Logic: Problem recognising Virus and problems syncing to host

• I'm afraid I can't tell from your reply Marc if you are recommending I get a hub or not.

Set up is now as below as I upgraded Logic and the TIOS yesterday:

- Logic 9.1.5
    - TIOS v 4.5.2.07 release of the VC software
    - Latest 2011 version of the MacBook Pro i7 2.2Ghz with 8gb
    - Snow Leopard, last version before Lion
    - I have only my Virus TI connected to 1 of the 2 USB ports on the MBP running the IR Reciever
    - There's an Apple cinema display on the other USB port on the MBP

So after loading the new TIOS 4.5.07 it seems more stable. I used it for 90 mins last night without anything major happening. Few odd things like some notes not playing but the 1 arpeggio in the track played as it should. It was a pretty lightweight track however with only 5 tracks but this caused problems previously.

So a cautious thumbs up so far.

cheers

• My setup is as follows:

iMac i7 2,93 (4 core - 8 with hyperthreading), 8 GB RAM running on Mac OS X 10.6.8
    M-Audio FW1814
    Virus Ti Keyboard (connected directly to the iMac)

So far I've NEVER managed to get more than 2 virus channels "totally integrated" (without serious sync issues), and never more than 1 channel for more than 30 minutes. This has always forced me to record 1 Virus track, bounce it, record the next etc etc..

Now I've updated to the latest Virus version. Immediately I noticed recognition issues. After faultsearching for 1 hr I now now that if I want the virus to be recognized I CANT open Virus Control b4 I want to start Logic. If I open it, Mac OSX doesn't find the virus. Anyway, that is now solved.

Now I'm gonna se how many "naked" tracks I can run virus arpeggios on... I'll report back. AND I'm keeping my fingers crossed :)

Thanks for everything,
    //Val

• Well...

l can definitely notice an improvement :) Managed to add 7-8 tracks before I noticed any sync issues & I did try with 128, 256 & 512 buffer size. I also tried chunks of 4bar recordings, looped 4bar chunks & 16bar chunks.
    When I took it a step further and recorded a track with another softsynt (chose a Korg Polysix) I had to remove some of the virustracks - BUT I still had 6 working nicely.
    Then I added 2 tracks with vocals & it still worked. NOTE! I still sometimes (even with the Virus running alone) had to restart the song because it sometimes from the start (2nd bar) did some sync errors, but I can live with that.

So, summarizing. This update appears to have made a change (it might also be from a previous update, because I DID leave my Virus a bit unused due to all the problems (hopefully now) in the past...

I must point out that I've been nice to the Virus in this test. All channel outputs from the same USB1, no effects added in logic.. But still, it syncs MUCH better. And I'm happy for that..

That was my 5 Swedish kronor in this thread. Dunno if it helped anyone, but I managed to let go of a little steam :)

Cheers,
    //Val

• This is heading in the right direction for sure after update i to noticed better performance all round but still get the odd Glitch.......but definitely better... I held off the previous update with to many negative comments with unison mode not functioning how it should but after installing this 4.5.3 update everything does seem a bit tighter with at least six trax of Ti with effects and logic effects + softsynths all going on....nice

• When I took it a step further and recorded a track with another softsynt (chose a Korg Polysix) I had to remove some of the virustracks - BUT I still had 6 working nicely.

could you please send an example project to access support att. marc? i would like to check if above happens on our setup too, frankly i cannot see why the polysix should have an influence on the virus' track/voice count.
    thanks, marc

• could you please send an example project to access support att. marc? i would like to check if above happens on our setup too, frankly i cannot see why the polysix should have an influence on the virus' track/voice count.
    thanks, marc

Hi Marc!
    I'm afraid I just deleted the whole shabang after testing. Won't be able to do it again soon as I'm in a studio the whole week (paying by the hr) :( Maybe I could do something next week. But as I said, for me it's a GREAT improvement as it is now (compared to b4) :)

Thx for everything,
    //Val

• Arp sync issues returned once again. I'm waiting on a hub, i have bought very short usb cables, and will test and then contact support once again if it doesn't help.

Frustrated as it seemed fine for a time but unstable again.

Cheers, Simon

• Just to Resurrect this post....

Im also having the same issues with the Virus Ti.

I have the late 2009 iMac and the Virus Ti2.
    I have been having some problems with chosing the right usb port for ghe Virus.
    My system is as follows;

iMac 27" Core i7 2.8ghz 8gb ram
    osx Lion (latest)
    Virus Ti2 61 Note
    Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP
    Cubase 6

There are 2 internal USB hubs

Hub1:
    elicenser
    BRCM2046 Hub -- Bluetooth USB Host Controller
    Internal Memory Card Reader

Hub2:
    Built-In iSight
    IR Receiver
    Virus Ti

Ive noticed that if the Virus states that audio clock is Synced to Host, the virus will work ok (i haven't tested to what extent it works)
    But when I bring the Virus out of sleep mode, the Audio clock has changed to frequency and the Virus will not connect when the project is 48khz.
    For some reason, the only way I can get the Virus to work is to perform a factory reset and the Audio Clock returns to the state of Synced to Host.
    There must be something that disabling this feature or something I'm doing wrong?

