Logic: Problem recognising Virus and problems syncing to host

• MacBook Pro i7 8 gb of ram, year 2010 - Logic 9 - Snow Leopard

Hello everybody!
    Unfortunately I have got the same problems you have.
    Do you think that there is a possibility to disable the internal hub from the functions such as iSight and Receiver IR?
    Have a nice day

• MacBook Pro i7 8 gb of ram, year 2010 - Logic 9 - Snow Leopard

Hello everybody!
    Unfortunately I have got the same problems you have.
    Do you think that there is a possibility to disable the internal hub from the functions such as iSight and Receiver IR?
    Have a nice day

what is "the same problem" for you? the fact that there are devices on the same hub or actual problems? do you use an USB2 hub in between?
    thanks, marc

• hello drheywood I met problems syncing
    with Live 8 on macbook pro13 "core i5 I change the usb cable
    for a new USB 2 cable shorter than that which is sold with the virus ti this to you it seems to solve the problem
    ps: the cable home of the virus ti works well with the pc perhaps there is more power in the PC's USB

1.80 m length of cable usb (2) :)

hello drheywood j'ai rencontré des problémes de syncing
    avec live 8 sur macbook pro13" core i5 j'ai changer le cable usb
    pour un usb 2 neufs cable plus court que celui qui est vendu avec le virus ti cela à semble t'il régler le probléme
    ps: le cable d'origine du virus ti fonctionne bien avec le pc il y a peutétre plus de puissance dans le usb du pc :)

• Hy Mark,

I’m using the latest “public beta version” OS4.5 and I have followed your indications to set up the host logic 9 (64 bit) preferences; the audio card I use is “Motu 828 k2”.
    I use the Virus control in modality 3 out + 1 with statement wich I have found in the forum https://discussions.apple.com/message/11558277#11558277.

I inserted the next coding line terminale
    “Defaults write Assiomatide.access-music.virus_ti.control-bool false”;

• When I set up an high clock value, such as 48 or 96 khz, my audio card Motu 828 mkII begin to make noise and emits distorted sounds, so I’m obliged to work at 41.1 clock frequence.

• My Apple macbook pro 2.66 Ghz intel core i7, memoria 8gb 1067 Mhz DDR3 has got two high speed USB and both share applications through the internal hub.
    If I use the USB plug wich inside share iSight and the Ticever IR, which I have disabilated, after a while the Virus TI2 emits notes out of tune.
    • If I use the other USB plug, which inside share the memory card, keyboard, trackpadand the controller host Usb Bluetooth (disabled), notes are not any more out of tune, but....
    1. Sometimes the synthesizer Virus TI2 plays on its own and I’m obliged to press the “panic” button.
    2. The arpeggiator go out of synch.
    3. Often when I save some projects of Logic with the procedure “Save with name“, the program Logic blocks and I have to force the end of the programme. After that in the waste basket there is a folder named Recovered files which contains the following
    file DeAccessVirusDevMgr .
    4. Sometimes while I am playing the synthesizer, it emits some short sounds out of tune or some glitch.

This is the question ... Do you think that I can solve all these problems using an external hub USB2, and which one could be the best ?
    Best regards

• Hi all

Marc would it be possible to incorporate a USB bandwidth reading with in the VC software to show wether or not we are getting the right amount of bandwidth (which i believe to be 73%) and stick this on the first page seeing how important it is to the whole smooth running of this lovely sounding machine...... :thumbup:

I am shore the work involved in doing this would out way the countless reply's to what seems to be the same common problem!!!!!! Oh and one for the note poly would be nice to......

sorry if this has already been brought up.... 8|

• Hi all

Marc would it be possible to incorporate a USB bandwidth reading with in the VC software to show wether or not we are getting the right amount of bandwidth (which i believe to be 73%) and stick this on the first page seeing how important it is to the whole smooth running of this lovely sounding machine...... :thumbup:

if the driver doesn't get the bandwidth, it will not start and the user will get a warning. if the bandwidth changes during operation, there is not really a way of measuring this. see, i've mentioned this in another thread already. we took time and tested everything using a new mac book pro (with an i7 processor) and it worked great. we need to find out what we're doing differently or what we're missing out.
    best, marc

• if the driver doesn't get the bandwidth, it will not start and the user will get a warning. if the bandwidth changes during operation, there is not really a way of measuring this. see, i've mentioned this in another thread already. we took time and tested everything using a new mac book pro (with an i7 processor) and it worked great. we need to find out what we're doing differently or what we're missing out.
    best, marc

Thanks for reply........This is a shame because what we have at the moment is the virus or driver or both starting up because it or both thinks it has enougth bandwidth..........which i fully understand why you would do it like this...........But when we actually try to do anything it dosn't because something else has decided to use the same bandwidth just as you want to make music!!!!!

