where the left and right channels would be mixed together to a single output port such as Output 1 L.

In the absence of this global output routing facility, the outputs have to be changed separately for each single patch and for each part of a multi patch. This clearly is not practical if the requirement is to have the same outputs for all patches while being able to change what the outputs should be.

As an example of how this could be useful, let me describe how my Virus is amplified in my home studio. When I'm working by myself, I like to use a pair of active near-field studio monitors. I connect the Virus to the monitors (via a passive line-level selector that allows a choice of stereo inputs to the monitors) using a pair of balanced cables. When I'm playing with other musicians in the home studio, I usually play the Virus through a mono keyboard amp that has the usual unbalanced instrument input. I connect the Virus to the keyboard amp via an unbalanced passive mono merge adaptor I had made for me and an unbalanced instrument cable.

Currently, every time I want to switch from the stereo monitors to the keyboard amp, I have to unplug the two balanced cables from the Virus's Output 1 L and Output 1 R and plug the two input jacks of the mono merge adaptor into the same two output sockets.

If the Virus provided global output routing, I would be able to have the two balanced cables permanently plugged into Output 1 L and Output 1 R and the unbalanced instrument cable permanently plugged into Output 2 L, dispensing with the need for the mono merge adaptor. When I want to play through the monitors, I would select Output 1 L and Output 1 R as the global stereo outputs. When I want to play through the keyboard amp, I would select Output 2 L as the global mono output.

Virus TI2 Polar | TIOS 4.5.3.00 | Cubase Pro 9.5 | Windows 10 Professional

• Another option would be allow the Virus to be configured to output its audio to all its pairs of output ports (and S/PDIF) at once. I would then not have to make a selection on the Virus, just turn on whichever amp I want to use. I can see that there might be disadvantages in allowing that to be done though.

Simon

• Thanks for the suggestion. I could see that it does look promising. So, with one amp plugged into Output 1 and the other plugged into Output 2, I've just tried changing Surround Output (on the Patch Utility page of Virus control) from the default of Out1 L+R to Out2 L+R. Unfortunately it does not help. In either case, the sound comes out of the amp that's plugged into Output 1.

I'm intrigued to know what Surround Output is for and how it works. I can't find anything in the documentation about it and can only see a few scant references to it on the forum.

Simon

• It was my understanding that you had an option to crossfade to an axilliary output for each part (is it each part?) - I will have to play around with it myself to see as I have never really used it, hence the vague suggestion