Also, iive heard Marc mention a few times that people with iMacs that have the i3/i5/i7 should connect a USB 2.0 hub between the Virus and the Mac.
    I have just ordered the Belkin F5U237QEA Hi-Speed USB 2.0 7-port Hub. Will this make the Virus perform better? and do I have to make sure that only the Virus is connected to this?

regards

Chris

• Hi Chris did the above mentioned Belkin Hub work out for you

• Marc,

Does this not sound like the same issues I am receiving that I created the LOGS for?

It seems theres a lot of problems out there surrounding the Virus and iMacs?

Im still waiting for a solution as I have not yet been able to use my Virus......

Problems with syncing with host and other things...

Chris

EDIT...

Louise.....

Not really, I have just the Virus connected to the Hub and I am still receiving problems. Check out the thread I done called "Virus Started with its Nonsense Again"

• Louis,

Its vicious circles. I bought my virus before xmas and i still havent been able to use it properly. I was lead
    to believe it was totally integrated and the plugin works just as well
    as a vst instrument. still waiting on that day!

Marc, Jorg and Access are aware of the prohlem and i think they are working on a fix!

• He he , here i am :)

got the solution, it works for me, it must work for u (i hope lol)

setup:

imac 27 middle 2011
    core i7 quad 3,4ghz
    8gb ram (ddr3 1333mhz)
    graphics 2 gb cache

Virus TI polar (1st generation)

Hub belkin (F5U404PERBLK) (only for the TI)

(Motu traveler (firewire), motu midi express 128, steinberg cc121 are directly plugged to the usb ports of the imac, elicenser and yamaha 01v96v2 are plugged on the usb ports of my keyboard)

5 years i'm fighting with my TI and VC, first on win xp, now on os x 10.6.8....

1st: thx to access support, they said me to try a powered hub, now i haven't warning usb conflict message when i plug my TI to the VCC :)

2nd, i find the solution by myself lol but access support was here to listen to me and find a solution, since 2 weeks, thx for the time they spent for me :)

now let me explain my troubles:

i had artifacts, clicks, pops in usb mode and my TI was not "synced to host" as u guys....

i done a lot of tests and let me explain my solution:

do not shut down/turn on the ti when the usb cable is plugged!!!!!

unplug ur usb cable, turn on ur ti, then plug the usb cable, u will "synced to host" :) , then unplug ur usb cable and shut down the ti
    (in fact it is when u shut down the ti that u have to unplug the usb cable before, u can plug it when the ti is off and turn it on with the usb cable plugged, but i think it is better to plug/unplug the cable when the ti is on)

now, the TI is always synced to host :)

if ur ti is not recognized by ur system anymore, do not a factory reset, simply unplug it from the main current and plug it again :) (i say that because i plugged/unplgged my ti a lot of time lol so it can be possible it crash lol)

let me know if it works for u....

@ access support: please take note of that for maybe update that issue

finally sorry if my english langage, it is not perfect, im french, i do what i can :)

• do not shut down/turn on the ti when the usb cable is plugged!!!!!

unplug ur usb cable, turn on ur ti, then plug the usb cable, u will "synced to host" :) , then unplug ur usb cable and shut down the ti
    (in fact it is when u shut down the ti that u have to unplug the usb cable before, u can plug it when the ti is off and turn it on with the usb cable plugged, but i think it is better to plug/unplug the cable when the ti is on)

now, the TI is always synced to host :)

Do you have to repeat these steps every time you use the Virus?

• yep, every time u want to turn it off

i noticed that usually, if i close a cubase project using VC, i get crashes when i load it again (distortion) sometimes not....

get to reboot my setup (mac + harware) or change the audio clock of the project (44 to 48khz, then 48 to 44khz), or unplug/plug the usb cable during the cubase session....

i'm not in a 100% working setup yet , get some bugs sometimes :(

• Well since i have changed to Win 7 64 environment i began to have some issues with my TI.
    In general works fine but sometimes i get this out of sync problem.
    I have a lot of USB units attached to my MOBO USB ports (Novation SL,MOTU MTP AV x2,Midisport 8x8,4x4,UC-33e,Korg R3,MicroX,Tempest,Kore Controller and Syncrosoft & Ilok2 keys).
    I have a dedicated USB PCI card for the TI,and since i recall some reading about a HUB is now recommended (like stated before too) i wonder if in my case that could help?

Win Ultimate 7 64
    Core 2 Quad Q6600
    Ram 8 GB
    Cubase 6.5.2. 64
    Pro Tools 10.0.2

Thanks