If this is what you mean with your kind reply then i to need a dedicated usb full bandwidth solution with only the virus plugged into this.......which i am totally cool with by the way......but am a bit worried now as in i see so many people with these problems and yet Access team don't say ok ok so you have that system then you need this make/model hub or this make/model/chipset usb 2 to pci-e card.

Are we really left to work this out for ourselves because i actually don' t mind spending a few more quid to sort this out if someone would point me in the right direction....hell i might even be so excited with this thing working as described i would go out and buy the Ti2 keyboard version and run them both together.........Hmmmm would this setup need two computers both with their own dedicated usb's.... ?(

• Thanks for reply........This is a shame because what we have at the moment is the virus or driver or both starting up because it or both thinks it has enougth bandwidth..........which i fully understand why you would do it like this...........But when we actually try to do anything it dosn't because something else has decided to use the same bandwidth just as you want to make music!!!!!

when i look at the posts in here, i don't get the impression that we are dealing with a bandwidth limitation which is present when the virus starts (because this way, you would get an error message). on top, i've never seen this on my mac book pro. when you look at the thread's title "Logic: Problem recognising Virus and problems syncing to host" - that indicates to me that the virus cannot be found.

best, marc

• Hi Marc,

I know what you are saying in some parts of your last reply.......but take my last few sessions for instance....i have had the red out of sync please stop and start message a few times and tracks running out of sync here and there.........So to me its clear that my bandwidth most be getting compromised at some point after the virus ti has started do you not think?........I would really like to rule out a usb bottleneck occurring within my system but need a little help in doing so...

But for now i am left wondering that everything is ok as Virus control started up because it has enough bandwidth...........But also realise that it can't be with these sync issues that flag up visually and audibly......

• I was just logging in as I have managed to get the virus more or less working with logic. The only problem seems to when it initially picks up arpeggios. For some reason it plays back out of time, or completely randomly until it hits the end of the repeat loop. It then loops perfectly.

Are there any settings that I'm missing that is stopping it playing correctly from the start of the arp sequence?

This really is the final piece of the puzzle, and would make me a very happy man if I were to find the answer! :thumbup:

• Whoah - I never noticed the amount of replies to this thread up until now!

This really needs to get fixed as the technical issues have effectively limited what I've done musically since spending ££££s on new computer hardware, drum machines and synths to just about nothing (it's just not worth the hassle switching it on!).

• OK..i'm not sure whether its been mentioned here,but have you guys using a multitranslation chipset hup..i still have bad sync problems but my error messages have gone just from having the right buffer sizes...its still very buggy but i am hoping that once i am using this recommended Belkin hub that Virus will become more stable.i have an Macbook pro i7 and apparantly these dont like to share ports..the Belkin hub in question had to be ordered from Germany to here in the Uk so i really hope ity does make a difference..its such a shame if this cant solve the problems but i'm going to remain upbeat and keep you all posted.Thanks to tech support from Access,they've been nothing but helpful.

• Firstly, I have to say Marc and the Access customer service have been superb in terms of response times, clarity, helpfulness and patience.

However, I've taken a 2 month break from my studio as I just couldn't face trying to get it all working as it should when I first got it earlier this year as it was really was doing my head in. So hopefully this time I can persist and work through the issues, with some greatly appreciated help of course.

Set up:

- I have Logic 9.1.3
    - I have the TIOS v 4.5.0.16 release of the VC software
    - I have the latest 2011 version of the MacBook Pro i7 2.2Ghz with 8gb
    - I have Snow Leopard, last version before Lion
    - I have only my Virus TI connected to the front USB port on the MBP
    - There's an Apple cinema display on the other USB port on the MBP

My issues:

- I have Arpeg timing issues, it's out far too much and is such a tease - I want to use it but the timing is poor, and basically unreliable.
    - I sometimes get random notes chucked out when logic stops.
    - Sometimes I get the red out of synch message.
    - Sometimes I try to open VC but it says another instance is already open when it's not. Then sometimes it opens it no problem.

Three questions:

1) Having read Marc's statement about new MBPs earlier in this thread, should I be using a Belkin hub so it translates data properly with my MBP i7 given I only have the TI and a cinema display connected to the 2 USB ports?

2) If I do need a Belkin hub which one?

3) I see there's just been a new OS released. Anything else I should try?

Many thanks

cheers, simon

• But should I be ok without a hub on my set up Marc?

that totally depends on the rest of your USB setup. there is no general rule but a general tendency: modern systems need a hub in between the virus and the USB port of your mac/pc much more than older systems. essentially this all is a result of cost saving tricks which become more and more common. there is not really somebody to blame, it's just a fact of life that things change. but if you look at how much a USB hub costs these days versus the trouble it might save you from ...
    marc