Powered USB hub solution?

• Hi there,

I know I'm supposed to keep a port open for my TI, but I have a new MacBook Pro and I'm running out of power on the other USB port with the external (powered) drives, usb powered controllers, etc.... this has to be a common issue.

Can anyone suggest a high-end usb hub that will actually put out consistent power? I used the one Apple recommended - the belkin 7-port powered hub (http://www.amazon.com/7-PORT-D…-USB-Hub-ps/dp/B002K3Y2MM)

At the time Apple was selling it from their site - so I bought it from them. Looks like they don't sell it anymore.

Anyway, it's powered and not supplying enough power. I also have 2 of these - http://www.belkin.com/IWCatPro…process?Product_Id=158910 and they don't work either... yes, they're powered hubs....

I've been looking at Digi.com hubs because they seem to be taking this seriously... but their best option doesn't mention working with macs... I have an email out to them asking about all this... no response yet..

http://www.google.com/products…86062746525&os=tech-specs

I am willing to spend the money - I want 4 to 7 USB ports in a portable solution with GOOD power and throughput.

:?: Has anyone found a good solution?

(On a different tip all together - the search on this forum doesn't seem to work and I wasn't able to search for a thread about this.)

• USB 2.0 hubs have a dirty little secret. Most of them use a chipset based on a single translation design, as these chipsets are cheaper. The translation handler affects how the USB hub deals with USB 1.x devices that are connected to it. And since the Virus is a USB 1.1 device, this is important.

With a single translation based chipset, all USB 1.x devices on the hub share a single translation channel. Thus, if you also have things like a keyboard or mouse connected to the hub (which are almost always still USB 1.x devices as well), they will share a single 12mbit USB 1.x channel back to the host machine with your Virus. Many music controllers (e.g., Akai MPD series, etc.) are also USB 1.x devices. Sharing a single USB 1.x channel can result in bandwidth issues, sync issues, etc. You want to avoid single translation chipsets.

Multi translation chipset designs give each USB 1.x device its own 1.x<->2 translation channel. Thus, each device gets its own dedicated 12mbit USB 1.x channel to play with. You no longer have to worry about conflict between devices, and USB behavior for things that are timing and/or bandwidth sensitive will be MUCH more stable.

But as I said, most USB 2 hubs use a single transaction chipset to save on cost. And nobody publishes this in their tech specs (even the folks making hubs based on a multi transaction chipset it seems). Without calling and consulting with tech support, you usually have no way to know. That said, one hub that is known to have a multi transaction chipset and which I personally own 4 or 5 of and have had no issues with (not used with the Virus, but with other audio interfaces) is the Belkin F5U237v1 7-port USB2 hub. I'm not sure if this is the same as the Apple hub you mentioned or not (did not follow your link, sorry). You mention power problems, which I've never had, as I always use the included power supply to drive the hub.

• On the recommendation of the forum moderator, Marc, I tried inserting a hub between my TI and my Core i7 iMac. However, after doing so, the diagnostic window in the Virus Control editor appears with a message telling me to remove the hub. All the other tabs are grayed out thus making the Virus Control software inoperable.

Is there any way to override this diagnostic window?

I'm running the latest version of the Virus OS (4.5.0.16).

Synths: D-550, EX-8000, Matrix-1000, Microwave, Microwave XT, MKS-50, MKS-80, Nord Rack 2, Nord Rack 3, Pro One, Prophet '08 Rack, Pulse, Pulse 2, Shruthi, TX7, Virus kb, XV-5080, Maschine
    Computer: Core i7-970 3.20 GHz Hexacore, ASUS P6X58-E PRO, ATI FirePro 2460 quad head, RME RayDAT w/4x Alesis AI3, 2x MOTU MIDI Express 128, Cubase 7.5

• Uhm, The virus is a USB 2.0 device. This has been covered several times already. Please check your facts.

Indulgence gets us friends, but truth gets us hatred.

OB-6, Polivoks, Polivoks Pro, Virus TI x2, Waldorf M, MS-20, MS2000, Radias, Minilogue, Minitaur, Argon8, Erebus, Alpha Juno 2, TR-8S, Xio 49, Ultranova, Microfreak,

• Uhm, The virus is a USB 2.0 device. This has been covered several times already. Please check your facts.

From page 6 of the set-up guide:

Zitat

As a result, if you use a USB2 hub, the Virus TI should be the only USB1 device
    connected to this hub.

:wacko:

You sound like a dumbass when you don't know what you are talking about. Please leave this discussion to those of us who are trying to resolve our issues with the TI (which is in fact a USB1 device).

Synths: D-550, EX-8000, Matrix-1000, Microwave, Microwave XT, MKS-50, MKS-80, Nord Rack 2, Nord Rack 3, Pro One, Prophet '08 Rack, Pulse, Pulse 2, Shruthi, TX7, Virus kb, XV-5080, Maschine
    Computer: Core i7-970 3.20 GHz Hexacore, ASUS P6X58-E PRO, ATI FirePro 2460 quad head, RME RayDAT w/4x Alesis AI3, 2x MOTU MIDI Express 128, Cubase 7.5

• You sound like a dumbass when you don't know what you are talking about. Please leave this discussion to those of us who are trying to resolve our issues with the TI (which is in fact a USB1 device).

