16 MIDI Inputs for Virus Snow (NO additional voices or parts requested)

• You want more parts? Try this. In Singlemode let the arp play(via audition). Now select an another patch. As you can hear the first patch is playing again. Do the same thing with the second patch and so on. I loaded 5 Patches with this ,,bug´´'?. No waranty for this method.

... and then sooner or later it's crashing. we know that. you cannot use above for anything musical unless you really like single notes ;)
    marc

• When you said that you didn't have bandwidth, I assumed you meant USB bandwidth.

Did you mean internally in the snow?

Would an option of choosing which MIDI channel was assigned to each of the 4 parts in the snow be something Access would consider developing?

• well to say that bandwidth is a problem is not so clear to me, I have a blofeld which I use most of the time in my production and live set and it offers 16 parts in my DAW with no lost of quality, mind you the blofeld has much more less polyphony, never encounter any loss in quality. Do not misunderstood me I love the virus ti it's an amazing synth, but I just don't get it why the blofeld could have 16 part and the virus doesn't, I believe that with this much polyphony power under the hood, enabling 8 parts would be a big improvement, also a bang for the buck if it only had 8 part instead of 16. I believe people would buy this unit if they cannot afford the destop Ti version. I for o e would love to see this enable. Also you mention that it is ableton that shows those 16 part. I have to say that your wrong this only happens with the AU plugin, with the VST plug in it only shows 4. if you want I will post a link video to this post so you could see what I am talking about. :D

• ?( ?( ?( ?(

My friend, for the price of a new snow, you can buy a second hand virus ti, and all your problems will go out, more polyphoni, more knobs, 16 midi channels...oh, wait!! no keys 8| ?? no pitch and mod wheel 8| 8| ?I want at least 20 keys in the desktop, a pitch and a mod wheel, but I don't want to buy a polar, because I don't need so much keys, and it's moooore expensive!!! :D

• ?( ?( ?( ?(

My friend, for the price of a new snow, you can buy a second hand virus ti, and all your problems will go out, more polyphony, more knobs, 16 midi channels...oh, wait!! no keys 8| ?? no pitch and mod wheel 8| 8| ?I want at least 20 keys in the desktop, a pitch and a mod wheel, but I don't want to buy a polar, because I don't need so much keys, and it's moooore expensive!!! :D

why would i want to buy a second hand virus not knowing what the other person put the virus through, if he has gone and done a live act in open grounds where people have been stomping their feet all night lifting a cloud of dust, and getting the equipment all dusty. How much care has he put into the synth itself, lots of people are not careful with their musical instruments. Smoking cigarette etc etc, I like to buy the product new fresh or maybe a B Stock to the most part because your buying an equipment with full guarantee that its not going to fail on you.

Look I love my virus Ti Snow and I like compact powerful synth like the virus ti snow and the blofeld, as a matter of fact today I just purchase a waldof Blofeld desktop, Both would be a sonic combo that would blow anyones imagination to musical creativity. Mind you the blofeld has less polyphony, 25 voices, and it could put out 16 part instances, So something here is not making any sense to me; virus Ti Snow has way more polyphony, but yet you are hinder to 4 instances, But like I said now that I have the blofeld I could live with the virus ti having 4 instance. I am going to have some major fun with the blofeld, and at only 369 euros, thats a bargain there are VSTI for that price and you get a crappy vsti synth but meanwhile you pay 369 euros for a virtual analog synth that has a unique sound engine.

Hope Access could reconsider their option about opening up more instances for all the DAW out there because if the big brother has 16 why not open 8 or 6 instances for the virus snow. But if they start to keep this type of business, more likely someone would go and buy a blofeld and a doepfer, believe me I have friends who told me I wish I could get a virus but its always out of my league and guess what synth they have gotten a doepfer or a blofeld.

• @Crystal

The used market doesn't generate any profit for Access. And I'm fine with less polyphony, no keys and no knobs. If there was nothing but an LCD screen on a box with a USB out... I'd still be fine with the hardware. I'm talking about a modification in how you interface with the snow. Not extra processing power, hardware or other advancements. Improving an existing tool's effectiveness, not it's capabilities. People seem to keep missing that distinction. It's an important one. And one you should care about as a consumer of any of their products.

watuse

The capabilities and limitations aren't comparable between the two units because their architecture is going to be entirely different. Depending on how the instrument is developed it will have entirely different limitations and problems to work around.

