If you are using a PCI USB card for your Virus, which and how is it working for you?

• Thanks for your reply Timo.

The USB3 card is actually part of the motherboard itself, it is not an addon card. It is the Renesas (formerly NEC) µPD720200 chipset soldered onto the mainboard directly. The Renesas/NEC chipsets are actually suppose to be the most recommended for compatibility and stability when compared to other lower/inferior branded chipsets.

I have a USB2-PCI card already, it is mentioned in the very first post of this very thread which I started (If you have the time, please read and let me your know your thoughts). It is based on the VIA chipset which is why you see a VIA Rev 5 or later listing for the USB controllers found in my system. It is a 5 port card, no firewire etc and the ONLY device on it was the Virus Ti. While it was much, much better in terms of noise output (no noise heard like found in the MP3 file I sent you) it still has intermittent clicks, pops and crackles which really irritated me as it was my last resort to get things stable on my system. I have inquired about trying another PCI card but Marc stated it should not matter. There is special card etc needed, all should work the same as long as nothing else is amiss in the system.

I don't mean to undermind your doing here, but I just had a look at the MSINFO file again myself. IRQ 16 does share all you listed above, however, IRQ 16 is shared with the VIA based PCI-USB card mentioned above, not the onboard USB. The two Onboard Intel USB ports are on their own IRQ, 23, shared with NOTHING else. I don't think removing any UAD cards is going to help in that matter with this being the case wouldn't you agree? The Two Intel based USB controllers are where the problem lies with the Ti, it is where the MP3 file came from when the Ti is played when connected to said ports. I have ran DPC Latency checker while experiencing the noise issue and it always remains very low, in the green, so I didn't think any DPC spikes were occuring to cause the noise heard in the MP3 file.

I would appreciate anymore information you could share based on the above additional information. I think this will change things.

Thanks again,

Andrew

EDIT.. I thought I should mention again, as far as I can tell with the Renesas/NEC USB3 ports, noise is not a concern. I have only had limited testing, but as far as I could tell it was quite clean and very little noise (clicks, pops, crackles) could be found if any. The problem with the USB3 chipset is how unreliable it is to actually have VC connect to the Ti during the plugin instantiation. Most times I will get MIDI DEVICE FAILED, or NO VIRUS TI HARDWARE FOUND upon starting up VC. Only through unplugging and plugging the USB cable back in will VC finally start up. Sometimes 2, 3 or more tries are required. It will run then until I turn it off and come back to it later where the whole process starts over. I really don't want to have to keep going behind and unplugging the USB cable when I want to use it. I was hoping an update to the Ti Driver or VC itself would help in getting VC to better connect to the Ti hardware when used on the NEC/Renesas USB3 based chipsets. These USB3 chipsets are extremely popular now and can be found onboard just about every motherboard made in the past 18 or so months. If the connection could be more reliable I could just stick to using the USB3 ports since they share with nothing else either and are on their own separate controller from the Intel USB2 ports found also on the board. I am sure many other users would benefit from the increased compatibility as well.

• Would it be possible to get a version of the VC that will run without the USB audio option? I have long since given up due to these same types of problems, however it would be nice to be able to control the virus with just the VC, sort of like sound diver. It doesn't even need to be a VST/AU plugin, just strictly a controller and librarian.

• I don't think removing any UAD cards is going to help in that matter with this being the case wouldn't you agree? The Two Intel based USB controllers are where the problem lies with the Ti, it is where the MP3 file came from when the Ti is played when connected to said ports.

It looks that your setup is fairly complex. Analyzing the problem from the outside is very difficult. In order to work on that problem, I would reduce the complexity, the first thing would be removing any thing that creates substantial load on the PCI bus.

I have ran DPC Latency checker while experiencing the noise issue and it always remains very low, in the green, so I didn't think any DPC spikes were occuring to cause the noise heard in the MP3 file.

In my opinion, the DPC latency checks do not provide much that would help you in this case. Similar to read out the memory consumption of a DAW on a modern OS it only tells a fraction of the entire story.

EDIT.. I thought I should mention again, as far as I can tell with the Renesas/NEC USB3 ports, noise is not a concern. I have only had limited testing, but as far as I could tell it was quite clean and very little noise (clicks, pops, crackles) could be found if any.

The "connecting" problem seems to be a completely different problem, which could be solved separately. Actually, what you write is leading me to the hint that you might try a different USB2 PCI card, one that does have a different manufacturer (NEC or so).
    I had the Virus in the last years on many many machines and I only had problems with one machine, an old HP XE4500 laptop, which had USB problems all along anyway (unfixable).

-timo

• I bought a Dynamode USB-5PCI3PFW USB PCI card today and I can't even get Win7 to recognise it, so that's a different story!

I've had the 'Error 10' problem with USB devices too... it turned out that my motherboard was just getting overloaded with info from other devices. Although my PC has 12 USB slots, it can't operate them all at once (and this is a £180 motherboard on an i7 SandyBridge CPU!). I unplugged a few devices and bingo, the 'error 10' device worked straight away every time. It appears I can't have a webcam & joystic plugged in at the same time as my Ti Snow and my MIDI keyboard. X(

• I bought a Dynamode USB-5PCI3PFW USB PCI card today and I can't even get Win7 to recognise it, so that's a different story!

I've had the 'Error 10' problem with USB devices too... it turned out that my motherboard was just getting overloaded with info from other devices. Although my PC has 12 USB slots, it can't operate them all at once (and this is a £180 motherboard on an i7 SandyBridge CPU!). I unplugged a few devices and bingo, the 'error 10' device worked straight away every time. It appears I can't have a webcam & joystic plugged in at the same time as my Ti Snow and my MIDI keyboard. X(

It doesnt matter how fancy your motherboard is - if the bandwidth on a single USB device is used up, then you're stuck. That is, unless you get a PCI USB card and share the load, or find out if your motherboard is actually sporting two USB devices such that not all ports go to the same one (though it is very unusual).

The Virus TI runs as a USB 1.x device so it eats up a lot of the bandwidth on your USB, even if it is plugged into a USB 2 port (i.e. if it eats up 50% bandwidth on a USB 1.x card, it will eat up the same amount on a USB 2 card regardless of the fact it has more bandwidth).

My limit relying on one USB device was the virus, one web cam and a mouse - since I had midi keyboards and a USB typing keyboard still to connect I was stuck until I got my PCI card.