request for (hopefully) constructive feedback

• Hey guys,

I've been making psy trance for a couple of years. My Polar has been really moving me along. I'd appreciate some tech feedback on my "finished" stuff

http://www.psyphi.com.au

I'm trying to build everything myself, using my own samples, and sound design. In general I start with presets and work them over a fair bit.

I use Logic, Native Instruments, Albino and the Polar of course

cheers

Dave

• Hi Dave,

I tried to download your songs but the webpage isn't very clear to me.

Best regards,

Stef

http://www.myspace.com/monoproductionstm

DAW: Cubase 5

MB: Asus Rampage Extreme
    RAM: 4x 2GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
    CPU: Intel core 2 quad @ 3.0 GHz
    GPU: ATI EAH 4890 1GB
    Sound: t.c. eletronic Konnekt 8
    Monitoring: 2x KRK rp6 g2 + 1x KRK rp10s
    DSP: UAD, t.c. eletronic Powercore 6000 including virus powercore
    USB: Virus Ti Polar
    FW: Korg m3

• Listened to some of your tracks & the thing that really jumps out at me is that you have really over compressed everything...totally squeezed the shit out of it so that it has no substance. Some good ideas but back off the comp.

• lol had to wait for ages then something popped up to install quicktime. So eventualy i did as i am very curious to listen to everybody's creations.

I only managed to listen to one track and the rest is just could not find, that website needs an update!

The song is not entirely my thing and i can't tell anything about the mix as i listened on my laptop.

Best,

Stef

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Monomeester ()

• Zitat

Listened to some of your tracks & the thing that really jumps out at me is that you have really over compressed everything...totally squeezed the shit out of it so that it has no substance. Some good ideas but back off the comp.

Thanks for the feedback! Compression is always tricky. Psy trance (and trance in general) tends to be heavily compressed. The main reason being that you are, in general, trying to decrease dynamic range i.e. prevent jolts of sound that will affect the trance you're attempting to create in the mind of the listener. More so than say rock or house. On the other hand, I have a focusrite LiquidMix, which might make me a little compression happy :)

Sorry about the site problems. There are MP3 download links which you can use (hopefully) at the bottom of each track page. The site is written in iWeb, which is easy to use, but not the most flexible tool. I'm going to rewrite it in Ruby on Rails over the next few weeks/months.

• Hi Dave, only for the first oine i've seen an actual mp3 download link. the rest wasn't there.

Hope to listen to other song in near future. :)

• ah. You have to click on each track to get the track page with MP3 link. I might try and jig around the list so the MP3 link shows up there

I might take the quicktime entries off. They take waaaay too long to load, hey

• in my case i had to install quicktime. Think most people don't want to install tools in order to listen to your songs or whatever.

So best is to seperate the movies from the songs, yes.

:thumbup:

• I've just had a quick listen to Journey part 1 and it's a very nicely constructed track. I think it would be a very good idea to host the tracks on something like soundcloud or soundclick as there's a bit of a slog to get past the website and onto the music. I also think the messages about the samples used aren't really necessary as they don't really define the track in any way, not the one I listened to at least.

Mixwise I'd like to hear the kick a bit more, it gets lost in the mix sometimes so maybe ducking the bassline a bit will help keep it at the forefront.

Most importantly you've got great energy in the mix, and that's what's hardest to achieve sometimes :thumbup:

Nice work