I believe that what Marc is saying is that streaming all those audio channels (very data intensive) discreetly would be impossible for the snow. No surprise there. That's one of the differences you pay for with the Desktop.

But I don't want audio channels... I just want the MIDI channels, which should not be an intense data stream requiring the amount of bandwidth that the TI itself does. But my understanding is general and maybe there are architecture reasons that present a huge problem to work around with the snow.

If it's not a technical limitation and simply a strategy on Access' part... I don't understand the logic behind that. Improving your most accessible range generally means that you get greater market penetration and that in turn, generates more revenue and mind share for the product manufacturer. It seems like a win-win feature to me.

Someone either has the money for a Ti or they don't... Improving how an artist interfaces with the snow may push some people to spend less money, but there will be plenty more buying a snow who wouldn't otherwise to offset the minority that can afford the Desktop.

• the virus in order to function correct it has a different way of handling it's polyphony sometimes putting tow pads would use up the polyphony and what you get is that one would sound just the first hit almost like if there is no release I will post an example of this later on the day.

here is the video
    http://youtu.be/PXv0s7gsPyc

• I use a Virus ti2 desktop at work and I love it. For sound design and music production, it's my favorite tool in the box. I was planning on getting an Access Virus Snow for home myself, but due to the 4 channel MIDI limitation, I am not anymore. I'm very disappointed to see that the representation from Access on this thread implying that the Snow's 4 channel MIDI was designed as to upsell to a version that's over a grand more in cost. Really? For a digital hardware synth, I find it a bit of a shame that Access would do this because we're only asking for Access to broaden the ability to improve the workflow of the synth and the TI control VST, not add more voices or performance enhancements. If I could have 16 MIDI channels, even 8, it would prevent the Snow from being a headache to use.

Because of the Snow's 4 MIDI channels, I've decided I'm most likely going to grab the Moog Slim Phatty instead for the sake of getting something truly analogue. Access just lost me as a customer for the Snow. I'm with Straius on this, what is the point of the Snow for customers if it's only designed to upsell to the desktop? $1200+ is still a lot of money for a synth these days and people want 2011 functionality for their dollar in something as cutting edge as the Virus. 4 channel MIDI = not very 2011 for a digital hardware synth in my opinion. I'd love to see Access follow up on our concerns and improve this aspect of the Snow. I think it'd be a great, bang for the buck synth that Access and its customers could be even more proud of.

• I use a Virus ti2 desktop at work and I love it. For sound design and music production, it's my favorite tool in the box. I was planning on getting an Access Virus Snow for home myself, but due to the 4 channel MIDI limitation, I am not anymore. I'm very disappointed to see that the representation from Access on this thread implying that the Snow's 4 channel MIDI was designed as to upsell to a version that's over a grand more in cost. Really? For a digital hardware synth, I find it a bit of a shame that Access would do this because we're only asking for Access to broaden the ability to improve the workflow of the synth and the TI control VST, not add more voices or performance enhancements. If I could have 16 MIDI channels, even 8, it would prevent the Snow from being a headache to use.

Because of the Snow's 4 MIDI channels, I've decided I'm most likely going to grab the Moog Slim Phatty instead for the sake of getting something truly analogue. Access just lost me as a customer for the Snow. I'm with Straius on this, what is the point of the Snow for customers if it's only designed to upsell to the desktop? $1200+ is still a lot of money for a synth these days and people want 2011 functionality for their dollar in something as cutting edge as the Virus. 4 channel MIDI = not very 2011 for a digital hardware synth in my opinion. I'd love to see Access follow up on our concerns and improve this aspect of the Snow. I think it'd be a great, bang for the buck synth that Access and its customers could be even more proud of.

I could not agree with you 100 percent for real, but if you saw my video the damn virus with all the polyphony power being eat up and only 3 instances is able to play decently by keeping the quality of the sound even though it has to be eating away by the others.