Then why has Marc posted on this forum several times that the TI is 2.0??

http://virus.info/forum/index.…ead&threadID=259&pageNo=2

Educate yourself....

OB-6, Polivoks, Polivoks Pro, Virus TI x2, Waldorf M, MS-20, MS2000, Radias, Minilogue, Minitaur, Argon8, Erebus, Alpha Juno 2, TR-8S, Xio 49, Ultranova, Microfreak,

• Then why has Marc posted on this forum several times that the TI is 2.0??

http://virus.info/forum/index.…ead&threadID=259&pageNo=2

Educate yourself....

Why is it that people who don't know what they are talking about persist in making fools of themselves? Launch the System Profiler app on your Mac, open the USB section, and read what it says for your Virus TI connection speed. The TI, a USB1 device, operates at 12 megabits per second. (USB2 operates at 480 Mbps.)

Can we move on now?

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von MusicMaven ()

• USB 1.0 ports haven't been manufactured since at least 2002 at least since the USb 2.0 Standard was introduced in 2000.

From a hardware standpoint the port on the TI is 2.0 however it runs at 1.0 speed. I even had a look at the port chipset on my Pølar myself when I disassembled it earlier this year to fix a failed pitch bend wheel and the port is indeed 2.0.

So in essence the TI could run at much higher speeds but its firmware disallows it.

Why is it that people who don't know what they are talking about persist in making fools of themselves? Launch the System Profiler app on your Mac, open the USB section, and read what it says for your Virus TI connection speed. The TI, a USB1 device, operates at 12 megabits per second. (USB2 operates at 480 Mbps.)

Can we move on now?

• On the recommendation of the forum moderator, Marc, I tried inserting a hub between my TI and my Core i7 iMac. However, after doing so, the diagnostic window in the Virus Control editor appears with a message telling me to remove the hub. All the other tabs are grayed out thus making the Virus Control software inoperable.

Is there any way to override this diagnostic window?

I'm running the latest version of the Virus OS (4.5.0.16).

you should try the latest version
    marc

• cwichura - thank you. this is one of best posts on this topic so far. if you don't mind i would like to quote a portion in the setup guide.

here's couple of comments to the other posts:
    - the virus cannot produce a bus power problem because it does not consume power from the USB bus or announces itself as a device that would
    - the chipset used in the TI is USB 2.0 compatible but does not support high speed transactions. that cannot be changed by firmware
    - the error message indicating a hub problem slipped into 4.5.0.06 by mistake and has been removed with 4.5.1.05

in general the problems some of you deal with have everything to do with what cwichura lines out. the bandwidth is there, the TI just doesn't get it. it is all about Transaction Translator related issues.

best, marc

• But will the Ti it in a future update be able to be USB 3 compatible as these ports would have there own bandwidth as in not sharing any with usb 1.1/usb 2 as a look in my mother board manual shows usb 3 utilizing its own NEC chip!

• USB 3, My motherboard has USB 3 ports. These ports are specialy labeled on the back. In the manual it shows these ports clearly routing through the NEC chip direct to the Northbridge, unlike the normal USB ports that connect direct to the Southbridge.

At first glance I thought wicked, I'll plug my virus into the USB 3 port. Simply because I wouldn't be using the other USB 3 port and they are backward compatible. After getting problems I checked my device manager/usb connections and My Virus TI was sharing bandwidth with my MIDISport. How could this be??? My MIDISport was plugged into a standard port. My virus should be going through the NEC chip Northbridge and the MIDISport Southbridge.

More studying of the block diagram in the manual and I discovered that I had 12 standard USB connections linked to the southbridge, 2 USB 3 connections linked to the northbridge (via NEC) but an actual of only 12 USB connections. This includes 4 from 2 internal headers. I'm guessing the rear USB 3 ports switch between the NEC chip/northbridge and the southbridge depending on what's connected.

Through a lot of Plug & Play, I discovered that I had 1 rear port that was shared with an internal USB header. I've left this internal header unused, this way I will know for sure my Virus will remain, ALWAYS on it's own connection.

Overall I'd say the way USB's share hubs etc are totaly not the obvious way they are grouped on the back, not just the USB 3's even the standard ports.

So, the Virus already is USB 3 compatible but that wont make a difference, lol.

• I have an X58 chipset and usb 3 ports that don't work for me, but have also read on this forum somewhere that the NEC chipset for usb 3 motherboards dose not work at the moment. so maybe you are lucky

• I have just received the Belkin F5U237. Mine is rev3. It's working fine so far, although I've just had the chance to test it for couple of days only. Just like Marc and Jorg advised - most of the sync and glitches problems are gone. I would say some 95% with the remaining 5% not being worth mentioning (except for some cases when Virus is not seen by the system at all and the only way to make it visible again is restart).

The hub is self powered, but also WORKS FINE WITHOUT THE POWER ADAPTER CONNECTED - I noticed no difference with and without external power (virus is my only device connected to the hub). Without power adapter it is still functioning as a multi translation device, probably does not provide enough current for the USB ports, but with Virus - who cares... Virus does not draw any current fro the USB (not any significant). Virus control does not mention any sort of a USB related conflict, or a potential problem.

Without power adapter there are less cables, same functionality. I am just thinking of a way to put the chipset inside my TI...