• I could not agree with you 100 percent for real, but if you saw my video the damn virus with all the polyphony power being eat up and only 3 instances is able to play decently by keeping the quality of the sound even though it has to be eating away by the others.

I think you're misunderstanding what this whole thread is about. It's not about voices or polyphony. We're discussing an inherent workflow issue on the Snow. Having access to more than 4 channels of MIDI would prevent users from having to deal with saving out patches, erasing automation, or having to render MIDI to audio frequently. If I have to mute a channel to free up voices so I can continue writing and allowing inspiration to flow, it's a lot easier than having to break from that moment of inspiration and creativity to bounce out audio when I may not be ready, or replace automation on that channel.. Having those sorts of limitations can slow down creative workflow.

Now if there is a workaround or something that I'm unfamiliar with, I'm open to hearing about it. But so far, the only solution I'm seeing is 'buy the ti2 desktop.'

• I think you're misunderstanding what this whole thread is about. It's not about voices or polyphony. We're discussing an inherent workflow issue on the Snow. Having access to more than 4 channels of MIDI would prevent users from having to deal with saving out patches, erasing automation, or having to render MIDI to audio frequently. If I have to mute a channel to free up voices so I can continue writing and allowing inspiration to flow, it's a lot easier than having to break from that moment of inspiration and creativity to bounce out audio when I may not be ready, or replace automation on that channel.. Having those sorts of limitations can slow down creative workflow.

Now if there is a workaround or something that I'm unfamiliar with, I'm open to hearing about it. But so far, the only solution I'm seeing is 'buy the ti2 desktop.'

Your right again I bought the virus ti because I cannot shell out the 1700 plus euros for a desktop Ti but to think that the blofeld is only 369 euros and you get to use 16 part midi thats more than a bargain and a great synth, I will tell you this, if I find myself using more the blofeld by the end of this month I am returning the virus and get my money back. or probably get a venom, by m-Audio

• I think you're misunderstanding what this whole thread is about. It's not about voices or polyphony. We're discussing an inherent workflow issue on the Snow. Having access to more than 4 channels of MIDI would prevent users from having to deal with saving out patches, erasing automation, or having to render MIDI to audio frequently. If I have to mute a channel to free up voices so I can continue writing and allowing inspiration to flow, it's a lot easier than having to break from that moment of inspiration and creativity to bounce out audio when I may not be ready, or replace automation on that channel.. Having those sorts of limitations can slow down creative workflow.

No I do understand what your saying, because I have the virus ti snow and there is one thing that is a bit annoying is that you only have 4 parts, and in this day in age a synth that is this expensive and with so much polyphony, I think atleast 8 parts multi timbral should be access. Just to make production with the synth more able, but access promote this synth as a performance synth not a production synth, but being that it has the same engine as its big brother only with 1 d.s.p. chip, I believe this synth should be more accessible to those, that cannot make it to the Desktop version with all the knobs etc etc. With less parts like 8 atleast, is more than enough what we ask for. plus the desktop version its a big big to lug around with all those knobs to do a live set, plus you do no want to take a synth like this to an open air festival to perform where there is always a dust cloud from people stomping their feet. I bet if access listen to their clients more the product would have much better improvement, something that could become the standard in synth which is already but it could be the industry standard and its a win win for them more people with their product line and it would be the innovation to others to keep up with access technology.

• I agree with you watuse. For sure. I've listened to the blofeld synth and I'm not convinced it's a quality piece of gear yet. Not a Virus competitor. The sound is no where near to Access in terms of quality.

If Access Music adds at least 8 multi timbral parts to the Snow, I'd highly consider it. But I'm going to go with a Slim Phatty for the time being. It may also be limited in its own way, but at least it's 100% analogue and GREAT sounding as well. Access, please listen to your customers. I've gotten both companies I've worked for to supply me with a Virus and I'm a big supporter. This is a very practical thing to ask for and include in your product.

• I do not know why the less midi parts in the virus ti snow when the desktop is 80 to 100 polyphony, the other day I was testing the virus ti using up all it's part, it does run out, the problem is that two of the pad sounds, one would sound gated. So in some cases the synth would not lose it's quality sound and compensate by doing some sound filling. Almost like a compressor type sidechaing effect also.